User Avatar Image

Questions for Mike Stemmle? Post 'em here!

posted by Emily on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

While the Q&A with the team thread is quite possibly the coolest thread in the history of Telltale's forum, we wanted to give you guys a chance to get a little more in depth with the folks working on the game, so starting this week we will be doing Q&As with specific members of the Tales of Monkey Island team... starting with designer Mike Stemmle!

[quote=Tales of Monkey Island team page]During his decade-plus tenure at LucasArts, Mike was kept as far away from Star Wars as possible, instead acting as lead designer on titles like Escape from Monkey Island, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Afterlife, and the never-released Sam & Max: Freelance Police. After several years working as lead writer on Star Trek Online, Mike came to Telltale, where he co-designed Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People. His disturbing blend of dry wit, convoluted syntactical constructions, and bathroom humor have added a healthy helping of absurdity to the Tales of Monkey Island proceedings.[/quote]

Mike's the lead writer/designer on the first Tales of Monkey Island episode, Launch of the Screaming Narwhal, so you should definitely pick his brain about that. But also feel free to ask about other projects he's worked on, his favorite color, his favorite Star Trek character, etc.

169 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • How is your last name pronounced? Stemm-ul? Stemm-lee? I keep hearing both in interviews and things.

• @PariahKing said: For the future games it's not impossible to retcon a solution to all the "problems" into the story but there's no real need to in game - it'd stick out like a big sore thumb. That's why ToMI just starts way after Escape.

I know there is no real need to tidy up the few "problems" like Herman Toothrot is H.T. Marley and the whole who pushed H.T. Marley into the whirlpool thing but if they chose to clean it up it could be done in a joking way, like it being explained and then Guybrush responding really sarcasticaly that it makes a lot of sense.

• @PariahKing said: At least one similar already existed in Curse. If I remember correctly there's some plot explanation for H.T. Marley's death that makes Elaine much older than Guybrush, yet she doesn't appear that much older than him. The story doesn't internally conflict which is really most important. And if a character says something another disagrees with, just remember - LeChuck and Ozzie are evil, wicked people who I'm sure would lie for the sake of their own ego.

For the future games it's not impossible to retcon a solution to all the "problems" into the story but there's no real need to in game - it'd stick out like a big sore thumb. That's why ToMI just starts way after Escape.

Incorrect, or at least I am pretty sure you are. In CMI LeChuck claims to have pushed Grandpa Marley into a whirlpool during the America's cup, clearly stating this happened after discovering big whoop which happened after him being rejected by Elaine. This does not contradict anything stated in MI1 or MI2.

Because all this happened after Elaine rejected LeChuck you would assume these events would be quite recent, with in the last 10 years at least. As far as I know at no point in the first 3 Monkey Island games is it mentioned how long ago H.T Marley dissappeared.

However it is mentioned in Monkey Island 1 that Herman has been on Monkey Island for over 20 years. So in order for Herman to be Grandpa Marley EMI added the detail that his dissapearence occured over 20 years ago and ignored the fact that he sailed to Monkey Island on the Sea Monkey. By doing this EMI breaks the explanation of events presented in Monkey Island 3 without replacing it with an explanation of it's own.

There are still things that don't make sense or aren't well explained in MI3, but nothing near as bad as the plot holes introduced in EMI. The easiest way to mend the continuity would be to pretend EMI never happened, which would be a pitty because as I said, it's not a bad game, it just made a mess of the story. I can understand Telltale wanting to distance themselves from it. I wonder if they will explain how LeChuck got his ego back.

I for one would like to see story stored out at some point. Doesn't matter if any necessary retcons stick out like a sore thumb, the contradictions already do if you play through the series in order or try to explain the story anyone.

/Continuity OCD rant

• @prizna said: I know there is no real need to tidy up the few "problems" like Herman Toothrot is H.T. Marley and the whole who pushed H.T. Marley into the whirlpool thing but if they chose to clean it up it could be done in a joking way, like it being explained and then Guybrush responding really sarcasticaly that it makes a lot of sense.

Yes, that would be good :D

• It could be a mystical time-vortex whirlpool?
    I'm just trying to help!

• Have you ever made a mistake so bad that the head of department yelled out "Stemm-leeee!!" while shaking his fist at the air and between puffs on his cigar?

How many monkeys are there in Tales? I will not accept any answer other than "more than the previous Monkey Island games combined". Or I will sulk.

Will Guybrush be mistreating any animals? It's not a Monkey Island game without it! Or indeed a LucasArts or Telltale adventure game. Hamsters, dogs, parrots, rabbity-things, monkeys, cows, rat creatures, chickens, battery-powered bunnies, bigfoots, tentacles...

• [quote=nadir]I wonder if they will explain how LeChuck got his ego back.[/quote]

I belive they don't have to - LeChuck broke free from the power of Ultimate Insult at the end of EMI - he attacked Ozzie and destroyed the talisman. I don't think that would be possible while he was still ego-less.

• @The Tingler said: Have you ever made a mistake so bad that the head of department yelled out "Stemm-leeee!!" while shaking his fist at the air and between puffs on his cigar?

HaHAhaHaHaHa! Flint-stoooooone!

Please answer this one! Please please! :D:D

• Mr. Stemmle, what happen your awesome looking beard? :(

• @Novotnus said: I belive they don't have to - LeChuck broke free from the power of Ultimate Insult at the end of EMI - he attacked Ozzie and destroyed the talisman. I don't think that would be possible while he was still ego-less.

Ah, I read that wrong. I interpreted that as LeChuck becoming demoralised and hitting himself on the head for failing, crushing Ozzie unintentionally as a result. Pretty silly :P

I'm still confused how exactly 3 draws frees LeChuck him from Ozzies control though.

Add Comment