User Avatar Image

Questions for Mike Stemmle? Post 'em here!

posted by Emily on - last edited - Viewed by 3.1K users

While the Q&A with the team thread is quite possibly the coolest thread in the history of Telltale's forum, we wanted to give you guys a chance to get a little more in depth with the folks working on the game, so starting this week we will be doing Q&As with specific members of the Tales of Monkey Island team... starting with designer Mike Stemmle!

[quote=Tales of Monkey Island team page]During his decade-plus tenure at LucasArts, Mike was kept as far away from Star Wars as possible, instead acting as lead designer on titles like Escape from Monkey Island, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Afterlife, and the never-released Sam & Max: Freelance Police. After several years working as lead writer on Star Trek Online, Mike came to Telltale, where he co-designed Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People. His disturbing blend of dry wit, convoluted syntactical constructions, and bathroom humor have added a healthy helping of absurdity to the Tales of Monkey Island proceedings.[/quote]

Mike's the lead writer/designer on the first Tales of Monkey Island episode, Launch of the Screaming Narwhal, so you should definitely pick his brain about that. But also feel free to ask about other projects he's worked on, his favorite color, his favorite Star Trek character, etc.

169 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Novotnus said: I belive they don't have to - LeChuck broke free from the power of Ultimate Insult at the end of EMI - he attacked Ozzie and destroyed the talisman. I don't think that would be possible while he was still ego-less.

Nah, he wasn't consciously attacking Ozzie - if you tie in Monkey Kombat, one of the actions the opposing monkey does is slap his head with both hands. By tying with LeChuck a few times, you've tricked him into doing this action and destroying the Ultimate Insult jammed on his head.

How did LeChuck get out of it? Either destroying the Ultimate Insult releases its power (doubtful, as that puppet show pirate was still much the same) or it only affected LeChuck's 'Stone Pirate' or 'Demon Pirate' form. This is why he looks like Zombie Pirate again.

I think. :rolleyes: Mike?

• @The Tingler said: Nah, he wasn't consciously attacking Ozzie - if you tie in Monkey Kombat, one of the actions the opposing monkey does is slap his head with both hands. By tying with LeChuck a few times, you've tricked him into doing this action and destroying the Ultimate Insult jammed on his head.

How did LeChuck get out of it? Either destroying the Ultimate Insult releases its power (doubtful, as that puppet show pirate was still much the same) or it only affected LeChuck's 'Stone Pirate' or 'Demon Pirate' form. This is why he looks like Zombie Pirate again.

I think. :rolleyes: Mike?

Ah right, I remember the monkey's doing that. I guess that makes sense... sort of. Not the best puzzle.

The wiki entry on LeChuck has got this wrong too. Good to know I wasn't the only one left a little confused by the ending.

How about we just say that LeChucks ego is so large it could never be destroyed completely, and 'regrew' it over time. That'd be good enough for me.

• Here goes my two cents:

When Guybrush ask Herman how to reverse the effects of the UI, he said something about knowing the language of the monkeys (thats what the ultimate insult was all about, monkey insults). While in Monkey Kombat the technic of copying the rivals move wont do anything significant (neither the insults), on a bigger scale it would reverse the effects of the UI.
    Just look at LeChuck the first two times you do that. He looks confused, and the last time its like he has been shut down (thats how Elaine escapes his hand)

• I never played Monkey Island 4.

Will playing it make me enjoy the new Monkey Island episodes more?

• [quote=The Tingler]Nah, he wasn't consciously attacking Ozzie - if you tie in Monkey Kombat, one of the actions the opposing monkey does is slap his head with both hands. By tying with LeChuck a few times, you've tricked him into doing this action and destroying the Ultimate Insult jammed on his head.

How did LeChuck get out of it? Either destroying the Ultimate Insult releases its power (doubtful, as that puppet show pirate was still much the same) or it only affected LeChuck's 'Stone Pirate' or 'Demon Pirate' form. This is why he looks like Zombie Pirate again.[/quote]

Just take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bw5g-Mqax8
    LeChuck looks like he's attacking Ozzie with intention to kill him (see this last punch). Anyways, seems like Ozzie is commanding LeChuck while he's under Ultimate Insult influence (I guess so, as Ozzie is a master of insult fighting and LeChuck's unbeatable durign that fight) and that's something Ozzie wouldn't command him to do...

• @Novotnus said: Just take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bw5g-Mqax8
    LeChuck looks like he's attacking Ozzie with intention to kill him (see this last punch). Anyways, seems like Ozzie is commanding LeChuck while he's under Ultimate Insult influence (I guess so, as Ozzie is a master of insult fighting and LeChuck's unbeatable durign that fight) and that's something Ozzie wouldn't command him to do...

I never noticed before, but does this remind anybody else of the ending to Wonderbird? (a 1953 animated film)

• @dpmedeiros said: I never played Monkey Island 4.

Will playing it make me enjoy the new Monkey Island episodes more?

Probably but I'd suspect you will also enjoy it as a game in it's own right.

• I think what 'The Tingler' says makes sense. While not very obvious or logical the puzzle relies on LeChuck having identical/similar reaction animations to the monkey's who at some point do hit themselves over the head during Monkey Kombat. I don't recall exactly if that animation plays only after drawing or after 3 draws, but if it does then I think that pretty much confirms that is the logic behind the puzzle for defeating Ozzie.

I know it looks a bit like he is attacking Ozzie but I think that was just played up for dramatic purposes. Notice LeChuck's expression remains unchanged and he does not say anything that would make it clear that he has regained control like "take this Ozzie." I'm convinced he is just hitting himself on the head like the Monkeys do.

If you have a better theory that explains how exactly 3 draws in Monkey Kombat allows LeChuck to regain control I'd like to hear it.

If only there was someone on this thread who could settle this dispute once and for all...

• While the insults in Monkey Kombat made you lose energy/bananas, the draws made you and your opponent regain energy/bananas. (?)
    Since the ultimate insult and monkey insults are pretty much the same (just in a different scale) you can replace "energy/bananas" with moral energy? maybe? (??) Yeah its weird but you asked for it.
    That way, by making 3 draws you made Lechuck s moral energy to be full again (???)...uhh...yeah...whatever.

Anyway, just look at LeChuck, for me its pretty clear he was back to normal at the end.

• @nadir said: I think what 'The Tingler' says makes sense. While not very obvious or logical the puzzle relies on LeChuck having identical/similar reaction animations to the monkey's who at some point do hit themselves over the head during Monkey Kombat. I don't recall exactly if that animation plays only after drawing or after 3 draws, but if it does then I think that pretty much confirms that is the logic behind the puzzle for defeating Ozzie.

I know it looks a bit like he is attacking Ozzie but I think that was just played up for dramatic purposes. Notice LeChuck's expression remains unchanged and he does not say anything that would make it clear that he has regained control like "take this Ozzie." I'm convinced he is just hitting himself on the head like the Monkeys do.

If you have a better theory that explains how exactly 3 draws in Monkey Kombat allows LeChuck to regain control I'd like to hear it.

If only there was someone on this thread who could settle this dispute once and for all...

This does seem to be the only theory that makes sense. I always just assumed there was no logic to that puzzle (and that's the reason I hated it so much) but this seems to be a somewhat plausible explanation.

Add Comment