User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Team

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 6.2K users

Welcome to the secret forum! As a thank you for pre-ordering, we've created this little backstage area where you can hang out with the development team, keep an eye on the development of Tales of Monkey Island, and hopefully get your hands on things before we go wide with them to the public.

First off, though, let's start a Q&A thread!

Any questions you've got for the development team, ask 'em here!
We'll try to dogpile this thread with high quality facts and higher quality lies conversation!

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Abel said: 8 days left and I just wondered if there will be a demo before the release?

Good Lord, please NOT! This would completely kill any kind of pleasant anticipation :eek:

• Will we get a preview of the next episode after each one?

• User Avatar Image
    MarkDarin Telltale Staff

@Junaid said: Will we get a preview of the next episode after each one?

We aren't doing previews for this one. We want to use up every single second of time to make sure the episode itself is as perfect as we can get it. And every single free byte of space on the Wii for the game itself!

• User Avatar Image
    Dave Grossman Telltale Staff

@Gryffalio said: I've got a question for Dave Grossman (or anyone else could probably answer I guess)
    In the Facebook Q&A he did, he said about LeChuck's voice actor being a she, and I took it as a joke, but then in this thread people seem a little confused.

Is LeChuck really a girl? :)

No. I just like to stir up trouble whenever possible.

• @MarkDarin said: We aren't doing previews for this one. We want to use up every single second of time to make sure the episode itself is as perfect as we can get it. And every single free byte of space on the Wii for the game itself!

So by that same logic, you're working to make the Tales episodes larger? My biggest issue with SBCG4AP was that the Wii release always seemed to be "holding back" the PC release wherever you turned, especially in terms of release dates(which you seem to have worked out for the PC players, woohoo!).

• @Dave Grossman said: No. I just like to stir up trouble whenever possible.

It was a great rumor. You should've let it go on until release. It would've been legendary. XD

• @Rather Dashing said: So by that same logic, you're working to make the Tales episodes larger? My biggest issue with SBCG4AP was that the Wii release always seemed to be "holding back" the PC release wherever you turned, especially in terms of release dates(which you seem to have worked out for the PC players, woohoo!).

While it's true that most of the space Strong Bad used for minigames and previews and such went into the main game for Monkey, that doesn't mean there's a 1:1 correlation of "one extra environment" or whatever. More than anything, it's not so much the pure pixels and polygons used, but the effort that went into those things has gone into the main game, so hopefully the experience will just feel richer.

• @hplikelike said: In defense of the people who want it (I couldn't care less, but I like this idea), one could also look at it as a book. Books are divided into chapters, (Think "episodes"), that can end suspensfully, and you can stop at the end if you want. If you want to fluidly keep going, you don't have to put down the book in order to get the next chapter.

(Yes, I also see the other side, where a book ends suspensfully and you have to wait for the sequel, but I still think its a good point.)

Bringing back a somewhat-dead topic I know, but I've been busy lately so haven't had a chance to ride the behemoth that is "Q&A With the Team" lately.
    I see the different episodes less as chapters, and more like short stories part of a single collection. I have read more early twentieth century serials than most women my age, which isn't saying a lot, and they really do feel different from chapters in one continuous story. They might have arcs that spread across the stories, but in the end they are still separate entities unto themselves as well, and that really changes the rhythm of the telling. I might read two or three stories at a time, but I never read a whole book of them at once. In a weird way, it makes me feel like I'm rushing the characters. They make it so evident that time has passed for them from one story to the other, that they have been working "behind-the-scenes" in a way to make this story happen. It's kind of an odd thing to describe, but it makes me kind of wish there were still magazines printing serials. Maybe that's one reason I like Telltale so much, they're modern day Frank L. Packards.

• @Dave Grossman said: Sacrilege!

Hahah, I know, this is going to be the first MI game without any kind of reference to Sam & Max, apparently. :(

But, Dave, you co-designed DOTT! You should be honored. Unless you were expecting royalties or something. :p

BTW, I can't believe Dave Grossman replied to my post. I mean, even though he sneakly avoided the first part of the question (DAMN, YOU! *shakes fists*), it's still THE Dave Grossman. For an old time adventure gamer such as myself, I can't stress enough how cool this is. Thanks TTG for existing and allowing that moment to happen.

You won't get rid of my question that easily, though. Here it goes again:

@Dave Grossman said: Also, I have a question for the fine people at TTG: Monkey Island is a series of games known for its spoofs, humorous references, in-jokes and Easter eggs. I'd like to know how much of that kind of thing can we expect from the TOMI episodes. More specifically, are we getting anything related to Lucasfilm properties, like Star Wars and Indy (since TOMI is being developed by TTG under license from LucasArts), or, at least, to Sam & Max (now that TTG is their new home and because they have been in every MI game so far)?

I'd ask the LA guys the same thing if I had the chance. It appears that they have replaced the statue resembling our favorite pair of dog and rabbity thing for one of the equally beloved Purple Tentacle, at the entrance to the giant Monkey Head in SOMI:SE (due to their S&M license being expired and all).

• @Dave Grossman said: No. I just like to stir up trouble whenever possible.

It would have been so cool to find out LeChuck's a girl (though more in-game than VO) :<

@Dave Grossman said: BTW, I can't believe Dave Grossman replied to my post. it's [...] THE Dave Grossman.

This forum is sweet. Dave Grossman, Mike Stemmle, Sean Vanaman and Dominic Armato have all answered questions from me.

... now I can go to work happy :)

Add Comment