User Avatar Image

Questions for Mike Stemmle? Post 'em here!

posted by Emily on - last edited - Viewed by 2.8K users

While the Q&A with the team thread is quite possibly the coolest thread in the history of Telltale's forum, we wanted to give you guys a chance to get a little more in depth with the folks working on the game, so starting this week we will be doing Q&As with specific members of the Tales of Monkey Island team... starting with designer Mike Stemmle!

[quote=Tales of Monkey Island team page]During his decade-plus tenure at LucasArts, Mike was kept as far away from Star Wars as possible, instead acting as lead designer on titles like Escape from Monkey Island, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Afterlife, and the never-released Sam & Max: Freelance Police. After several years working as lead writer on Star Trek Online, Mike came to Telltale, where he co-designed Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People. His disturbing blend of dry wit, convoluted syntactical constructions, and bathroom humor have added a healthy helping of absurdity to the Tales of Monkey Island proceedings.[/quote]

Mike's the lead writer/designer on the first Tales of Monkey Island episode, Launch of the Screaming Narwhal, so you should definitely pick his brain about that. But also feel free to ask about other projects he's worked on, his favorite color, his favorite Star Trek character, etc.

169 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @ttg_Stemmle said: Hey guys, sorry I've been away so long, but we've been bolting down the press build for Chapter 1

Is it worrying that the thought of the press playing Episode 1 before me makes me feel physically sick?

:D

• @Toothless Gibbon said: Is it worrying that the thought of the press playing Episode 1 before me makes me feel physically sick?

Don't worry, it's probably just swine flu.

• @ttg_Stemmle said: No Goodsoups currently planned in Ep 4, just a good old fashioned pirate-y trial and execution for Guybrushs's various crimes.

As for plot holes, my preferred modus operandi is navigate around them rather than fill them. These stories are short enough as it is without wasting a heckuvalotta time on continuity smoothing. That said, if I can retcon a really bad idea (particularly one of mine) away with a single line of funny dialog, I'll jump at the chance.

Note the complete lack of an actual answer there,
    Mike

actually, that answered my question perfectly, thanks!

• @nadir said: I think what 'The Tingler' says makes sense. While not very obvious or logical the puzzle relies on LeChuck having identical/similar reaction animations to the monkey's who at some point do hit themselves over the head during Monkey Kombat. I don't recall exactly if that animation plays only after drawing or after 3 draws, but if it does then I think that pretty much confirms that is the logic behind the puzzle for defeating Ozzie.

I know it looks a bit like he is attacking Ozzie but I think that was just played up for dramatic purposes. Notice LeChuck's expression remains unchanged and he does not say anything that would make it clear that he has regained control like "take this Ozzie." I'm convinced he is just hitting himself on the head like the Monkeys do.

If you have a better theory that explains how exactly 3 draws in Monkey Kombat allows LeChuck to regain control I'd like to hear it.

If only there was someone on this thread who could settle this dispute once and for all...

Well,if I remember correctly, Father Elegro Resputin tells Guybrush that to reverse a voodoo curse, you need a bigger voodoo curse, and that's what the whole ending battle was about. The draw caused Lechuck to destroy the ultimate insult, because maybe also to reverse the effects of the ultimate insult, you need to destroy it during monkey kombat, im not sure, but that's what i thought anyway.

• @ttg_Stemmle said: No Goodsoups currently planned in Ep 4, just a good old fashioned pirate-y trial and execution for Guybrushs's various crimes.

As for plot holes, my preferred modus operandi is navigate around them rather than fill them. These stories are short enough as it is without wasting a heckuvalotta time on continuity smoothing. That said, if I can retcon a really bad idea (particularly one of mine) away with a single line of funny dialog, I'll jump at the chance.

Note the complete lack of an actual answer there,
    Mike

haha, I can already imagine Guybrush trying to find an escape while someone is reading out the never ending list of stolen items and other crimes Guybrush has comitted.

I agree with your MO. Focusing on the characters and jokes, making Tales the best game it can be rather than getting tied up in the back story is probably the best way forward.

• Hey Mike! First, I just want to say thank you so much for all your hard work on this project. Making alot of people happy. My question has to do with the character of LeChuck. Will his role be that of the classic cold and main villain or is there gonna to be another main villain?

• @Toothless Gibbon said: Is it worrying that the thought of the press playing Episode 1 before me makes me feel physically sick?

I wasn't going to mention it, but the thought of me making Toothless Gibbon physically sick gives me a warm feeling... although it could just be the sick on my feet.

Ok, next question for Mike, I can't remember if this has been asked yet - Will you be Project Lead for all the episodes, or will it mix (n' mojo) up like other Telltale games?

• Soooo mr Stemmle... or can I say Mike? I'll just say Mike.

Allright Captain Loogie, in the gameplay movie, Elaine says that they will die... again
    Is she referring to:
    1) the fact that they already had a big adventure in which all sorts of crazy stuff happened we'll never find out?
    2) the beginning of EFMI, where they are declared dead
    c) the many times they were in great danger

• I thought it was 1), but now you've reminded me of 2), it could well be!

• User Avatar Image
    ttg_Stemmle Telltale Staff

@Junaid said: Soooo mr Stemmle... or can I say Mike? I'll just say Mike.

Allright Captain Loogie, in the gameplay movie, Elaine says that they will die... again
    Is she referring to:
    1) the fact that they already had a big adventure in which all sorts of crazy stuff happened we'll never find out?
    2) the beginning of EFMI, where they are declared dead
    c) the many times they were in great danger

For people who've never played a Monkey Island game, it's 1)

For people who've played EFMI, it's 1) and 2)

Crushing bugs like Linda Blair at the end of Exorcist II,
    Mike

Add Comment