User Avatar Image

Questions for Mike Stemmle? Post 'em here!

posted by Emily on - last edited - Viewed by 3.3K users

While the Q&A with the team thread is quite possibly the coolest thread in the history of Telltale's forum, we wanted to give you guys a chance to get a little more in depth with the folks working on the game, so starting this week we will be doing Q&As with specific members of the Tales of Monkey Island team... starting with designer Mike Stemmle!

[quote=Tales of Monkey Island team page]During his decade-plus tenure at LucasArts, Mike was kept as far away from Star Wars as possible, instead acting as lead designer on titles like Escape from Monkey Island, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Afterlife, and the never-released Sam & Max: Freelance Police. After several years working as lead writer on Star Trek Online, Mike came to Telltale, where he co-designed Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People. His disturbing blend of dry wit, convoluted syntactical constructions, and bathroom humor have added a healthy helping of absurdity to the Tales of Monkey Island proceedings.[/quote]

Mike's the lead writer/designer on the first Tales of Monkey Island episode, Launch of the Screaming Narwhal, so you should definitely pick his brain about that. But also feel free to ask about other projects he's worked on, his favorite color, his favorite Star Trek character, etc.

169 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Hehe okay, thanks for the answer

I hope to see more of these references to the never-seen adventures of Guybrush and Elaine. In fact, I hope we never find out LeChuck's plan with the monkeys (finding out their secret??), much more funnier that way :)

• User Avatar Image
    ttg_Stemmle Telltale Staff

@Toothless Gibbon said: Is it worrying that the thought of the press playing Episode 1 before me makes me feel physically sick?

:D

If it makes you feel better, the version the press got had a few unamusing bugs that you, the adoring public, will never get the pleasure of enduring.

Of course, the fact that the press saw those bugs makes ME physically sick :)

Mike

• @ttg_Stemmle said: Of course, the fact that the press saw those bugs makes ME physically sick :)

I don't think games reviewers have any credibility left after Empire: Total War.

• Hi Mike,

Once an episode is released how long after will details emerge about the next episode would it be at least a week or two after?

Is there also a possibility of those who've pre-ordered to have early access to the episodes just like what happened with Sam & Max when a couple of episodes were sent out a day or two early to all pre-order subscribers?

• @ttg_Stemmle said: If it makes you feel better, the version the press got had a few unamusing bugs that you, the adoring public, will never get the pleasure of enduring.

Of course, the fact that the press saw those bugs makes ME physically sick :)

Mike

Hi Mike,

As long as they are well informed that these bugs will be squashed it shouldn't be too bad... Hopefully.

Here are my questions:
    1. Who are your heroes, both in and outside of the games industry.

2. I realise this is a very important franchise with a lot of fans to please. For many this will be their first episodic adventure game, so it's got to make a good impression. I was wondering if a longer production cylce or a larger team has been allocated for TMI than previous telltale games, in order to help meet fan expectations.

3. Will forum goers get more opportunities to suggest book tiltes and the like for later episodes. I am concerned I may have put in my suggestions a little late.

4. You mentioned you like Zelda before. Which is your favourite Zelda game? I think Mines probably Majora's Mask, but it's a close call though.

Thanks for taking the time to talk to us on this thread, and good luck getting everything finished for Tuesday :D

• heyz, if I repeat others, sorry. I didn't read the eight pages of Q&A...

1) Can I have an E3 button?
    2) Can I have a E3 button?
    3) The most important one of all: Are us preorderers going to get to help with stuff like book titles and the like? (yeah, I think I just repeated someone...)
    4) Can I have an E3 button? (boy, that gets annoying to type)

• Hi Mike.

Thanks for taking the time to reply in this forum.

My questions with regards to game design is:

1. Do you ever worry that the episodes won't retain the feel of the full length games that came before? Is this even an issue or is it good to be different?
    2. Do the constant deadlines help or hinder?
    3. Is the overall story planned well in advance, or do major changes take place even towards the final episodes?
    4. Would the games have been made if Dominic wasn't available? Or would that have been a major deterrant?

Thanks!

• I wonder how do they manage with all this pressure?

• Having recently played CMI with its 3d acceleration button, wouldn´t it be nice to get a 2d acceleration button in TMI?

• @nadir said:
    Originally Posted by prizna View Post
    I know there is no real need to tidy up the few "problems" like Herman Toothrot is H.T. Marley and the whole who pushed H.T. Marley into the whirlpool thing but if they chose to clean it up it could be done in a joking way, like it being explained and then Guybrush responding really sarcasticaly that it makes a lot of sense.

Yes, that would be good :D

HT: "Sorry saying that I was your grandfather Elaine, was a sideffect of my
    amnesia, in fact I am your mother Luke... Guybrush "

HT:"What did I just say, I cannot remember anything"

Add Comment