User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Team

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 8.8K users

Welcome to the secret forum! As a thank you for pre-ordering, we've created this little backstage area where you can hang out with the development team, keep an eye on the development of Tales of Monkey Island, and hopefully get your hands on things before we go wide with them to the public.

First off, though, let's start a Q&A thread!

Any questions you've got for the development team, ask 'em here!
We'll try to dogpile this thread with high quality facts and higher quality lies conversation!

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • New here (better late than never) :)
    Were I still employed I may have joined/preordered sooner!
    Been a fan since release of MI1 and have loved all the quality Telltale has brought back to adventure games! Class act guys.
    I can't wait to see what you do with Monkey the Island series!

Thanks for being so awesome.

• On topic of "hard puzzles" and "verbs" and "useless items":

I agree that if most of the possible combinations lead to "null" the game gets boring quickly. However it was what I appreciated a lot in the MI games (and other Lucas games, especially the "i can't pick that up" lines from S&M Hit The Road) that most of these "null" results were still worth getting because they could include a funny line or some easter egg. So even when I did not solve a puzzle with every click I made, I still had a good time playing the game and was still satisfied when doing something for the progress, because I solved a puzzle instead of just taking the last possible option. In modern adventure games, I am missing such details.

Sure, having 9 or 12 different verbs like SMI or LR is a bit too much for unexperienced players (or probably for most players), but I think that 2 or 3 different actions in a similar way like in CMI should work, where the character still chooses the most appropriate one in the end (Look, Use/Pick Up/Push/Pull, Talk/Eat/Lick/???).

Also I like the idea of "useless" items that you just have, but never use (except for eastereggs, e.g. EFMI's artificial body parts, so they're not completely wasted). Having too little choices I think leads to trial-and-error-clicking-around-until-it-works, which is IMO not the way it's meant to be played. Too often I found myself solving a puzzle (in "modern" adventure games) based on the logic of "I have used this item already on puzzle #A, so puzzle #B can only be solved by another item" which is not very natural.

I could be wrong, because I have not analysed gaming behaviour of a high enough percentage of players, but this is the way I experienced it personally.

And of course there's still the option that you (TTG) are good enough to make a decent puzzle out of just one action per object.
    That I am in this secret board pretty much prooves that I trust you guys anyway. ;)

• @Guinea said:
    Also I like the idea of "useless" items that you just have, but never use (except for eastereggs, e.g. EFMI's artificial body parts, so they're not completely wasted).

I really like useless items too, much more than item combinations, as long as it actually fools me into thinking that it needs to be used somewhere. In The Great Cow Race, each character had an item the carried the entire game that was never used, but it was pretty obvious that it had no purpose, like Smiley's cheese sandwich.

• I like items with multiple uses more than useless items.

• Well, I finally caved and pre-ordered. ^^; I'm not sorry in the least, though my bank account might be.

I'm really excited to see what you do with this game series. Something that had bothered me about the two MI games I had played (A little bit of Curse and all of Escape) was that I never was very good about bending my mind in the really weird directions that the puzzles sometimes required, but I'm confident that the games will be just difficult enough without being frustrating. And that hints section will be a big help.

I'm pleased as all heck that we're seeing Guybrush again, and after buying SBCG4AP from Telltale, I can't think of a better company to do Monkey Island justice!

• @MarkDarin said: Simply clicking on an item will contextually do the thing most natrual. If there is a sword on the Ground, Guybrush will probably pick it up. If there is a drink on a bar, he will probably drink it. There is nothing worse than going through the whole list of verbs only to have Guybrush say "I don't want to do that" for 80% of them! (Ok, there are many things worse than that, but it's still annoying).

It's a noble reason, but the applications have been a little disappointing. For example in Fright of the Bumblebees if I click on the newspaper stand Wallace says something along the lines of "I don't need that" when I instead expected him to read it, so it's really still generic failure feedback. And in this case it's not really doing the most natural thing, it's assuming I want to pick it up, and just as frustrating. With verbs I was frustrated because the stuff I was trying to do was inappropriate (and may have a whole bunch of amusing failure feedback a la Host Master), not because what the game assumed I wanted to do inappropriate stuff.

At the very least I feel there should be a look verb or command, so the charcter could clue you in on what the object is and what the natural action seems to him, because it's not always the same natural action I'd think of. And when the action is appropriate but it's not the one I thought of, I'm robbed of the feeling I did something right, instead it's the character who figured it out.

• I really would have liked to have at least a look verb, so it can be explained what the item is, also wondering if it could be possible for the episodes to be updated some time down the track ,maybe for the DVD release, to include a few verbs (maybe the ones that were in Curse of Monkey Island)?

• Yeah... a variety of postive/negative feedback for different actions taken on an item actually made all those early games all the more interesting.

• Question for the team: Is Elaine's lipsync fixed? I'm refering to the game's intro, the line "And now we're going to die, again. Heh, wonderful!"

• @prizna said: I really would have liked to have at least a look verb, so it can be explained what the item is, also wondering if it could be possible for the episodes to be updated some time down the track ,maybe for the DVD release, to include a few verbs (maybe the ones that were in Curse of Monkey Island)?

From what I saw in the gameplay video, there is in fact a magnifying glass in the inventory, so we can at least examine our inventory items, which is a step in the right direction.

Add Comment