User Avatar Image

Questions for Dominic Armato!

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 7.7K users

If you see a guy with the username "dmnkly" skulking around, it's probably Dominic Armato, (better known as) the voice of Guybrush Threepwood!

If you've got any questions for Dom or just want to say hello, drop 'em here!

Dom answers! Let's take a look...

[LIST]
[*]First round of answers! June 1st
[*]Second round of answers! June 2nd
[*]Third round of answers! June 2nd -- again!
[*]Fourth round of answers! June 3rd
[*]Fifth round of answers! June 4th
[*]Sixth round of answers! June 4th -- again!
[*]Seventh round of answers! June 5th
[/LIST]

I don't know when this will end, but that's a lot of answered questions so far! Check those to see if your question has already been answered!

690 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Hi Dominic,

Just saying what a great job you do for the voice of Guybrush. I can't imagine any other person for the part!

• Glad to see you're back! I've been mentioning it to all my nerdy PC game friends from way back when, but they all somehow missed Monkey Island and only got hit with Sam & Max. Either way, I'll twist some arms and get them in on it.

2 days to go!

• hey,

is it such a detached experience in the voice booth that you can easily sit down and play the game despite hearing your own performance through the character on screen? I get the feeling you're not self-concious about your voice but then again you really can't be if you decide to go into voice acting? :)

Best
    Ken

• It looks as though Telltale is toning MI's notoriously challenging puzzles down a few notches, so there will be fewer hair-ripping frustrations. Do you think that this will do anything towards making the series more accessible?

• Hey there Dominic!
    I'll preface my questions with the usual:
    Huge fan of yours. Curse of Monkey Island is easily my favourite game of the series. The combination of the beautiful art, incredible music and your fantastic voice made it something else entirely. You were absolutely perfect for Guybrush, I didn't even stop to think how I'd imagined his voice before, I just loved it from the start. I always try to imagine your voice when I play the earlier games. I'm looking forward to seeing how accurate I was when the Special Edition comes out!

Anyway, I've read all your answers, and here's a couple of questions I'm not sure you've covered.

1) In the thread at the top talking to the developers, lots of people have voiced their dislike of Escape from Monkey Island. Clearly the decisions that led to this reaction were not in your hands, but what are your personal thoughts? What did you think of the game, and what did you think of the story? Personally, I hated the shit in graphics, and I didn't really get on with Monkey Kombat, the controls or even the story twists (a main villain who isn't Le Chuck?!?). I know you put your heart and soul into Guybrush, but I'm afraid it's a little less convincing when I'm not immersed in the world. That's not to say you weren't the star of the show!

2) How do you feel about the fact that Ron Gilbert's expressed dislike at some of the story decisions? You said you were ok with Guybrush and Elaine getting married (if I remember correctly), but there's a certain sense that the definitive story's been lost with the shift in script-writers. What do you think?

3) In an interview with David Hayter (voice of Solid Snake, aka Metal Gear Solid), he said he's often found that he's recorded all the lines for one of the games and then when he played it later he wished he'd recorded the line differently. Presumably all about the context of the line (you were talking about that earlier). Does this happen to you much, or are your Directors too good?

Thanks for your time!

• So, uh... You ever thought of recording a Guybrush GPS voice? ._.

• @Sir Pantalones said: So, uh... You ever thought of recording a Guybrush GPS voice? ._.

I want this.

• Wow. I never knew that all I want in life is a Guybrush Threepwood voice for GPS. But now I do.

Add Comment