User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Team

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 6.0K users

Welcome to the secret forum! As a thank you for pre-ordering, we've created this little backstage area where you can hang out with the development team, keep an eye on the development of Tales of Monkey Island, and hopefully get your hands on things before we go wide with them to the public.

First off, though, let's start a Q&A thread!

Any questions you've got for the development team, ask 'em here!
We'll try to dogpile this thread with high quality facts and higher quality lies conversation!

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I have a question.

Today is the 7th. It's 8AM.

WHERE IS MONKEY ISLAND?!?

• Fury, it's still the 6th for a lot of people. That's how it's going to be when a game is to be released at the same time for the whole world. Come on, a cpl of hours won't make a difference ;)

• Mr Grossman!

Would you be so kind as to put to bed the rumours surrounding the ending of Monkey Island 2. I know you worked on it, and Bill Tiller has spoken about it, so I thought you could possibly lay it to rest?

*spoiler alert for anyone who hasn't played the original MI games*

The rumour goes like this: There was always the idea that the ending of Monkey Island 1 would be that it was all just a Calvin & Hobbes style dream. That ending was never put in place, obviously, but parts of it were used for the ending of MI2... In the very end, though, two things were added to bring it back to the world of MI and keep the door open for any sequels: "Chuckie's" glowing malevolent eyes, and Elaine back on Dinky Island wondering where Guybrush was, pondering if LeChuck might have put a SPELL on Guybrush.

This, of course, means the poor old Guybrush did indeed have a spell put on him, but was there ever a moment when you thought about leaving the ending as was... Just in the amusement park?

Is this all true? Thanks so much for your reply!

• Good luck with the final haul guys! What're you going to do tomorrow once the game is out?

• @Sammichy said: Good luck with the final haul guys! What're you going to do tomorrow once the game is out?

Probably working on the second!

• @ThunderPeel2001 said: Mr Grossman!

Would you be so kind as to put to bed the rumours surrounding the ending of Monkey Island 2. I know you worked on it, and Bill Tiller has spoken about it, so I thought you could possibly lay it to rest?

*spoiler alert for anyone who hasn't played the original MI games*

The rumour goes like this: There was always the idea that the ending of Monkey Island 1 would be that it was all just a Calvin & Hobbes style dream. That ending was never put in place, obviously, but parts of it were used for the ending of MI2... In the very end, though, two things were added to bring it back to the world of MI and keep the door open for any sequels: "Chuckie's" glowing malevolent eyes, and Elaine back on Dinky Island wondering where Guybrush was, pondering if LeChuck might have put a SPELL on Guybrush.

This, of course, means the poor old Guybrush did indeed have a spell put on him, but was there ever a moment when you thought about leaving the ending as was... Just in the amusement park?

Is this all true? Thanks so much for your reply!

Ah, i have read some of the creators inverviews and posts saying that he [not 100% sure if this is right] no longer had control over the Monkey Island story line. He said [again not 100% sure more like 75%] that the true ending has YET to been shown. This is what i have learn...is it right? don't know...so yes I ask the same question as he did!

• Monkey Island 2 had a horrible ending. Seriously, it made MI2 the weakest in the series (until Mi4 came out).

I think 3 did it's best to salvage a plot from that ending, and most people will agree 3 was the best.

• That's kinda similar to one of my questions a page or two back.
    It's all about whether we accept Ron Gilbert's word as a canon or the canon of the subsequent games. If Ron's as stingy about this subject as he (occasionally) sounds, I can imagine this constant debate over the "correct" MI canon to be frustrating for the script-writers for Tales.
    On the other hand, Ron sounds like a nice guy. Maybe I'm making a fuss where there isn't one. Somebody'll answer my question and let me know...

• @Will said: We are *constantly* updating the system. I think with custom tools, you actually end up innovating more because you know the inner working of your tools so well. It's easy to walk up to one of the programmers and say "would this be possible to do." And if it isn't possible, they can usually suggest some reasonable work-around.

Thanks for the reply again! That sounds good.
    I guess my thoughts were from a design point-of-view. I wonder if you guys might design some bits in a certain way just because that's the way it's always done in your games and with your system. Or are you guys too creative for that?

I'm not really sure if that question's getting outside your job description, Will (I'm not really sure what your job is really). Are those kind of design decisions made by other people? I guess "code monkey" is the phrase. If that is your job, you could answer another question for me: How much creativity do you get within your particular job? I always imagine the designer making all the creative decisions. Is that true and does it frustrate you, or are there loads of things you get to be creative with?

Hopefully part of those two paragraphs made sense/was aimed at you!

• @Nojh said: I've liked every Monkey Island game that has come out although LeChuck's Revenge still holds the title rank, likely because it was the first I played.

Nojh

Ya I agree with that... Lechuck's Revenge was my Empire Strikes Back for tha series. And Escape from Monkey Island was a Phantom Menace. Ya feel me? Heh.

Add Comment