User Avatar Image

Is GameTap taking a day off? / No machinima short

posted by Legolas813 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.8K users

frank1copyim2.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The first machinima short is now up on GameTap. It'll be on this site on Monday.

41 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well I hope he comes back for the next episode. I had no problem with the voices in Hit the Road, the animated 90's TV show or Culture Shock, but this voice is just plain bad (sorry to whomever did it). ;)

• Is this recast just for the short?

• @Legolas813 said: Well I hope he comes back for the next episode. I had no problem with the voices in Hit the Road, the animated 90's TV show or Culture Shock, but this voice is just plain bad (sorry to whomever did it). ;)

Hey let's not start this again. I hope you were joking.

• I loved the voices in Culture Shock. I'm one of the few people who thinks they are almost perfect. This machinima voice just isn't as good.

• @Legolas813 said: I loved the voices in Culture Shock. I'm one of the few people who thinks they are almost perfect. This machinima voice just isn't as good.

Here's the story...

Andrew Chaikin won't be playing Max in episodes 2 or 3. This isn't because we weren't pleased with his performance (we loved it), nor was it for any financial or scheduling reason. Andrew had to pull out of his recording for Max, and all of his other acting gigs at the time, for personal, medical reasons.

We don't know a whole lot about the situation, and what we do know is personal so I won't be writing about it here, but Andrew was unable to record for said health reasons, so we waited, and pushed the voice recording deadline out as far as possible in hopes that he'd be better. Unfortunately that didn't happen. It got close enough to our internal release date for the game that we eventually had to arrive at the difficult decision to re-cast Max for the time-being, if not permanently. It sucks, and we wish Andrew the best in his recovery! He was great as Max in Culture Shock, and he's also of course the voice of Phoney Bone. Sadly, reality meant that we couldn't wait on the games forever; we had to move on with production.

Fortunately, the guy we got is awesome! His deliveries are spot on - his performances make the jokes come off as, you know, funny, instead of mundanely stomping them into the ground as is the case with so many "funny" video game voice performances. He even sounds quite a lot like Andrew, and as an extension, a lot like Max! The only people who noticed the new voice in our Episode 2 focus tests were people we actually told about the change. These are good signs. We miss Andrew, because he's excellent, but we're really really happy with where the voices are at right now.

Basically, it's my hope at this point that you guys trust our judgement on voice casting. There were huge waves of online hate about the voices sloshing back and forth in these forums before Culture Shock was released, but the overwhelming majority of players had nothing but praise for our choice of actors once they actually got their hands on the game. The consensus here at Telltale is that the voice performances in Situation Comedy and in Episode 3 are well above the high water mark set by Culture Shock, and we're sure players will agree once they get a chance to play it for themselves.

• Well I didn't notice the difference in the situation comedy gameplay video.. yep the voices in culture shock were good, im sure that will continue.. the delivery of sam's lines could be funnier though..

• User Avatar Image
    Mel

I am going to ask a potentially silly question. What the heck is a machinima?

• User Avatar Image
    Mel

Thanks for indulging my laziness Doug. :D

Add Comment