User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Team

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 13.5K users

Welcome to the secret forum! As a thank you for pre-ordering, we've created this little backstage area where you can hang out with the development team, keep an eye on the development of Tales of Monkey Island, and hopefully get your hands on things before we go wide with them to the public.

First off, though, let's start a Q&A thread!

Any questions you've got for the development team, ask 'em here!
We'll try to dogpile this thread with high quality facts and higher quality lies conversation!

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Dave Grossman said: Always controversial, isn't it? Some hate it, others love it, not too many opinions in the middle. Having a cliffhanger like that would have been a much better idea had Ron or any of us actually worked on the next game. Which, of course, we didn't, and poor Jonathan and Larry had to figure out what to do with it on their own. I thought their game was rather good.

I'm not going to say anything about what was or was not originally intended to follow that cliffhanger. I would caution you not to put too much faith into any particular rumor you might hear about it. Those who know don't tell, and those who tell don't know. Make up your own mind about what it means - that's what poetry is for (and, um, also the bizarre endings of funny computer games).

The plot thickens! :) That leaves me with two questions:

1. Why won't "those in the know" tell? (Will they ever change their minds?)

2. Surely the ending was quite clearly explained in the final moments of the game? We see "Chuckie" for his true self (Guybrush doesn't) and then we cut to Elaine, apparently alive and well and not a figment of anyone's imagination... So what we HAVE been told is actually quite clear, right?

Have you read the Scumm Bar's breakdown of the whole affair? Here it is, if you haven't:
    http://bit.ly/scummbar

@Dave Grossman said: Many theories have floated over the web about what really was going on in Monkey Island. Some say there are portals in the pirate world around the Caribbean; or that the secret is the location of Monkey Island itself; or, finally, because of MI2's ending, that Guybrush is just a young boy who is visiting a theme park.

On these suggestions Ron Gilbert once commented, "One is closer than the others -- but not much".

Thanks for replying,
    - Johnny

PS - Really looking forward to Tales!

• @Caribbean Queen said: I'm not sure about that. Isn't it strange that a team member has not posted anything yet? This whole "waiting til they are in the office thing" seems strange to me. A world-wide release date of the 7th has been officially blown. I'm jest sayin' Arrgh.

They're in their bed now. And even it's not the case, that mean they spend all the night to ensure everything is ok (or drinking some champaign...).

By the way, we're almost there. :D

• But by the 666 layers of the Abyss, where are you guy.brush?????

• now it's 16:45 in Norway, and still no monkey island ready for download. My poor browser is tired of refreshing the downloadpage.

• I want my Guybrush !
    Been looking forward to come home from work to download !

Hmpf.. Just have to wait some more then

• Got some database errors accessing the forum. It Starts.

• Heh i just decided to use my pre order coupon to buy an episode of Wallace and Gromit to pass the time.

The smell of adventure is filling the air!

• nearly 1 am on the 8th!! they lied to me!!!!!! have to go to bed now or I wont get up for work... the game must now wait for about 20 hours before I get my next window of opertunity! :( going to bed and dreaming about MI...

• ohhh yeah baby...i sure can smell it!

oh, wait, thats my socks...

• @MagooChris said: nearly 1 am on the 8th!! they lied to me!!!!!! have to go to bed now or I wont get up for work... the game must now wait for about 20 hours before I get my next window of opertunity! :( going to bed and dreaming about MI...

Well, dreaming about it isn't that bad? xP

BTW, let's hope all the recent crashes leads us to an realese in about 6 minutes= 17.00 in norway!

Add Comment