User Avatar Image

Completed the first part.. Now what?

posted by Valfader on - last edited - Viewed by 418 users

All right, so I pre-ordered the game with much anticipation. Did the same thing with the Curse of Monkey Island Special Edition as well.
It is now 05:30 AM (GMT+1), and I have played through the entire game. I was even stuck at a certain part in the jungle for about 25 minutes. So the total enjoyable gametime in this part came down to about 4 hours. And that includes listening to the dialogues as well as experimenting with different item merge combinations.

All in all I wasn't so much disappointed with the game itself, rather than the shortness of the episode. After all, there was a lot of fuzz in regards to the release.. And I now have to wait a full month to continue? What's the point of that?

It seems to me like the one episode-per-month release plan was something you did in order to buy time to continue coding the game. Which in my oppinion is a bad thing. I will now have to endure the frustration of waiting to see what happens next for nearly 6 months.. And for what?

I'm already coming up with a wall of text here, so I'll try to shorten it down. This is what you did good and bad in Tales of Monkey Island:

GOOD STUFF:
- Smooth running game engine
- Pleasant graphics
- Familiar voice acting
- Some challenging puzzles
- Some references to the previous games
- A new twist on the whole LeChuck-thing

BAD STUFF:
- No obvious way of skipping dialogue you've heard before
- The character controls are horrible
- You did not specify a release time, other than claiming the game to be available for downloading at the 7th of July. This kept me waiting for 19 hours.
- The integrated hint system in the game, even with non-frequent hints, becomes annoying really fast.
- Most dialogue was boring, even though the choises to choose from were not.
- This game did NOT make me laugh out loud like the other games did.
- The game was way too short to justify the long wait time for part 2.

So, as you can tell, I am pretty disappointed with the release and certain aspects of the game. Even though I have been a loyal fan for nearly 20 years. I'm hoping that the rest of you will share some input here as well when you complete the game, and hopefully give a better average experience than the one I had.

Sincerely,

-Valfader

41 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I loved it, I'm 100% satisfied.
    Can't wait for part 2

• I know what you mean. How am I suppose to live with myself for a whole month!?
    Oh, woe is me!

• @Valfader said:

Right Click? Lots of game use it so it kinda felt natural for me.

• You can skip dialog with a right click.

• @Valfader said:
    BAD STUFF:

Right click.

• [quote]- No obvious way of skipping dialogue you've heard before[/quote]
    Right click, it'll skip through each dialogue segment :)

• Responding to criticism

- Right click to skip dialog.

- The release wasn't clear, that irked me too. Still, they delivered.

- Hints were too frequent, next time I'll turn em off completely. Still, it's a good feature, removes the guilt of using a walkthrough.

- The dialog WAS funny! Seriously, it made me laugh out loud a few times. It's worth your time to talk through every option, some of em are pretty funny.

- The game was relatively long for an episodic game. Sure, it was over in 3 hours, but you did a lot of puzzles, and if you add it all up that's 15hours of MI. Which is great, even compared to full price games.

Even though it will be awhile until Episode 2, we got the game like 2 months after it was announced (or was it 1? felt like 2...). That's pretty freaking awesome, and I am looking forward to playing em one a month. If you don't like it, just wait until all 5 are out, though I doubt ANYONE* could pull that off.

*any monkey island fan that is

• You can skip dialog with a centre click

• Actually since someone said the length was roughly for hours then I would not see it as a negative point, that is the usual Telltale episode time. In the end if you sum it up you will get 20 hours of gameplay with five episodes which in fact is pretty good.
    The funny thing is first it annoyed me as well but now I really like it, in fact I never really was able to finish most games due to the lack of time I have to spend the time constantly on a game, the episode format is perfect for me :-)

• [quote]- No obvious way of skipping dialogue you've heard before[/quote]
    Right click, it'll skip through each dialogue segment :)

Add Comment