User Avatar Image

Completed the first part.. Now what?

posted by Valfader on - last edited - Viewed by 318 users

All right, so I pre-ordered the game with much anticipation. Did the same thing with the Curse of Monkey Island Special Edition as well.
It is now 05:30 AM (GMT+1), and I have played through the entire game. I was even stuck at a certain part in the jungle for about 25 minutes. So the total enjoyable gametime in this part came down to about 4 hours. And that includes listening to the dialogues as well as experimenting with different item merge combinations.

All in all I wasn't so much disappointed with the game itself, rather than the shortness of the episode. After all, there was a lot of fuzz in regards to the release.. And I now have to wait a full month to continue? What's the point of that?

It seems to me like the one episode-per-month release plan was something you did in order to buy time to continue coding the game. Which in my oppinion is a bad thing. I will now have to endure the frustration of waiting to see what happens next for nearly 6 months.. And for what?

I'm already coming up with a wall of text here, so I'll try to shorten it down. This is what you did good and bad in Tales of Monkey Island:

GOOD STUFF:
- Smooth running game engine
- Pleasant graphics
- Familiar voice acting
- Some challenging puzzles
- Some references to the previous games
- A new twist on the whole LeChuck-thing

BAD STUFF:
- No obvious way of skipping dialogue you've heard before
- The character controls are horrible
- You did not specify a release time, other than claiming the game to be available for downloading at the 7th of July. This kept me waiting for 19 hours.
- The integrated hint system in the game, even with non-frequent hints, becomes annoying really fast.
- Most dialogue was boring, even though the choises to choose from were not.
- This game did NOT make me laugh out loud like the other games did.
- The game was way too short to justify the long wait time for part 2.

So, as you can tell, I am pretty disappointed with the release and certain aspects of the game. Even though I have been a loyal fan for nearly 20 years. I'm hoping that the rest of you will share some input here as well when you complete the game, and hopefully give a better average experience than the one I had.

Sincerely,

-Valfader

41 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I see no problem with the length of the game! Many times I thought it was about to end and it kept going. I was actually pretty pleased.

• This was a great game. What escape should have been.

• I agree with you about the dialogue. It espeically irked me when there are three interesting choices and you end up hearing the same thing no matter which you clicked.

The puzzels, graphics, and story all did work for me though. I digged the gameplay a lot. The controls didn't seem bad at all, although I just slightly prefer pure point and click over moving with the arrow keys at all.

But as for it being released on a monthly schedule, well, that's telltale. It allows them to create the kind of content they do fairly quickly, allowing them to iterate on previous products while providing an efficent way to monetize their products. They are pretty routinely declared to be the sole people out there doing episodic gaming right, on a fairly tight schedule. You can wait five months, which frankly is less time than you would normally have to wait for a full title so soon after it's announcement, or you can enjoy 3-4 hours of quality pirating a month, likely followed a year later by another 5 months of Monkey Island adventures.

Hopefully the will fix the problems they had with the release this time around though, so it won't happen again next month.

• @Calbeb said: I agree with you about the dialogue. It espeically irked me when there are three interesting choices and you end up hearing the same thing no matter which you clicked.

Remember in Monkey Island 1-4 when it did exactly this? Yeah, that was funny, and it still is. Cut Telltale some slack.

• Everyone complaining sucks.

It's like you all had sex with Angelina Jolie and complain about the bedsheets.

The four hours I spent playing this was more fun, re-vistable and enjoyable than the entirety of Escape from Monkey Island.

.. and the whole 'omg, Guybrush will say something different if I don't choose one of the HILARIOUS non-serious statements that I have just read and enjoyed and imagined Dominic voicing' isn't new. It isn't bad either, it's great. Fucking... aah.

• its episodic content (dont know if i spelled that right) you paid for 5 episodes! if one last 4 hours, multuply that by five and you got twenty hours of gameplay stop bitchin?!

• [quote]The click-and-drag to move thing did not work at all. I hated it. However, WASD worked fine for me. Similar to the controls for EMI and Grim Fandango, but actually better since you can use the mouse too.[/quote]
    I disagree. I got used to them in minutes, I think they work well. I didn't touch the keyboard other than for running.

• I really loved the game. I'll happily wait another month to get my Monkey Island fix.

• If you don't like the wait between episodes then simply wait till the whole season is finished and then play them straight (btw 4 hours per episode with 5 episodes is 20 hours which is a pretty good length for any game this day and age).

Right Click or Space Bar to skip dialogue.

Turn the hint system off.

There solved your major complaints.

Add Comment