User Avatar Image

[Spoilers ahoy] Favourite & Least favourite puzzle in "Narwhal"

posted by jp-30 on - last edited - Viewed by 960 users

Almost without exception I thought the puzzles were absolutely top notch. The satisfaction on knocking the captain off the Narwhal, as well as finding the axle for the last spin-wheel thing were excellent!

My favourite puzzle though, possibly of all adventure games EVER, was the one in the lab when you are restrained. It wasn't particularly hard, probably took me 25 mins all up, it was just a great learning curve, and such satisfaction when you pull off what you realise needs to be done. The masochistic monkey just added to the delight!

My least favourite... starting the fight in Club 41. When I was turfed out I thought I had to do something else. Was quite surprised when I realised just getting in the door was the whole task. Just involved finding the (pretty obvious) pass and absolutely nothing more.

There was that great 'out of sight puzzle' in MI1 (or was it 2, it's been a while?) in a mansion which was a huge joke when the unbelievable options you would have picked appeared on screen, while you saw nothing of it. If this was trying to replicate that joke, it pretty much failed.

But generally the puzzles were pitched (to me) absolutely perfectly.

How far off is one month away, again? Aaaargh!

59 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Loved both the Captain and Lab puzzles. Getting the Ninja was another of my favourites.

Getting the glassbreaker would be my least favourite seeing as that was purely coincidental for me. I ran into a snag with the idols too, I didn't know how to see all the gods on the windvane. Kept clicking it and clicking it and it wasn't until I saw a hint on the forum that I realised what I should be doing... My own silly fault, never moused over the socket thing you see. :p

Overall I thought the puzzles were really good. :)

• Yeah the Club 41 bit was a little cheap, combined with the fact that you can't enter any of the cool looking buildings at the start of the game you feel a bit disconnected.

The lab scene makes up for it though, the puzzle and graphic quality was pure old school.

• My least favourite thing about the puzzles was the "hint system" which ruined the first couple of puzzles for me before I found out I could turn it off. I didn't find it very hinty more HERE IS THE ANSWER.

Favourite puzzle: Ninja Dave, because it was funny and cruel, I especially liked the olive on the sword, i mean katana.

Least Favourite: Club 41. Too easy, pick up a card and you have completed a 1/3 of the initial quest.

• My faves were the cheese wheel and the lab, because they let you figure them out and they're intuitive.

Both map puzzles were a big disappointment to me, because Guybrush spells the first one out for you ("Oh hey I'm gonna comment on how noisy the jungle is whenever looking at the map for no reason, I sure hope you didn't plan on figuring it out yourself even though you turned off all the hints") and there's also a lot of handholding for getting to read the second map (one guy shows you the exact tool to break the glass, the other gives you the exact tool to read the map), not to mention the little jingle for each screen you got "right". Is there no room left for the lateral thinking that went into the previous games' maps? There must be, since the cheese wheel's still got the flavor of the old puzzles.

• @Sammichy said: Getting the glassbreaker would be my least favourite seeing as that was purely coincidental for me.

When I first (randomly) shot the cannon, I thought it had hit the just-wounded Narwhal captain, and that was the joke. Thouht it was bloody funny too. But alas...

Took me a long time... LONG TIME (after putting the unbreakable bottle in the cannon and finding it not on the ship, but outside the glassblower's shop), ... to try it again and realise it was the unicorns I had smashed in the first place.

• @Chevluh said: My faves were the cheese wheel and the lab, because they let you figure them out and they're intuitive.

I spent quite some time trying to prise those carvings off the jail wall... :confused:

• @jp-30 said: I spent quite some time trying to prise those carvings off the jail wall... :confused:

Me too, I was just a few minutes away from a visit to the hints forum. Very glad I resisted though, so much more satisfying. :)

• Both map puzzles were a big disappointment to me, because Guybrush spells the first one out for you ("Oh hey I'm gonna comment on how noisy the jungle is whenever looking at the map for no reason, I sure hope you didn't plan on figuring it out yourself even though you turned off all the hints")

I agree, but on the other hand, i think it was cool to somehow point out that you have to listen... Probably not in that way, tho, but i dunno, it seems pretty easy to ignore those screams because you think they're just ambiance sounds.

• I liked the puzzle with the bombs, only because I loved the really girly pose Guybrush did when he threw it.

I didn't like the first map puzzle, I don't know if I was doing it wrong, but I assume you were supposed to follow the animal noises, but that didn't seem to go right for me. I just used guess work in the end, and memorised what way to go.

• @Lucien21 said: I quite liked the "get the captain off the boat" puzzle.

My least favourite was the fact you had to do jungle maze puzzle at least twice and then run round the jungle again for the idols.

You don't have to run around the jungle for the idols - they all appear on the island map screen.

Anyway, my favourite was lab puzzle, which was just brilliant, for all of the above reasons.
    My least favourite was probably the hand puzzle at the end - if only because it had to click every item on the boat a second time just to work out which caused me to fall on the tar...but even that was pretty fun.

Add Comment