User Avatar Image

TMI - Nothing happening

posted by MurrayTheSkull on - last edited - Viewed by 2.6K users

Launching the shortcut ends up creating a MonkeyIsland101.exe process.... which lives for about 10 seconds then vanishes. Nothing comes up on the screen at all. No errors, no page to register the game, no game, no black screen, nothing.

Im using a 4870 1GB with the latest drivers (Which I have reinstalled) and I have also tried re-installing the game twice (On different drives no less) to no avail.

So I tried downloading and running a random Strongbad demo and that seems to have issues as well. This time at least you get the register/demo page... but when clicking to go to the demo that vanishes and nothing happens.

Im using windows vista 32-bit.

Ill prat around so more when I get home, but any ideas would be useful.

Thanks.

187 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Hi, I`m sad that my first post here is about not getting the game to start.

I downloaded the first episode and started the Launch setup. That part worked fine. In the last window I choose the start game button, but nothing happened. Also I choose to get a button at my desktop, nothing could be seen. I didn`t worry and tried to start the game right from the installed file, but it didn`t work. Therefore I uninstalled the game, but the folder is still there and so is the content.

Second try to install the game at a different place, this time I got the link at the desktop, however the game isn`t starting.

Tried changing the resolution, nothing happenend, and the setting is at 32 Bit.

I am using a Notebook 2,2 GHz AMD Turion, with 1280 x 800, Windows Vista, a NVIDIA Geforce 8600 GS, 2 GB Memory.

Any Suggestion?

• Same here!
    Sam and Max doesn't work either.

System: Windows 7 RC1, Geforce 7800 GTX

• Same here on a laptop with Vista Home Premium, 32Bit :(

• I have the same problem as Moonlight, the program appears in task manager but nothing happens... the reason the game files remained after the uninstall was that the program file was still running and therefore using the files but you just can't see it on the desktop!

Running vista 32 Home Premium, resolution 1280x800x32 using GeForce 8400M G (laptop)

• I`m glad someone is expiriencing the same problems than I, though I`m kind of relieved, that the problem isn`t sitting in front of the computer.

But I`m sad for you because you can`t play.

• Same problem.. fully up to date with DirectX, nVidea drivers, even Java in case the launcher was using it. Process hangs around for about 10 seconds. Frustration!

Windows XP Pro 32-Bit, E6550 2.33ghz, 2gb RAM, Geforce 8500 x2.

• Having the same problem. I just emailed their support regarding the problem. Awaiting for their reply.

Intel(R) Core 2 Duo
    E6750 @ 2.66GHZ, 2.67 GHZ

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
    Driver Version -> 6.14.11.8618

DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

• Ok guys, couple things we can try:
    Update video card drivers and directx.

After that, let's try a clean boot. You know, just in case:

To Boot Clean in Windows Vista

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

• Ok guys, couple things we can try (and I know some of you have already tried some of these things):
    Update video card drivers and directx.

After that, let's try a clean boot. You know, just in case:

To Boot Clean in Windows Vista

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

• Oh, also try replacing your prefs.prop with this one. Drop it in \My Documents\Telltale Games\Launch of the Screaming Narwhal

Add Comment