User Avatar Image

TMI - Nothing happening

posted by MurrayTheSkull on - last edited - Viewed by 2.9K users

Launching the shortcut ends up creating a MonkeyIsland101.exe process.... which lives for about 10 seconds then vanishes. Nothing comes up on the screen at all. No errors, no page to register the game, no game, no black screen, nothing.

Im using a 4870 1GB with the latest drivers (Which I have reinstalled) and I have also tried re-installing the game twice (On different drives no less) to no avail.

So I tried downloading and running a random Strongbad demo and that seems to have issues as well. This time at least you get the register/demo page... but when clicking to go to the demo that vanishes and nothing happens.

Im using windows vista 32-bit.

Ill prat around so more when I get home, but any ideas would be useful.

Thanks.

187 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Thanks a lot Will for your suggestions!

At the moment, I`m downloading new video card drivers. About DirectX I`m a bit confused. Shouldn`t ToMI bring the needed DirectX update?

Only to make sure, because I`m not a tech-guru: booting clean Vista is to exclude problems with the generall settings of my system?

• Ive tried all of those things along with anything else I can possibly think of that might even have a small chance of getting in the way (Getting rid of ATIs CCC, closing windows processes that arent relevant, trying with user account control on and off, using compatability modes, trying lower resolutions, turning off windows firewall, redownloading the installer. Ive even taken the time to uninstall a bunch of stuff I no longer use).

And none of that worked.

• It should (and does) but a lot of people choose not to update it. Also, I'm not sure I've ever seen a program that gets corrupted as easily as DirectX. It's never really a bad idea to try updating it.

As for the clean boot, this is just to get rid of any weird background programs that might be affecting your system. One other thing I suggested in another thread is to try unzipping the attached file into your \My Documents\Telltale Games\Launch of the Screaming Narwhal.

• Updated video card driver, DirectX and inserted prefs file. Still isn`t working for me.

Now I try clean boot. I appreciate your effort!

• Same error

W7 RC (7100)
    E8400 @ 3GHz
    Nvidia 8800 GTS 512
    DX 11

• I did all of that last night (except a clean boot) and so I will try that one when I get home from work tonight. Thanks' for the help Will...

Oh and just to test that it wasn't something wrong with my download I installed it on the work computer and could get into the demo (not allowed to play at work so no point signing into the full game)

--Edit, Ok I've tried the clean boot, and even thought to try runing as the admin... and nothing... I can't explain it

• I have the same error; with TMI and Sam & Max (steam version of Sam & Max 104 also fails to load now (not sure -- it worked in September last year?)).

DXDIAG information below.
    ------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    Memory: 8190MB RAM
    Page File: 2447MB used, 13982MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    Display Memory: 494 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 1008 MB
    Shared Memory: 3582 MB
    Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: SyncMaster 225MD/225MS/2280HD(Digital)
    Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
    Driver Version: 8.15.0011.8618 (English)

-------------
    Sound Devices
    -------------
    Description: Speakers (ASUS Xonar D2X Audio Device)
    Default Sound Playback: Yes
    Default Voice Playback: Yes
    Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_8788&SUBSYS_82B71043&REV_00
    Manufacturer ID: 1
    Product ID: 100
    Type: WDM
    Driver Name: cmudaxp.sys
    Driver Version: 5.12.0001.0008 (English)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    Date and Size: 8/22/2008 15:00:05, 1363968 bytes
    Other Files:
    Driver Provider: ASUSTeK
    HW Accel Level: Basic
    Cap Flags: 0x0
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
    Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
    Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
    HW Memory: 0
    Voice Management: Yes
    EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
    I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
    Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

Description: Speakers (ASUS Xonar D2X Converter)
    Default Sound Playback: No
    Default Voice Playback: No
    Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_8788&SUBSYS_82B71043&REV_00
    Manufacturer ID: 1
    Product ID: 100
    Type: WDM
    Driver Name: cmudaxp.sys
    Driver Version: 5.12.0001.0008 (English)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    Date and Size: 8/22/2008 15:00:05, 1363968 bytes
    Other Files:
    Driver Provider: ASUSTeK
    HW Accel Level: Basic
    Cap Flags: 0x0
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
    Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
    Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
    HW Memory: 0
    Voice Management: No
    EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
    I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
    Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

Display Device: NVidia GTX280.
    Sound Device: Xonar D2X.

EDIT:
    Have tried clean booting, replacing prefs (not that that should make a difference as the launcher doesn't open for TMI).

S&M opens the launcher in all instances, but the game flashes a white box on the screen then disappears with a maximum runtime of 2 seconds.

TMI appears for ~5-10 seconds in Task Manager and disappears, never displaying a launcher.

EDIT #2: To add to my frustration, my laptop (Vista x64 C2D 2.16GHz, 4GB RAM, 7400 Go!) can open Sam & Max _AND_ TMI, but doesn't have the grunt required to play them, whereas my desktop cannot.

I'm starting to wonder if the problem is actually the soundcard or something equally weird.

EDIT #3: Okay, turning on GX mode lets Sam & Max "Launch" to two splash screens (Gametap and TTG, iirc -- rebooting atm!), before crashing. TMI still won't even show the launcher. Updating the drivers with another patch (aimed to fix WC3/WOW (I don't play either so I hadn't even thought of patching it)).

My issue may be a separate one from the others; looking at the fact that my ability to launch is hinged upon sound cards, I might try disabling all audio devices and shall update this post once I've tried it.

EDIT #4: No, it requires a soundcard to play. :)

• Greetings.

I just downloaded the episode, installed it, tried to play, but the game won't start up. Not that there was an error code or something, the process "moneyisland101.exe" does start, but there is no window, no game, no launcher, simply nothing.

What I tried without fixing my problem:
    - game reinstalled
    - directx reinstalled
    - upgrade to latest graphics driver
    - changing my screen resolution
    - (right now) installing all the newest windows updates (including ie8)

my system config looks as follows:
    - Intel Core2Duo 2x 3,00 Ghz
    - 2 gig Corsair DDR2 RAM
    - GeForce 8800 GT @ 1680x1050
    - Windows XP SP3
    - dxdiag: "nothing unusual"

long story short: "can anyone help me?" :(

regards
    aSak

• I'm currently having exactly the same problem. Anyone have any luck?

• Ok, I finished updating Windows and .NET and IE8 but still - nothing. To be honest, I don't know anything more i can do to fix this problem. Additionally: Sam'n'Max S1 runs fine.

Add Comment