Menu
User Avatar Image

My game isn't working, any ideas?

posted by Tessia on - last edited - Viewed by 281 users

My laptop meets all the requirements needed to run the game, but whenever I go to launch it, the launcher 'stops working', and windows closes the game. Has anyone else had this problem?

18 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Even taken the resolution all the way down to 800 now, though it's the same as 1024 - I can get as far as the start game menu now with the Tales of Monkey Island board on the right with candles on top and quite slow flames. There's what appears to be writing but it's in very odd blocks, which is strange as the rest of the picture looks great - as clear as Monkey 3 did. I can move the mouse and an invisible cursor seems to be moving in responce but very slowly, as occassionally the chequred blocks highlight. It's really frustrating.

• I'd just like to say thanks to whoever suggested changing the screen resolution. Mine was giving me the old 'Telltale Games has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.' but changing the resolution down to 1024x768 has got it running. My laptop's not exactly great so I'm running the game on 640x480 but at least it's working!

Fingers crossed it stays that way.

• It keeps getting to the end of the opening credits then crashing for me.
    Rather frustrating, as I cannot progress.

• serweet, have you tried lowering the game graphics from the default of 6 to 1? that got me past the opening credits, but it's still very laggy.

• To no avail, it still crashes after Ron Gilberts name fades away.

• @Haamus83 said: Well, I launched the game from installation directory (MonkeyIsland101.exe) so it seems there is a problem with the link on my start menu. Might be a Win 7 related issue as I'm running the RC.

I experienced the exact same problem and I'm also running Windows 7. Seems like it's not a classic shortcut as you can't see its properties by right-clicking it.
    Anyway, the game worked fine for me once launched from the .exe.

• @Pete-Alex said: Even taken the resolution all the way down to 800 now, though it's the same as 1024 - I can get as far as the start game menu now with the Tales of Monkey Island board on the right with candles on top and quite slow flames. There's what appears to be writing but it's in very odd blocks, which is strange as the rest of the picture looks great - as clear as Monkey 3 did. I can move the mouse and an invisible cursor seems to be moving in responce but very slowly, as occassionally the chequred blocks highlight. It's really frustrating.

I'm having exactly the same problem :(

• When you install the game.. its best to choose the DirectX option as yes or whatever it is as in allow them to check it even if you know youre up to date

trust me

• Have installed latest Direct X but still can't get past the menu page - looking at it there's probably not a huge frame rate delay as the flames on the candles seem to be fine, just those darn odd colour blocks.

• @GdogWSM said: I'm having exactly the same problem :(

Same here: the candles, the colorblocks. Changing the screen size didn't change anything. :(

I'm using Vista, and I have the admin access on full-blast. I don't know enough about computers to figure this out myself beyond that.

This is a screenshot. It doesn't go beyond this.

narwhalbreak.jpg

Add Comment