User Avatar Image

DIE LUF DER FLOTSAM SAUGEN - you gotta be kidding

posted by TashSunrider on - last edited - Viewed by 535 users

(concerning the flag of Flotsam island)

That must be the most sorry attempt to translate an english sentence into german i have ever seen.

It's so bad that it's not even funny bad anymore. Any free online sentence translator could do it better than this word by word translation.

Not only the total disregard of all grammar, or the miss-spelling of one out of four german 3-4 letter words but also the fact that the saying even translated correctly doesn't make any sense to start with.

Just out of curiosity, why did you have to go for "German" on that flag if you don't even have the resources to type the sentence into babelfish.

68 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • If it's that bad I'm willing to be it was deliberate.

• are you german ?
    Sometimes badly translated can turn out to be pretty fun... But it often depends on whether the reader/listener is really fluent in the language or not. So maybe this is pretty funny to some english speaking guy who know a few german words but not to anyone who really know the language. I wouldn't know, "kartoffel and "arsch" are the only german words i know. But i bet an english guy would have a hard time understanding why french kids think the verb "to bite" is so funny.

• That's what i meant with "it's so bad it's not even funny bad"

There is nothing funny about it that i could possibly conceive.

I'm fluent in English and German and I have seen a lot of decent making fun of the german language with knowingly bad translations or made-up german sounding words.
    I thought the Sam & MAx episode with the German Vampire was pretty funny.

This flag however is not meant to be a joke. It's just blatantly ignorant lack of knowledge and a half-assed attempt to translate.

Any English speakers out there who can say they thought it's funny?
    I will be gladly proven wrong if it really is ammusing to some people.

• @TashSunrider said: (concerning the flag of Flotsam island)

That must be the most sorry attempt to translate an english sentence into german i have ever seen.

It's so bad that it's not even funny bad anymore. Any free online sentence translator could do it better than this word by word translation.

Not only the total disregard of all grammar, or the miss-spelling of one out of four german 3-4 letter words but also the fact that the saying even translated correctly doesn't make any sense to start with.

Just out of curiosity, why did you have to go for "German" on that flag if you don't even have the resources to type the sentence into babelfish.

remember my thread about the "german whiners"?

See...this guy just registered just for this posting. Awesome. This...Sir...is by far...the pinnacle of whining!

EDIT: Sorry, my bad. Was no whining, after your 2nd posting, i can understand your point.

• Well, it's nice to see a reference to German in a Monkey Island game anyway. Still waiting for a character featuring a German accent though. ;)

As for the translation on the flag, the missing "t" in "Luft" made me also look twice to actually figure it out, and of course "saugen" can't be used in the same double meaning as in English, but that's another story. Maybe I'm missing the point here, but I'm not sure if this is funny to someone who only knows a few words of German, if they even identify it as such. Reminds me of that early Simpsons episode "Burns verkaufen der Kraftwerk" (Which is also translated incorrectly, but intentional... and funny. Maybe it was an homage to this?)

Anyway, I really loved the game, can't wait for the next one and as for future German references I'd be more than happy to assist. :D

• I'm not a German speaker (well, I do understand a good bit but my grammar is almost nonexistant) OR a native English speaker, so I totally see your point, TashSunrider. It seems like if they're going to include German, they should take their time and make sure it's correct, assuming that they weren't going for a joke that we're not seeing.
    Hey, maybe it'll even get explained in a later chapter, I'm kinda guessing there's going to be more to the Courthouse, and they strongly hinted at us seeing more of the Voodoo Lady's chest of unmentionables, or whatever, so maybe Guybrush will be back to Flotsam Island.
    I'm kinda hoping that there's something behind their poor use of German, just so I won't be disappointed in them ;)

• They're pirates. They're not literate in ANY language!

• @LordKinbote said: They're pirates. They're not literate in ANY language!

Well, I dunno. Their English is pretty good;)

• whetavar. they just say "ARRRR" !

• It didn't bother me the first time I played the game, but since we're talking about it anyway: Could somebody who understood the joke explain it to me?

There's a recycling symbol, then there's
    DIE = THE
    LUF(T) = AIR
    FLOTSAM ( Treibgut or Plunder in German)
    SAUGEN = SUCK

=> THE AIR FLOTSAM SUCK

Maybe "Keep Flotsam (Island)'s Air Clean"?

Add Comment