User Avatar Image

DIE LUF DER FLOTSAM SAUGEN - you gotta be kidding

posted by TashSunrider on - last edited - Viewed by 651 users

(concerning the flag of Flotsam island)

That must be the most sorry attempt to translate an english sentence into german i have ever seen.

It's so bad that it's not even funny bad anymore. Any free online sentence translator could do it better than this word by word translation.

Not only the total disregard of all grammar, or the miss-spelling of one out of four german 3-4 letter words but also the fact that the saying even translated correctly doesn't make any sense to start with.

Just out of curiosity, why did you have to go for "German" on that flag if you don't even have the resources to type the sentence into babelfish.

68 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • couldn't luf(t) mean wind ?

Flotsam's winds suck ?

• @TashSunrider said: (concerning the flag of Flotsam island)

BAWWWWW!

Fixed.

• User Avatar Image
    Ara

@Astro Gnocci said: couldn't luf(t) mean wind ?

Flotsam's winds suck ?

Luft means wind... but the sentence makes no sense in German

"saugen" isn't a swearword in German and it hasn't a "double entendre"

• @hansschmucker said: It didn't bother me the first time I played the game, but since we're talking about it anyway: Could somebody who understood the joke explain it to me?

There's a recycling symbol, then there's
    DIE = THE
    LUF(T) = AIR
    FLOTSAM ( Treibgut or Plunder in German)
    SAUGEN = SUCK

=> THE AIR FLOTSAM SUCK

Maybe "Keep Flotsam (Island)'s Air Clean"?

maybe more like the air in flotsam sucks, as in its bad because nobody can escape because of the wind

• @Astro Gnocci said: couldn't luf(t) mean wind ?

Flotsam's winds suck ?

That makes sense to me AND it's a little funny, assuming that maybe German doesn't use the verb that way? lol

• Nope, we don't... But if it means that, what's the recycling symbol doing there?

• @hansschmucker said: Nope, we don't... But if it means that, what's the recycling symbol doing there?

Hmmmmm, I've heard several people from other countries commenting how annoying it is that you must separate your trash into different bins for recycling in Germany and how typical it is of this country. Any possible connection here? :)

Edit: Just noticed it's on the upper right of the "Keelhauler Gazette" newsletter as well which I've just received by e-mail. :)

• User Avatar Image
    Tea

@hansschmucker said: It didn't bother me the first time I played the game, but since we're talking about it anyway: Could somebody who understood the joke explain it to me?

There's a recycling symbol, then there's
    DIE = THE
    LUF(T) = AIR
    FLOTSAM ( Treibgut or Plunder in German)
    SAUGEN = SUCK

=> THE AIR FLOTSAM SUCK

Maybe "Keep Flotsam (Island)'s Air Clean"?

The wind on Flotsam sucks.

• I didn't get the point of the german flag either. (yes I'm german)
    didn't even figure out what it should mean, but I haven't given it much thought.
    It's just obvios to you, that "suck" has got those two meanings, when you speak english (even if you're a non native english speaking person), but as soon as you change to german, this thought doesn't apear.
    I don't care about this too much tho. It's been a really great season start. Loved it!

• The winds on Flotsam do, literally, suck though.

It's only as modern English speakers that we apply the slang meaning to it.

I guess that's the joke, that Flotsam's winds both suck (as in suck people towards the island, then keep them there) and suck (as in something bad).

Obviously it's a play on words that won't work as well for a non-native English speaker. Not every joke needs to work for everyone though. That's why the game has more than one!

Add Comment