User Avatar Image

DIE LUF DER FLOTSAM SAUGEN - you gotta be kidding

posted by TashSunrider on - last edited - Viewed by 872 users

(concerning the flag of Flotsam island)

That must be the most sorry attempt to translate an english sentence into german i have ever seen.

It's so bad that it's not even funny bad anymore. Any free online sentence translator could do it better than this word by word translation.

Not only the total disregard of all grammar, or the miss-spelling of one out of four german 3-4 letter words but also the fact that the saying even translated correctly doesn't make any sense to start with.

Just out of curiosity, why did you have to go for "German" on that flag if you don't even have the resources to type the sentence into babelfish.

68 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think most German people who play this game know both these meanings... but would a typical English-native player make enough sense of the German bits to actually get to this joke? That's what I'm wondering about.

• It's not like I'm not getting the double meaning of suck.

If the flag was in english the double meaning actually might be funny. By translating it wrong that joke is pretty much lost though to anyone but people that are good enough in german to decipher the translation attempt.

The recycling symbol might be an attempted pun on the fact that the winds bring everything back to flotsam basically making you go in circles if you try to leave.
    Also could be pun on the people there recycling everything they find... which pretty much is trash (flotsam)

And just for the files: I didnt just register to whine about this flag. As you can see i registered in June already, just didn't have anything I wanted to talk about before.

• @Ara said: Luft means wind... but the sentence makes no sense in German

"saugen" isn't a swearword in German and it hasn't a "double entendre"

Also diese Aussage saugt ja wohl gewaltig...

(Lately, "saugen" is used a lot in the "this sucks" sense in German...)

np: Tim Exile - Fortress (Listening Tree)

• My guess is someone on the staff is a Stanford alum... its motto is:

Die Luft der Freiheit weht

• @Qgar said: My guess is someone on the staff is a Stanford alum... its motto is:

I think we have a winner... :D

np: Tim Exile - Bad Dust (Listening Tree)

• @Leak said: Also diese Aussage saugt ja wohl gewaltig...

(Lately, "saugen" is used a lot in the "this sucks" sense in German...)

Ich glaub da haben die Österreicher ihre eigene Interpretation. Bei uns heist saugen, naja... saugen eben. Sonst nichts.

(Talking about people in Austria using the word differently from people in Germany)

• @Qgar said: My guess is someone on the staff is a Stanford alum... its motto is:

Seeing how this is a motto on both the flag and the Keelhauler Gazette, this must be it. :D Thanks!

• @Leak said: I think we have a winner... :D

np: Tim Exile - Bad Dust (Listening Tree)

@Leak said: My guess is someone on the staff is a Stanford alum... its motto is:

And, I bet that someone is Mike Stemmle. Used to write shows for the Band.

• Hehe, now it makes sense and is actually a pretty good joke... but they could have made it a little easier... the spelling mistake was too much.

• Haha, I had never, ever got that joke if it weren't for these forums. Thanks!

Add Comment