User Avatar Image

DIE LUF DER FLOTSAM SAUGEN - you gotta be kidding

posted by TashSunrider on - last edited - Viewed by 534 users

(concerning the flag of Flotsam island)

That must be the most sorry attempt to translate an english sentence into german i have ever seen.

It's so bad that it's not even funny bad anymore. Any free online sentence translator could do it better than this word by word translation.

Not only the total disregard of all grammar, or the miss-spelling of one out of four german 3-4 letter words but also the fact that the saying even translated correctly doesn't make any sense to start with.

Just out of curiosity, why did you have to go for "German" on that flag if you don't even have the resources to type the sentence into babelfish.

68 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Can anyone spare any conditioner? Because there's a lot of split hairs in this thread.

• Not really. Just a lot of people who couldn't understand what that sign was trying to say and who were very happy when they finally found out.

• @hansschmucker said: Ich glaub da haben die Österreicher ihre eigene Interpretation. Bei uns heist saugen, naja... saugen eben. Sonst nichts.

(Talking about people in Austria using the word differently from people in Germany)

I am from Austria (west - Tirol) and by no mans does "saugen" mean anything but "saugen".

Maybe in eastern Austria it's different, who knows.

But I think they tried to translate "The flotam wind sucks". Unfortunatley in a very very bad way.

• @Corv said: I am from Austria (west - Tirol) and by no mans does "saugen" mean anything but "saugen".

Maybe in eastern Austria it's different, who knows.

But I think they tried to translate "The flotam wind sucks". Unfortunatley in a very very bad way.

Also West-Tirol here, so...
    +1 :D

I can't think of a reason why they left the "t" from "Luft" out. Are they that careless, or is that part of that "joke"?

• i wondered about this, too. and i didn't realize that it means "The winds of Flotsam suck!" until i read it in this thread, lol.

Why is it translated into (very bad) german at all?

• @Astro Gnocci said: I wouldn't know, "kartoffel and "arsch" are the only german words i know.

ROLF!!! omg, that was great, i nearly laughed myself to tears.

you're hilarious :D

• @[Hunter.Wolf said: ;155780']Also West-Tirol here, so...
    +1 :D

Hehe, wie cool, die Welt ist wirklich klein, vor allem im Internet ;)

@[Hunter.Wolf said: ;155780']
    I can't think of a reason why they left the "t" from "Luft" out. Are they that careless, or is that part of that "joke"?

I think they put each word into some online translation page and then accidently left the "t" out... lazy ;)

Add Comment