User Avatar Image

Bone Director's Cut discussion

posted by Udvarnoky on - last edited - Viewed by 573 users

Ha, wow, that new introductory scene will cut out some of the exposition from the later books. So what do you guys think of the updated Bone games? I'd love to hear how fellow Bone fans think it improves/ruins everything! :)

29 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @geoffreycook said: I experienced this problem as well. It was during the dialogue with the big bee when you are trying to retrieve the cart after the race. When I selected the option about my cousin being in big trouble, the bee gave his response and it stayed on the screen even after going back to my options. It wouldn't let me pick anything. All I could do was quit and reload. Once I replayed back to that point, I saved right before and tried it several times and always got the same result. It seemed to be limited to that one option, so as long as I didn't pick it, I was fine.

I have attached a screenshot so you can see exactly what it did.

I was going to post about it right now, before reading your post I thought I couldn't get past this point, but yes, you can choose another option to continue. Thank you :)

• There's some problems with the new "Director's Cut" of 'Out from Boneville'. It seems to me to be suffering from "over thinking" for starters. A prime example is after the new intro (which is taken from 'Rose', incidentally, not the original Bone series): We briefly hear Smiley Bone playing his banjo and annoying Phoney Bone, followed (very quickly) by Smiley Bone saying "The coast is clear!".

This scene has always implied that the Bone brothers have only just decided they've escaped from their tormentors from Boneville (in the original comic, too), but before this, Smiley Bone stops, picks up his banjo, and starts playing a song. It doesn't make sense, it doesn't flow (it actually jars a bit) and the only reason it has been added is to make an already logical and easy to follow puzzle, even more logical and easy to follow (ie. it's unnecessary).

The new Thorn actress can't act and sounds too young. I don't care if it was Jeff Smith's request that she be made to sound younger, sometimes the artist doesn't know what's best for his art (Greedo shoots first, anyone?), but even if she had to be made younger, you could have gotten someone who actually knows which words to stress.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I found the original direction of the Bone games to be spot on, and I'm obviously in a minority who think it's gotten worse. I can't even play through the Great Cowrace demo, because Thorn's voice acting is that bad and, to my mind, doesn't suit the character either.

I guess the new Bone just isn't for me :(

At least I can still enjoy Sam & Max!

• @geoffreycook said: I experienced this problem as well. It was during the dialogue with the big bee when you are trying to retrieve the cart after the race. When I selected the option about my cousin being in big trouble, the bee gave his response and it stayed on the screen even after going back to my options. It wouldn't let me pick anything. All I could do was quit and reload. Once I replayed back to that point, I saved right before and tried it several times and always got the same result. It seemed to be limited to that one option, so as long as I didn't pick it, I was fine.

I have attached a screenshot so you can see exactly what it did.

I ran into the same problem, I figured a workaround--go into options and turn the subtitles off. It worked "okay" from there, but the bee was halfway into the floor for the rest of the scene.

• @Johnny Walker said: sometimes the artist doesn't know what's best for his art

This is news to me. Who should be the one to judge what is best for a person's art?

• @Squinky said: This is news to me. Who should be the one to judge what is best for a person's art?

For some reason, your comment reminds me of Wacky Delly.

• @Squinky said: This is news to me. Who should be the one to judge what is best for a person's art?

Johnny Walker is! Huzzah! :D

• User Avatar Image
    Mel

I remember when I first heard Thorn, her voice didn't work for me either. I asked about it at the Telltale developer chat in April of this year:

http://forums.adventuregamers.com/showthread.php?t=14370

I've since played both games and it'll be interesting to replay the director's cut of Out From Boneville to see how Bridget Mendler sounds (before I make any judgements :)). Her voice didn't bother me when I played all of The Great Cow Race.

• @numble said: For some reason, your comment reminds me of Wacky Delly.

I love that episode. :)

Gee, I dunno, the audience? Who else judges art? Are you seriously telling me that all artists always do the best thing for their art? (Note that I said sometimes an artist doesn't always know what's best for their art.) Are you saying that all art, being created by an artist, is therefore always great? I think not!

If Dave Grossman decided to do another "director's cut" of the first two Bone games, but this time voice all the characters himself, would that be good, just because he's "the artist"?

The example I cited (George Lucas going back to the original Star Wars and digitally manipulating the image so that Greedo shoots and misses Han Solo from two feet away) is probably the most popular example of an artist doing something which has been considered detrimental to their work, but there's lots of other examples to chose from.

The artist might be the god of their creation, but that doesn't mean they're always right! :)

Add Comment