User Avatar Image

ToMI Technical Issues?

posted by NannerSplit on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

Anyone else having various issues with the game? It seems like the "errorundefined" thing is rather prevalent.

Personally, mine always crashes at the very end of the opening credits. The last shot I see is the sun with "Based on Characters created by Ron Gilbert", and then it closes. Anyone else have this problem?

75 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @DKreinest11 said: Download and install this if you have Intel(R) 965 express chipset family:
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=2800&DwnldID=17407&strOSs=All&OSFullName=All%20Operating%20Systems〈=eng

I did so, and it seems to work!!!:) All text appears and it goes faster than before!:D

• @Nacholabs said: I was going to create a new topic but I'll just post it here:

The main menu is shown like this:
    mainmenur.jpg

Plus, ingame is REALLY slow.

My specs:
    Windows XP Professional
    CPU: AMD Sempron, 1833 MHz (11 x 167) 2600+
    RAM: 1280 MB (DDR SDRAM)
    Video: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000 (128 MB)

I tried everything: reinstalling the game, installing the latest video drivers, using older ones.

DirectX was already updated to the latest version. Color depth is set to 32 bit.

I'm gonna rollback directx to an earlier version whenever I can but I doubt that would make a difference.

Any ideas?

Answer is very simple. If you look at the game's minimum requirements you'll see:
    Graphics: 64MB DirectX 8.1 compliant video card (128MB rec.)

Your video card isn't DirectX 8.1 compliant but only DirectX 7.0 compliant as you can see from here.

Though as it seems even DirectX 8.1 compliant cards like GeForce4 Ti 4200/4400/4600 have this issue...

• @jakefreemon said: Looks like most if not all of the Intel 9xx chipset family exhibits issue (e.g. most laptops).

I to do not understand why TOMI is so intensive than other games like CSI, COD, WOW, etc...

All these games you listed have had the same problems and complaints. Try playing COD World at War on a laptop and see what happens. I'm sure all the game developers out there don't have every single type of computer setup to test the game on. There are going to be bugs. They set a standard specification for their game and if you don't meet it it's hit or miss...

It sounds like most of the problems are because people don't have a DirectX 8.1-compliant video card

If you want to play newer games you need to get better equipment. Sorry It's just a fact.

I had problems too but they cleared up after a restart of the game.

ahab

• @XuGator said: HouseFantastic

Since you have a Sony

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/select-system.pl?DIRECTOR=DRIVER&PRODTYPE=1,24,26,66,9,70,5,72&template_id=1&region_id=1

Go there and find the latest video drivers for you model

Thise site has drivers for my model: VGN-FZ140E at least, but none of them are allowing the game to run properly, so no luck there.

@XuGator said: You should be downloading drivers from here: http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/updates/updates.asp

This site doesn't even have my model. :\

• @ahab said: All these games you listed have had the same problems and complaints. Try playing COD World at War on a laptop and see what happens. I'm sure all the game developers out there don't have every single type of computer setup to test the game on. There are going to be bugs. They set a standard specification for their game and if you don't meet it it's hit or miss...

It sounds like most of the problems are because people don't have a DirectX 8.1-compliant video card

If you want to play newer games you need to get better equipment. Sorry It's just a fact.

I had problems too but they cleared up after a restart of the game.

ahab

I have a laptop fairly new that has a GMA (Graphics Media Accel) in it and I can run those games on this laptop just fine. Granted I'm not running the latest COD, however, I was able to run the first version. :p I'm just curiois why this game, which does not seem so graphic intense, can't run on systems with Intel's GMA 95x and 96x chipsets. Not sure about later versions.

I had to move the game to a 64bit system with a much better graphics card (7600) and 4GB of onboard memory... Why?

NOTES: I was able to move the game intensity setting down to 2 and noticed a much better mouse performace on the laptop, however, as soon I I started the first chapter it exited. Also, on the better system, the performace lagged in the begging also (very bad) and I had to lower the intensity to a 3. That system has run games like BF2, so I'm really :confused:

• @HouseFantastic said: Thise site has drivers for my model: VGN-FZ140E at least, but none of them are allowing the game to run properly, so no luck there.

This site doesn't even have my model. :\

SAME HERE!

I'm using a Toshiba with Vista - I've downloaded all the drivers I can find on the Toshiba and the Intel download isn't working :confused:

SO CROSS! Any other ideas anyone???

• So, I reformatted my entire C drive to play this game. I updated drivers once more and... lo and behold! It works! Totally worth the hassle. :D

• Gee, i played Sam&Max Season 1 partly on a GeForce3 and it was working perfectly.

Do you know how outdated a GeForce4 MX is? That's a DirectX7 card.

Here are the sytem requirements for Tales of Monkey Island:

*snip*
    System Requirements:

Operating system: Windows XP / Vista
    Processor: 2.0 GHz + (3 GHz Pentium 4 or equivalent rec.)
    Memory: 512MB (1GB rec.) Sound: DirectX 8.1 sound device
    Video: 64MB DirectX 8.1-compliant video card (128MB rec.)
    DirectX®: Version 9.0c or better
    *snap*

AGP system are still fine for running games like TOMI. Maybe you could upgrade you gfx card? There exist quite some options. The best you can get is a ATI 3850 which still can handle a lot more than such games, sells for something about $100 but you can get also a decent card for half of the price.

Add Comment