User Avatar Image

Video issues displaying UI elements

posted by TylerK on - last edited - Viewed by 459 users

Several people including myself having display issues as shown in screenshot here:
http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=149870&postcount=16

UI elements such as the inventory are showing up all black, but still appear to operate normally. (I can take items out of inventory even if I can't see them.)

Updated DX, drivers, etc etc. I'm using fairly old hardware but I haven't had a problem with previous Telltale games.

17 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Same problem for me. Not only that, but the game lags. I'd give you guys proper statistics for my videocard, but it's all in Dutch so it's hard to figure out what means what.

It's a Via/S3G Unichrome Pro igp videocard. ... If that means anything.

• Unfortunately, all of these cards listed are really pretty old, so there isn't a whole lot we can do about it. If the drivers and directx are up to date, then it may just not support a necessary lighting effect or something. If you can't get it to work, please write in to support@telltalegames.com for a refund

• Then... This means we won't be able to play the game at all? Rather than receiving a better (perhaps downgraded?) version, we get our money back? I suppose it's fair, but... Does this mean we won't get the DVD at the end of the series either?

• Same issue here, menus and inventory are all black.

Using NVIDIA Quadro 980 GXL graphic card, never had problems playing other games on this PC. :(

Update or I want my money back.

• Well the dvd would have all of the same problems as this version. They will be essentially the exact same game. We've got some people looking into it, but with video cards that old, we like just won't be able to support them.

• Oh! I was under the assumption the DVD is as the name implies, just a DVD. A documentary about the Monkey Island series, or something similar. Some nice collector's item the Monkey Island fans would love to get their hands on.

And anyway, the 'DVD' could always be used a few years from now, when I get a new computer that DOES have the system requirements.

• @Will said: Well the dvd would have all of the same problems as this version. They will be essentially the exact same game. We've got some people looking into it, but with video cards that old, we like just won't be able to support them.

Can't you tell or ask someone in the loop the exact pixel shader version needed?

On Steam page it says: "Graphics: 64MB DirectX 8.1-compliant video card (128MB rec.)"

Now, DirectX 8.1-compliant can mean either Pixel Shader 1.3 or 1.4

GeForce Ti 4200(as someone posted this card here) supports Pixel Shader 1.3 but not 1.4. As we can see from the pics that the version 1.3 isn't enough so is the minimum Pixel Shader needed 1.4 or maybe even 2.0?

And people can check their Pixel Shader version from here: http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php
    Choose your card and look for the "PS/VS Version:" line, first number is Pixel Shader, 2nd number Vertex Shader.

• Theoretically, we should support both. But with different driver support and a thousand other factors sometimes the older stuff just doesn't quite work.

• I'm just confused as to why the game has this problem on my computer that is supposed to have a better graphics card, but works (though a little choppy) on my laptop with just the standard intel chipset.
    So is this to say that all future episodes will have the same issue?

• I would say that it's likely to be true for future episodes as well.

Add Comment