User Avatar Image

DIE LUF DER FLOTSAM SAUGEN - you gotta be kidding

posted by TashSunrider on - last edited - Viewed by 1K users

(concerning the flag of Flotsam island)

That must be the most sorry attempt to translate an english sentence into german i have ever seen.

It's so bad that it's not even funny bad anymore. Any free online sentence translator could do it better than this word by word translation.

Not only the total disregard of all grammar, or the miss-spelling of one out of four german 3-4 letter words but also the fact that the saying even translated correctly doesn't make any sense to start with.

Just out of curiosity, why did you have to go for "German" on that flag if you don't even have the resources to type the sentence into babelfish.

68 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Being German I would translate it as follows:

Flotsam sucks the air

• Yes, I also did not see the point when I saw the flag - in fact, it was so bad that I decided it must not have been meant to be German!

However, given the Stanford motto, I guess it was meant to be - in that case, it was extremely poor. "Die Luft von Flotsam saugt" would have been tolerable. "Die Luft von Flotsam stinkt" would make more sense, although it might not be accurate - does the air on Flotsam stink?

Anyway, it seems to me this is an intended joke that missed its mark.

• @Bruno83 said: ger.: Also wenn ich das mal jemanden so verwenden höre, werde ich ihm wahrscheinlich eine kleben!
    engl.: If I ever here someone using it that way in german, I'll probably glue him some!

OK, now who's getting this joke?

I think, I got the Joke. Nearly pissed my pants, really.

By the way, as far as I remember, the few Episodes of Beavis and Butthead that were translated to German, used the term "das saugt" for "this sucks".

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

I demand a patch for this! ;)

• @MOKKA said: I think, I got the Joke. Nearly pissed my pants, really.

By the way, as far as I remember, the few Episodes of Beavis and Butthead that were translated to German, used the term "das saugt" for "this sucks".

How is that funny?

• @drybrush said: How is that funny?

It isn't!

• @hansschmucker said: Ich glaub da haben die Österreicher ihre eigene Interpretation. Bei uns heist saugen, naja... saugen eben. Sonst nichts.

(Talking about people in Austria using the word differently from people in Germany)

Having learned Hochdeutsch in school (in Norway and in the US) and subsequently having lived in Austria (Vienna), I can vouch for this.

The Austrian versions of German bear almost no semblance to anything spoken in Germany, except perhaps some of the Bavarian dialects. :)

• I would REALLY like to know why telltale decided to put that in the game. But it seems they don't like to talk about design decisions in here...

• I'm pretty sure they did it to piss off the Germans. In fact, if you are German and/or speak German, you should take it as a personal insult.

• You know, this is just the sort of the thing I'd expect from a guy from Stanfird. Shoulda put a Cal man on the job, then we'd have avoided the whole thing. ;)

P.S. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Marquis is also not quite as French as he seems, seeing how he doesn't know which Louis is king.

Add Comment