User Avatar Image

Tales of Monkey Island - Computer shuts down

posted by nicki9000 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.6K users

Hi,

I can't play the game. The game starts just and everything seems to be okay but after 5 minutes or so the computer just shuts down. The longest was around 10 minutes.

I have:
- Lenovo T60p
- Vista Home Premium (SP2)
- Intel Core 2 2.16GHz
- ATI Mobility FireGl V5250
- 2 GB RAM
- DirectX 10

I found others who had the same problem but I couldn't find a solution so far.

Thank you for any help

72 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Will said: Hey Nicki, try downloading the most recent version of your drivers from here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/fire/Legacy/Pages/fire_vista32.aspx?type=2.4.3&product=2.4.3.3.2.3.9〈=English

Also, it never hurts to try updating your DirectX again. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

Hi Will,
    that was fast...
    I already did both a few times but it never worked. I also redownloaded the game and installed t several times.
    I have no idea what else could cause this. Maybe display drivers? Do you have other ideas?

Thanks again

• Hmm, it looks like your video card is good enough that it *should* work. Have you tried turning your in-game graphics settings down?

Oh, another thing is that your laptop could just be overheating. You could try playing on a cool, hard surface, and turning off as many background programs as possible.

• Normally the PC goes to Standby when it overheats and it does not really feel cold. I tried playing it in a cool environment with your pref-file but the same thing happened.

The same discussion went on in this thread:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9806&highlight=shuts

Is there a software which can monitor the video card and temperature?

• You're not alone nicki, im having this problem too

• I did it! I don't know exactly what it was but after reinstalling some Lenovo software and almost every driver the problem was gone. So just at least there is a solution.

Thanks for your help!

• I'm having a similar problem, except it started *after* I had progressed pretty far into the game. I was able to play it for an hour or two last night without issue and for a few hours this morning before it started crashing my computer.

It started happening when I was in the jungle area wandering around. The screen flickers and goes blue and I have to turn on and turn off the computer. It crashed in-game two or three times, and now it won't even start! The Lucasarts and Telltale Games logos appear, but when the title screen comes rushing out of the jungle, it crashes completely, and I have to reboot.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game to no avail, and tried the prefs.prop file. My graphics settings were at 3 and the in-game resolution was higher than default, but I don't remember what it was exactly. I tried updating all of my drivers, and I still have the same issue.

Windows XP Professional
    Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2400+, MMX, 3DNow, 2GHZ
    Memory: 1024MB RAM

Name: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
    Current Display Mode: 1024x768 32 bit 75Hz
    Main Driver: ati2dvag.dll
    Version: 6.14.00.10.6925
    Date: 02/25/2009

Let me know if I missed anything! Please help!!

• Hiya, I posted this on one of the other threads but I think it seems more appropriate here.

I start it up, get through the skull-and-crossbones pretty quickly, get past the "avast" screen, even up to the jungle bit, and then... it crashes. By crashes, I mean restarts my bloody computer. Even my Intel-based laptop gets further than that (but it runs it so slowly it's almost unplayable, which is why I'm using this computer).

Specs of the computer I'm using:

Windows XP Home Edition
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
    Memory: 512MB RAM

Graphics:
    Name: ATI Radeon 9550/X1050 Series
    Current Display Mode: 1024x768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Main Driver: ati2dvag.dll
    Version: 6.14.0010.6833 (English)
    Date: 04/07/2008 04:23:46

Thanks for your support.

• I have an almost identical setup to you, StansCoffins, so maybe this will work for you. It sounds weird (to me, anyway. I'm far from an expert at these things), but I downloaded some old drivers for my graphics card and the game works fine now. I was able to get past the title screen, reload a save, play for about an hour, and there were no crashes! Hopefully this performance will keep up until the end of the game, and there won't be any problems with future chapters.

I found the driver here: http://www.omegadrivers.net/ati_winxp.php and used the first mirror to download it.

• unfortunately I am unable to even run the game. :(
    all I can get is up to starting the game and before the game proper loads - the computer resets.
    I have turned off the auto restart at crash - so when the crash occurs it locks at the BSOD showing initially,
    Problem Caused by nv4_disp.dll
    Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area.
    tech Info:
    STOP: 0x00000050 (0XBDE297CE, 0X00000001, 0XBFA06ECA, 0X00000002)
    nv4_disp.dll - address BFA06ECA base at BF9BB000, DateStamp 3cc090b7.

I reloaded the most recent driver, and servicepack, also the directX , and still get crash, now with a slightly different stop code.
    STOP:0X0000008E (0X00000005, 0XBFA08B2F, 0XF325F904, 0X00000000)
    nv4_disp.dll - Address BFA08B2F base at BF9BB000, DateStamp 3fd73a78.

PC computer
    Toshiba , WinXP
    nVidia GeForce4 420 GO [Toshiba]

this is the only programme or game which causes this type of lockup or crash.
    :(
    It is a pity M$ has had to make the OS so complicated - the original Monkey Islands would run on almost every computer which could run DOS ...
    Many games today have detectors built-in which look for compatibility with the requirements need to run it checking graphics, OS, CPU, etc. ... and wont install if standards not met ...
    With the problems trying to run This one, perhaps this direction may be needed for future editions.
    ALSO
    please add a Machine Requirements list for running the games!

Add Comment