User Avatar Image

PETITION to Telltale Games to translate Tales of Monkey Island into SPANISH

posted by trape on - last edited - Viewed by 3.3K users

Before I start, give my congratulations on the great work you are doing specially to Telltale Games that have revived this great saga.

I am a boy of 18 years in Spain, as is my normal level of English is not very high. I have been a good little fan of this saga since Monkey Island 1. I would like you to putt the subtitles in Spanish, althought take many months to make, I will wait, but I would like enjoy 100% of the game and all of his jokes that I thint thar are great, but because of my level of English I don't understand all.

Thank you very much for your attention and I hope that in some month I will see a pack of Tales of Monkey Island in Spanish, which I and a lot of fans that they are in Spain will buy it, so the sales would be secured.

PD:Sorry for my bad english :( and thanks again!

198 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I was going to create a thread like this to ask for a translation to spanish, but it is already done, so I only want to say one thing to you Telltale.

I wont buy a game that I cant understand correctly, and like me, a lot of spanish people will do the same. It is unforgivable nowadays.

Sorry for my english :mad:

• They really need a few more languages besides Spanish. How about German and Czech? I have friends in Germany and Czech Republic that would also like a translation in their native language. They are upset too. It seems like when a translation occurs, it is only in Spanish. There are more major languages in the world.

• I am Spanish and I started to play games in early 80's (I was 14 years old or so) In that time you could only study one foreign language at school and it was typically French or English, pretty much 50/50. Nowadays English is taught as 1st foreign language and you can optionaly learn a 2nd foreign language (note there are some parts of Spain which have another official language along with Spanish -as it happens in my case, Galician-)

Going to the point, I chose French so basicaly I've never studied English until 6-8 years ago, but I was able to learn it up to a certain degree on my own just having to deal with it almost every day, and I have to say games helped A LOT with it.

Probably a full dub cost is out of scope, and a request for any of major foreign languages sounds fair and probably not too costly to be satisfied (in a long term), but it's all up to TT to fulfill it or not, this is a bussiness and no matter what costs will prevail.

I'd advise you to get a decent translation dictionary and go ahead with English subtitles, you will enjoy the game the same as if it was in Spanish and you will speed up your English learning, a language that you WILL have to learn, and the sooner the better.

• @Wile_E said: They really need a few more languages besides Spanish. How about German and Czech? I have friends in Germany and Czech Republic that would also like a translation in their native language. They are upset too. It seems like when a translation occurs, it is only in Spanish. There are more major languages in the world.

How many people would you estimate haven't played the game because it's in english?

• @mizar said: [...] I'd advise you to get a decent translation dictionary and go ahead with English subtitles, you will enjoy the game the same as if it was in Spanish and you will speed up your English learning, a language that you WILL have to learn, and the sooner the better.

There is time for everything, time for studing and time for playing, and what I wont do is to play a game looking each word in a dictionary.

Excuse me if I reply him in spanish, if you want to understand, take a dictionary :p

A ver Mizar, lo que no puede ser es que en estos tiempos tengamos que andar jugando a los videojuegos con un diccionario, antes se hacía porque no quedaban más cojones, pero ahora cuando el mercado está mucho más globalizado yo creo que es imprescindible poner a disposición de los potenciales jugadores el software en su lengua materna.
    Si empezamos a tragar cosas como estas, las desarrolladoras irán descuidando cada vez más el mercado español.
    Imagínate tener que ver una película en inglés teniéndo que pararla cada cinco minutos para buscar el significado de lo que dicen en un diccionario. Es inpensable.
    Es cierto que tener un nivel alto de inglés en esta sociedad es imprescindible, pero para eso ya existen los estudios, y el que no quiera estudiar que se fastidie el día de mañana.
    También es cierto que los videojuego ayudan mucho a aprender inglés, lo poco que se yo prácticamente es por ellos, pero hoy en día puedes acceder a la configuración del juego y cambiar el idioma, así que si lo traducen los que quieran jugarlo con diccionario podrán hacerlo y los que no quieran complicarse la vida, también.

Un saludo.

• @Yandros said: How many people would you estimate haven't played the game because it's in english?

Everyone who can't speak english, for example, who is a lot of peolple.

And Wile_E is right, the game should be translated to a huge variety of languages.

• @NewWendigo said: There is time for everything, time for studing and time for playing, and what I wont do is to play a game looking each word in a dictionary.

Excuse me if I reply him in spanish, if you want to understand, take a dictionary :p

A ver Mizar, lo que no puede ser es que en estos tiempos tengamos que andar jugando a los videojuegos con un diccionario, antes se hacía porque no quedaban más cojones, pero ahora cuando el mercado está mucho más globalizado yo creo que es imprescindible poner a disposición de los potenciales jugadores el software en su lengua materna.
    Si empezamos a tragar cosas como estas, las desarrolladoras irán descuidando cada vez más el mercado español.
    Imagínate tener que ver una película en inglés teniéndo que pararla cada cinco minutos para buscar el significado de lo que dicen en un diccionario. Es inpensable.
    Es cierto que tener un nivel alto de inglés en esta sociedad es imprescindible, pero para eso ya existen los estudios, y el que no quiera estudiar que se fastidie el día de mañana.
    También es cierto que los videojuego ayudan mucho a aprender inglés, lo poco que se yo prácticamente es por ellos, pero hoy en día puedes acceder a la configuración del juego y cambiar el idioma, así que si lo traducen los que quieran jugarlo con diccionario podrán hacerlo y los que no quieran complicarse la vida, también.

Un saludo.

Cierto, yo también escribo esta respuesta en español para que sientan lo que fastidia tener que buscar un traductor i ir traduciendo palabra a palabra, significado a signifcado, para entender un juego (que es mundialmente conocido) que no lleva ni unos simples subtitulos en español.

Un saludo y espero que hayan entendido ahora como se siente uno al tener que buscar un traductor para de español-ingles para poder saber lo que he puesti, eso es a lo que me refiero.

• @NewWendigo said: Everyone who can't speak english, for example, who is a lot of peolple.

And Wile_E is right, the game should be translated to a huge variety of languages.

Do you think (language other than english) fans such as yourself would contribute toward translating the games as part of a fan or community project?

I posted this before, but I think everyone missed it.
    http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/7051/spanish.png

It's possible, with telltale's permission, to do fan translations (subtitles only).

• Well, i'm not lonely in this petition that I'm supporting since the original "Give us the translation" thread.
    I can read quite english, but i cannot pausing the game in every moment to alt-tab the application and run to wordreference.com trying to understand what the hell guybrush have just said. I dont want to buy the english version, I prefer to wait

I'm not lonely too in fighting against the most racist person around here. Give him a svastica and you'll have a mini Hitler

Greetings from Argentina to all spanish people

• NewWendigo, I beg to difer, there's a reason why English level is so poor in Spain, we should learn from contries around us, Portugal is a good example. It's not about ranking a language above other, it's about making an effort to learn a language that it's -the facto- world's common language.

The main reason why English is so poor in Spain is we avoid facing it as much as we can, we give up too often dealing with anything that is not in Spanish.

I see your point, but I think a Spanish translation would be more a 'bonus' than a 'requirement' for TT. I loved to browse in dictionaries for words and meanings in computer games, I reckon it can be tiresome when you have to do it too often, but as time goes by you notice each time you have to use it less often, and that's very rewarding, I wouldn't call that 'to study' and even if I called it that way it wouldn't be anything wrong with it, you make it look as if studying was an unpleasant activity.

Learning is good, learning is fun, learning while playing a game is double the fun, and a good opportunity.

This discussion has been closed.