User Avatar Image

Petition for better voice audio quality

posted by puntloos on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

Bought the entire season purely on the merit of the first game (from what, 1994?). Overall I liked the game a lot, although I suppose the situations could be slightly more 'zany' for my tastes.

One thing bugged me though, the bad audio quality used for the voice samples. Now I admit I'm a music lover so my standards are probably higher than average but really, the sound quality was so sub par.. what did you guys use, 10kbit mp3? (OK I overexaggerate a bit, but frankly I found the sound of the ORIGINAL game better :eek: )

(just to make it clear Im not suggesting to replace the voice actors, those were fine)

Please telltale games, won't you either

a/ encode the audio (I heartily reccommend ogg vorbis - its 100% free) at a higher bitrate
b/ keep the audio the same for internet download size reasons, but give us better audio in the CD release

I figure I'll add a poll here to see if I stand alone on this.

62 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • although i likes me some fine audio quality, I've never found 128 kbs audio to be really bad. As long as there are any pops, it sounded fine piping out of my computer speakers.

I guess if it's not too much trouble, pump them up for the CD release. But for now, all eyes on staying the course and pumping out episodes in a timely fashion!

• @Mel said: I think the original poster is fine with the new voice actors, it was the audio quality he was discussing. :)

That's what I get for not actually reading the posts. ;-)

I'll just save this for the next time some one brings it up.

• @numble said: That would be even more poll engineering than what you've already done...

You mean like, say, stating something without any proof, providing no quotes/examples, implying foul play and hinting that anyone who doesn't see through my obvious tricks is an idiot? That kind of engineering? :rolleyes:

Anyhow, In my defense, Ive looked through the first few pages of the forum, and didn't see a topic (let alone a poll) that I thought applied to the issue at hand. Now that telltale says they are at least aware of the topic, I'm satisfied that they will at consider the issue. If it is their business choice to leave it as it is, I will respect that.

• I like the New Voice actors just fine. I'm just rather surprised to hear audio sampling that is equal to or worse quality than that of the 1994 version of the Sam & Max game. Could you PLEASE offer high quality audio file sizes for those that aren't on 56k modems? Horribly compressed audio kills me in a age where we have high quality digital equipment & fairly high bandwith.

I suppose I expected at least sound quality better than the 1994 game.

I will say that this has given me reason to wait to buy other games like Bone and such. Fuzzy voices don't do it for me. And Maxes voice levels need to be brought up if you are going to keep it at that high compression level. Alot of that voice actors low range voice is sliced off when you compress it all.

• It could be a little better, but I can't complain, though some lines get my attention with being bit too overcompressed. Just do(Telltale) it in a way that best suits you, I do not mind downloading bigger file or getting better ones on CD :)

offtopic: The voice acting is great in the game! I really liked every charecter and how their voice was just what I would've expected.

• @Roft said: I like the New Voice actors just fine. I'm just rather surprised to hear audio sampling that is equal to or worse quality than that of the 1994 version of the Sam & Max game. Could you PLEASE offer high quality audio file sizes for those that aren't on 56k modems? Horribly compressed audio kills me in a age where we have high quality digital equipment & fairly high bandwith.

I suppose I expected at least sound quality better than the 1994 game.

I will say that this has given me reason to wait to buy other games like Bone and such. Fuzzy voices don't do it for me. And Maxes voice levels need to be brought up if you are going to keep it at that high compression level. Alot of that voice actors low range voice is sliced off when you compress it all.

Uh that's exactly what this poll is about :) the voice actors are fine, the voice compression isnt :)

• When a problem comes calling only a fool sticks his head in the sand.

• The trailer ive just seen from episode 2. It sounds like they inproved the soundquality, it more dark and not so squicky like some voices in episode 1.

• I have nothing against the audio quality, actually it helps make the game feasible for dialup users and I fully support that. I remember back when I was on dialup with some company or other over here in the UK and it was terrible trying to download anything, to link to a suitable analogy it was like trying to do the average rounds at the supermarket whilst wearing lead shoes and being followed by little aliens with lasers that would frequently zap my groceries for their amusement. Okay, granted that wasn't a very good analogy, in fact it sucked ... but it'll do. The point is that I remember, slow speeds and disconnects every few hours, it was depressing to try to download anything over a couple of hundred MeB.

I'm actually amazed at the filesizes that Telltale use, how much they can fit into these little packed files of theirs. It's genuinely amazing on times when one considers all the models, textures, art and voices in such a small space. If there's one thing other companies could learn from Telltale it's proper compression and optimisation methods.

The sound quality in the first might've been a little off but it's definitely improving and it's better in the second episode, I think they're just trying to get a good quality-to-file-size ratio whilst keeping it a viable download for dialup people and to be frnak, I think that's a noble goal, I just wish that other companies cared about dialup users as much.

I'm not a dialup user anymore (thank the pantheons) but I'm not incompassionate or deaf to their plight either, not everyone has broadband yet and it's nice to see that some online content is available to them, too.

• How about a broadband version in FLAC?
    It would be about 300mb - much less than the Dreamfall demo ;)

Add Comment