User Avatar Image

PETITION to Telltale Games to translate Tales of Monkey Island into SPANISH

posted by trape on - last edited - Viewed by 1.9K users

Before I start, give my congratulations on the great work you are doing specially to Telltale Games that have revived this great saga.

I am a boy of 18 years in Spain, as is my normal level of English is not very high. I have been a good little fan of this saga since Monkey Island 1. I would like you to putt the subtitles in Spanish, althought take many months to make, I will wait, but I would like enjoy 100% of the game and all of his jokes that I thint thar are great, but because of my level of English I don't understand all.

Thank you very much for your attention and I hope that in some month I will see a pack of Tales of Monkey Island in Spanish, which I and a lot of fans that they are in Spain will buy it, so the sales would be secured.

PD:Sorry for my bad english :( and thanks again!

198 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Yandros said: Do you think (language other than english) fans such as yourself would contribute toward translating the games as part of a fan or community project?

I posted this before, but I think everyone missed it.
    http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/7051/spanish.png

It's possible, with telltale's permission, to do fan translations (subtitles only).

Yandros: you did that really into the program? :D:D:D:D:D:D
    Excellent! there are a lot of advanced english-spanish translators who can do it for free!!!
    I LOVE you :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

• @Yandros said: Do you think (language other than english) fans such as yourself would contribute toward translating the games as part of a fan or community project?

It's possible, with telltale's permission, to do fan translations (subtitles only).

Well it is certainly possible, but it is a shame that the fan community had to do the work that Telltale doesn't want to do.

I keep my word, I won't give my money to anyone who seem isn't interested in the spanish market and dont translate the games. If I don't interest them, they don't interest me as well.

• @vacacionero said:
    [quote=Yandros]Do you think (language other than english) fans such as yourself would contribute toward translating the games as part of a fan or community project?

Yandros: you did that really into the program? :D:D:D:D:D:D
    Excellent! there are a lot of advanced english-spanish translators who can do it for free!!!
    I LOVE you :D :D :D :D :D :D :D[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's actually in the game. I'm willing to setup a community for fan translations of telltale games, if people are interested. But I don't know how telltale will react. I think legally speaking we need their permission.

• I agree this petition but not only for Spanish.
    I think that ONLY one petition to translate the subtitles in Spanish, French, Italian, Deutsch will have more audit.

But I think that we can wait at the end of the Season when TOMI will be on DVD and with subtitles in other languages.

I'd like if Telltale release a file (XML for example) with the english subtitles so someone can transate it in all the languages. Then with a little extra (in configuration of the game) for import the file there will be the Spanish or Italian, or French...ecc.. sutitles.

Internet sites of forum by Monkey Island fun can do it.

• Mizar, sinceramente y lo voy a decir pronto y mal, si para jugar a un juego (que al fin y al cabo es lo que hago en mis momentos de ocio para relajarme y desconectar de mis obligaciones) tengo que andar partiendome el culo para buscar el significado de cada palabra, que le den por culo.

Tengo entendido que los libros se traducen a la mayoría de las distintas lenguas que hay en el mundo, es más, el éxito de un libro se mira tanto por sus ventas como por los idiomas a los que ha sido traducido.

O que cuando se lleva una película de origen patrio a estados unidos, o les pones unos subtítulos o te la escupen a la cara. Aquí solo estamos pidiendo que nos den el mismo trato que demandan ellos.

wordreference.com

• @Yandros said: Yeah that's actually in the game. I'm willing to setup a community for fan translations of telltale games, if people are interested. But I don't know how telltale will react. I think legally speaking we need their permission.

ok, I'd be glad to belong to that community

• @cisco_tn said: I agree this petition but not only for Spanish.
    I think that ONLY one petition to translate the subtitles in Spanish, French, Italian, Deutsch will have more audit.

But I think that we can wait at the end of the Season when TOMI will be on DVD and with subtitles in other languages.

I'd like if Telltale release a file (XML for example) with the english subtitles so someone can transate it in all the languages. Then with a little extra (in configuration of the game) for import the file there will be the Spanish or Italian, or French...ecc.. sutitles.

cisco: read what yandros are posting

• I keep my word, I won't give my money to anyone who seem isn't interested in the spanish market and dont translate the games. If I don't interest them, they don't interest me as well.

Pretty sure they have made their numbers and there's a reason why they haven't and/or if they will any time in the future. You can bete missed customers have been acounted for.

Yeah that's actually in the game. I'm willing to setup a community for fan translations of telltale games, if people are interested. But I don't know how telltale will react. I think legally speaking we need their permission.

Trademarks and copyrights aside, I don't think TT will allow 3rd party meddling with their products. If they haven't released localized versions it's because its costs (money/time), it's not as easy as dumping a text into an automated translator, there are expresions, scripts, stories to be kept making sense, and according a certain QA.

• @cisco_tn said: I think that ONLY one petition to translate the subtitles in Spanish, French, Italian, Deutsch will have more audit.

I agree with this.

@cisco_tn said: I'd like if Telltale release a file (XML for example) with the english subtitles so someone can transate it in all the languages. Then with a little extra (in configuration of the game) for import the file there will be the Spanish or Italian, or French...ecc.. sutitles.

But not with this. It's their work, damn it.

If they want more sales in the spanish region (or other regions) the must work a little for them.

• I hate to come off sounding rude, but....

I petition people stop making new translation threads. Telltale has already stated all they know and currently plan about translations. Use the forum search function and read the billion other threads on these topics already posted.

BTW, there's no reason why Spanish should get precedent over other major languages that are wanting a translation.

This discussion has been closed.