User Avatar Image

Monkey Island on PS3?

posted by Marscaleb on - last edited - Viewed by 2.2K users

I for one would like to see this game on the PS3.
I would like it on the PS3 more than I would for the PC or Wii.

But I am just one voice. What about the others here?

99 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Marscaleb said:
    And yes, DOS-box and ScummVM are splendid answers to these specific titles we have brought in for example. But they do not work perfectly for all old games. When I bought the Space Quest Collection, I discovered that it was designed to run by implementing Dos-box, but I could only play the latest of the games because all the others ran at too-low of a resolution for my fancy-schmancy LCD monitor to display. (I now use a very heavy CRT instead. Image is better anyway.) An even when using these external applications to emulate old hardware, they require some setup and installation of their own, which increases the hassle.

Actually Scummvms scalers work quite well, as for dosbox if your monitor cannot handle it anymore you have to play windowed.
    In my opinion the scaling problem is way worse with consoles, there are a load of people stuck in the Wii virtual console with titles they cannot play on their LCDs anymore unless they drop the component cable, some titles play well.
    Not sure if dosbox does´t have also scalers inside!

Unless you hack your wii and install an emulator you dont get access to those titles anymore which you might have legally purchased.
    Nintendo fixed the issue only for a handful of games!

The same goes for people who bought a second generation PS3 they are out of options to play their old PS2 games anymore, unless they add their PS2 to the monitor/tv (which for many is a no option)
    In my personal opinion the PC is way more open regarding legacy software than any console, because in most cases the emulators do a decent job to do it!
    And even if none of this works out you still can install good ole DOS on an extra partition if you want to go through the hoops!
    The current stack of machines still can run it without too much hazzle!
    (might change once the machines move over to EFI like apple already has done but for now it works!)

• @doomsoth said: I already bought this game for the PC; however, I don't see any reason why Telltale shouldn't port it to the PS3.

The only reason I can see is porting effort, the PS3 is rather hard to program for... in the long run I am pretty sure they have to port their engine anyway, but it has to pay off!

• @doomsoth said: I already bought this game for the PC; however, I don't see any reason why Telltale shouldn't port it to the PS3.

Agreed.

I'm a huge adventure game fan. I grew up playing all the classics like Zork, Space Quest, Maniac Mansion, etc.

As an adult with 3 children now myself, we have no small amount of entertainment choices in our home. But we don't own PC's... we prefer Mac. We don't own a Wii because (other than it's not HD, which is ridiculous this day and age) I think its titles are lowest-common-denominator entertainment, whereas there are more engaging titles for Xbox 360 (of which we own 1) and PS3 (of which we own 2).

I'd love to introduce my kids to these favorites like Sam & Max, Monkey Island, etc. But I am not in the minority as a Mac user (not anymore), or as a PS3/X360 owner. So sure, I'd prefer the games were available on one (or all) of those platforms.

@doomsoth said: The only reason I can see is porting effort, the PS3 is rather hard to program for... in the long run I am pretty sure they have to port their engine anyway, but it has to pay off!

Don't buy into the garbage that the PS3 is "hard" to program for. Its hardware and SDK are more sophisticated. But saying it's "harder" to program for is like saying the Wall Street Journal is "harder" to read than the Harry Potter series.

• ps3??!?!?!? they will never see my money!!! the PS was the cause they have runed monkey island 4 just to make it playable for the ps version... this is my guess i'm not sure but it looks like.... so they will never have my support, sorry but i'm very disappointed about this arg.

• @Ash735 said: They'd only put it on the PSN (PS3 Network) if it was guranteed to sell well, Sony charge more from teams to host games on the PSN compared to Nintendo and Microsoft, which is why most games arn't on the PSN or arrive at a later date once they have prooved sales on the Wii or 360.

You got that news item wrong. They charge for DOWNLOAD BANDWIDTH while Nintendo and Microsoft don't. So putting up a big demo is expensive and risky on PSN, but putting up an episode where every user has to pay anyway is no more problematic than on any other closed platform.

• @VoodooLoL said: ps3??!?!?!? they will never see my money!!! the PS was the cause they have runed monkey island 4 just to make it playable for the ps version... this is my guess i'm not sure but it looks like.... so they will never have my support, sorry but i'm very disappointed about this arg.

That's not entirely true. EMI used a modified version of the control scheme from Grim Fandango, which was never ported to any consoles.

• @Bagge said: That's not entirely true. EMI used a modified version of the control scheme from Grim Fandango, which was never ported to any consoles.

i could be wrong now, but i don't think so if i rememer correctly, the control scheme was designed for a joypad/controller and not point&click using a mouse, so EMI was the first/last monkey episode that was using that kind of controls, and at the same time, it was the first/last (not so sure here about the "last") available for console and in that case, for play station... so that's the reason why i said what i said in my post, if i got wrong i'm sorry but this is what i remember...

• About the PS3 in general and ToMI PS3 support in particular.

I, as well as the rest of Europe would welcome it, because right now there's nothing that we grownups can play (yes, I realize the irony of saying this, but at least in Germany Wii and XBox360 are primarily marketed for kids and young adults). Right now the PSN is sadly without any real adventures and while porting the TTT would take a bit more work than for XBox360, I think that TTG's catalog is by now big enough that we can be reasonable sure that porting the engine over would pay off.

I know that I'd repurchase ToMI and very likely Sam and Max... Wallace and Gromit maybe. Just for the comfort of being able to play these games on my PS3.

• @Sylin said:

Don't buy into the garbage that the PS3 is "hard" to program for. Its hardware and SDK are more sophisticated. But saying it's "harder" to program for is like saying the Wall Street Journal is "harder" to read than the Harry Potter series.

It is hard, you have a rather slow processor with insanely fast vector units, and a toolset from hell which does not support you in any way.
    Sort of like:"here is some shit, we dont know how to deal with it but you will figure out"
    In fact of all platforms the PS3 probably is currently the hardest to develop for!

It is just that the frameworks already are maturing so it becomes easier
    (especially the shooter engines) now, but that does not help a company which does use their own toolset.
    Porting from the PC to the XBOX is a no brainer, but porting anything to the PS3 is a walk into hell!

It was pretty much was the same with the PS2 (two hard to sychronize mips prozessors doing anything) but the installbase justified to develop the tools!

• @Sylin said: Don't buy into the garbage that the PS3 is "hard" to program for. Its hardware and SDK are more sophisticated. But saying it's "harder" to program for is like saying the Wall Street Journal is "harder" to read than the Harry Potter series.

Actually, Sony Computer Entertainment's CEO stated they made it hard to program intentionally:

Here's it:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10173656-17.htm

Absolutely foolish and completely disrespectful for developers and final users alike, of course, as many others of Sony's policies.

Add Comment