User Avatar Image

Problems on Windows 7 64-bit

posted by CuriosTiger on - last edited - Viewed by 825 users

So I installed the game on a PC that's running a 64-bit version of Windows 7. It wanted to install all kinds of DirectX components going back to 2005, which I found odd -- I would think the necessary ones are already *in* Windows 7?

This leaves me wondering if I corrupted DirectX by allowing it -- when the game finished installing and started, it was extremely slow. I had to bump it all the way down to Quality level 1 (the lowest) to get acceptable performance.

I quit and restarted the game to see if that was a fluke. Or tried to -- I then received an error message stating that the game's data files could not be found and consequently the game did not start. I was able to start the game, but only by manually digging down to C:\Program Files (x86)\ and finding the relevant application directly. The shortcuts didn't work.

This last problem may be related to the confusion between "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" on the 64-bit versions of Windows. But while I did get the game to run and it's enjoyable, even at graphics quality level 1, this does feel like the installer is sloppy when it comes to DirectX and that there's some polish/QA/beta testing missing. :(

37 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Just make sure to include all the necessary runtimes when you ship the game on disc ;)

• @Will said: They will be :)

How about a fix for the installer issue? That one doesn't seem to be Microsoft's fault. :P

• @CuriosTiger said: - There should be NO reason why a GAME should need administrative privileges on my machine

1. Program Files is not open to normal user writing;
    2. "Windows installer" (the library/background service) is owned by the administrator (go figure).

@CuriosTiger said: - If there is some reason of which I am unaware, the installer should INFORM ME and politely bring up a UAC prompt, not silently fail in weird and bizarre ways.

If you have UAC on, it should bring up a prompt, unless UAC believes it to be malware.

That would be Microsoft's fault. The amount of installers I have personally seen evaluated as malware is insane. Certain (and they shall remain unnamed) updates from the Microsoft download site have been seen to silently fail too. All in the name of security.

• For the record, I did get the UAC prompt. The install still gave the Game menu shortcut problem. I don't quite get the difference between accepting a UAC prompt and executing as admin, TBH. Shouldn't they be the same thing?

And can it technically be deemed Telltale's fault if it only occurs on Windows 7, an unreleased OS we're all experimentally running in its non-final form?

• @Turophile said: 1. Program Files is not open to normal user writing;
    2. "Windows installer" (the library/background service) is owned by the administrator (go figure).

This is for the installer. Installlers normally run with administrative privileges under Windows 7, and I did get (and accepted) the UAC prompt for the installer.

My objection is to the GAME running with administrative privileges, not the installer.

@Turophile said:
    If you have UAC on, it should bring up a prompt, unless UAC believes it to be malware.

That would be Microsoft's fault. The amount of installers I have personally seen evaluated as malware is insane. Certain (and they shall remain unnamed) updates from the Microsoft download site have been seen to silently fail too. All in the name of security.

The installer brings up the prompt fine. But to get the shortcuts to work, I had to first delete them, then put the actual executable into compatibility mode (XPSP2 is what I chose) *and* give it administrative privileges.

After I did that, recreating the shortcut manually works perfectly, although of course it, too, now requires a UAC prompt.

• I don't think you have to do that. I know I didn't. Just navigate to the program files (x86) directory where the game is installed and launch the .exe. It works for me with no special compatibility settings.

• I like being able to launch my games from the start menu or from the games explorer, as opposed to having to manually navigate four layers deep in my folder hierarchy to play.

There's no reason that SHOULDN'T work, and as someone else pointed out, Windows 7 won't be "experimental" come October. I'm guessing it's a simple fix, and I'd encourage TellTale to look into it, release an updated version of Episode 1 that fixes it, and ensure the bug is not in future episodes.

• Not to mention, another thread seemed to indicate that TellTale actually took the effort to code in support for the Games Explorer, which means they've developed for Windows 7.

• @CuriosTiger said: Not to mention, another thread seemed to indicate that TellTale actually took the effort to code in support for the Games Explorer, which means they've developed for Windows 7.

I thought Vista also included Games Explorer?

Anyways, I expect the fix for this to come out... oh about when Win7 hits the store shelves :)

It seems they've got enough on their plate as it is, gotta triage.

Add Comment