User Avatar Image

Tales of Monkey Island - Computer shuts down

posted by nicki9000 on - last edited - Viewed by 927 users

Hi,

I can't play the game. The game starts just and everything seems to be okay but after 5 minutes or so the computer just shuts down. The longest was around 10 minutes.

I have:
- Lenovo T60p
- Vista Home Premium (SP2)
- Intel Core 2 2.16GHz
- ATI Mobility FireGl V5250
- 2 GB RAM
- DirectX 10

I found others who had the same problem but I couldn't find a solution so far.

Thank you for any help

72 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • There actually are system specs on the buy page, but I fear that they aren't A) in an obvious location, B) clear enough and C) high enough. It's something we are going to look into.

Anyway, as to your specific setup trog, I'm having a hell of a time finding directx information for your video card, but it looks like it may not be DX8.1 compatible. If that's true, it would mean that no amount of us fiddling will get the game to work I'm afraid. We will of course be happy to provide a refund if you email support@telltalegames.com

• Thank you, veggio, that really worked a treat. I'm now enjoying the game. Thanks again! :D

• Thanks for the reply,
    the card actually runs directX 9C 2009 version no problem .
    It also happily runs Sam & Max s01E04 Abe Lincoln ... [as per the feedback recommendation to use it to check another problem computer ]

but there is obviously something in the Monkey Island conflicting with the nVidia driver - hence the STOP error relating to "nv4_disp.dll" ... [maybe a monkey wrench jambing things up ... ;) ]

As regards to offering a refund ... thanks , but, NAH ... I'm also a game collector :cool:
    [ the collection is more like a library - over 1500 originals ! ]
    - I'll eventually get a different computer which hopefully should run it ...

but at present - until I find a way around it I'll probably just have to try a different game - or several :rolleyes:

and as regards, the Machine Requirements - should be on the details page NOT just the purchase page ... I spent ages searching the site trying to find the relevant info ... :confused:

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

Since it worked in a similar case you all should try to check your memory with http://www.memtest86.com/ just to be sure.
    Bad memory is often the reason for random crashes.

It is probably enough to run it for one pass. Look at the lower table that looks like this after one pass is finished:

Test Pass Errors
    ---- ---- ------
    Std 1 0

If there are errors they are showed in red as in this example:
    th_Photo024.jpg

• thanks for the info about the MemTest ... I had prior to posting the help me, done the usual research on the STOP error - with the resultant entry from M$ pointing to possible faulty RAM ... as both stop codes relate to "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" .
    ... anyways,
    the test was negative

Test Pass Errors
    ---- ---- ------
    Std 1 0

100% PASS.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    I am sure it is an incomaptibility to the nVidia hardware or Drivers for this
    nVidia GeForce4 420 GO [Toshiba] card ...
    [ actually researching further at microsoft, they have a page relating to SP2 drivers and later being incompatible to these cards !!! - causing weird screen sizes and other faults if installed ... 8| ]
    these cards unfortunately are a slightly "cut-down" version of the similar desktop cards, mainly as a power saving feature for the portables, making them about 90% compatible with what ever ... ;(

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

I am glad the Memory Test was negative.

@trog, @Will
    @Will said: Anyway, as to your specific setup trog, I'm having a hell of a time finding directx information for your video card, but it looks like it may not be DX8.1 compatible. If that's true, it would mean that no amount of us fiddling will get the game to work I'm afraid. We will of course be happy to provide a refund if you email support@telltalegames.com

Hey Will, while researching i found this amazing website with detailed information on graphics cards. You might want to bookmark it for future reference.

For trog's nVidia GeForce4 420 GO it says that only DirectX 7.0 is supported.

Therefore it doesn't fulfill the DirectX 8.1 requirement of ToMI.

trog, if you're willing to exchange your Graphics Card it should be no problem to find a cheap one that works with ToMI. Just state the name of your Mainboard, or if you know what Version of AGP it supports.

• trog, if you're willing to exchange your Graphics Card it should be no problem to find a cheap one that works with ToMI. Just state the name of your Mainboard, or if you know what Version of AGP it supports.

... this PC being a Toshi notebook - I'm not sure if that option is actually possible ... :(

... and thanks to all who have replied ...

- guess I'll just have to sit and watch from the sidelines for this game play :(

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@trog said: I am sure it is an incomaptibility to the nVidia hardware or Drivers for this nVidia GeForce4 420 GO [Toshiba] card ...

Some bad news. Your GeForce4 420 GO only supports DirectX 7, which doesn't meet ToMIs requirements. I found this very useful website just yesterday. I had not enough information about your Graphics card before.

I think your options are limited to playing it on a different computer or getting a refund.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

Just a marker to keep me from reading it all over again:
    So far everyone in this thread, except ZombieAtPlay, has a solution.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@ZombieAtPlay said: You're not alone nicki, im having this problem too

Okay, let's get you back into the game.

What operating system are you using?

Further go to your Start menu and click on Run.
    Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.
    Then go to the Display tab.
    From there, post this information:
    Name:
    Current Display Mode:
    Main Driver:
    Version:
    Date:

Based on Will's post.

Add Comment