User Avatar Image

Flotham Island Overhead Map music! (My Version.)

posted by wdrpgwd on - last edited - Viewed by 301 users

Michael Land's best music is from the overhead map's but TOMI didn't have a song for Flotsam so I did my own. Secretly I'd love to someday have one of my song's in a MI game but my chances are slim.

This ended up sounding more like what Clint or Peter would have written for EMI. It's not quite up to their level imo so don't be harsh. If it was as good as Michael Land I'd be making music professionally. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChA4DehA1_M

Flotsam Island MP3 of it (sounds way better)

EDIT: Don't forget to watch the ending. I put a cool little piece in.

43 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Very nice musical piece. I would really like to know how to add rhythm to my compositions. I just don't have the ear for it... I can dance on rhythm, play on rhythm...but I can't do "drums in background". Weird, huh?
    Any suggestions? Would it be called "cheating" if I would download different loopable rhythms and use them in my songs, then call my songs "original"? :D

• @Silverwolfpet said: Very nice musical piece. I would really like to know how to add rhythm to my compositions. I just don't have the ear for it... I can dance on rhythm, play on rhythm...but I can't do "drums in background". Weird, huh?
    Any suggestions? Would it be called "cheating" if I would download different loopable rhythms and use them in my songs, then call my songs "original"? :D

Well, you could try tapping/clapping/stomping/etc. along to the music, recording that with a microphone then using it as a basis for putting together a rhythm pattern in whatever sequencer et al you have... :)

• @wdrpgwd said: Steve, I didn't mean to sound like I did. I just happen to run into a lot of pathetic people (mainly kids) who have stolen these fine programs.

Do either of you have any samples of your work? I'd love to hear some samples. What other Vst's/synth's do you use?

You didn't sound bad and yes I understand, lots of crackers using sequencers and whatnot. Sadly I don't have any music to share, seem to spend my whole life trying to learn how to use these applications and never getting anywhere. I'm running logic with a duet (which is giving me interference issues) off a macbook pro. I'm a guitarist so this might explain why I struggle with all the modern computer stuff lol. Vsts I have are bfd2, komplete5, stylus rms, logic 8 pro, ableton live 6 and I just grabbed the psp nitro for 10$ deal from audiomidi.com.. nice! (hope I use it). I have 6 very nice guitars, some nice mics and there is no excuse now!! Just get lazy..

• I like this music, especially the steelpans.

• @Silverwolfpet said: Very nice musical piece. I would really like to know how to add rhythm to my compositions. I just don't have the ear for it... I can dance on rhythm, play on rhythm...but I can't do "drums in background". Weird, huh?

Yes, Silver. Using loops is cheating. :) I know a few people who disagree but they themselves are not musicians. Percussion is the hardest part for me. All I can tell you is to 1. Read about time signatures and learn them. 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 5/4 and 7/4 are basic starting points that can help you recognize rythem. 2. Listen to many types of songs in the style of rythm you are attempting to compose to. It will help your creativity a ton. Thats about all I can tell you for now.

Steve, You have BFD2!. I really want to get it. How is it in your opinion?

• That sounded awesome :) well done!

• I love it! CMI style!

And I have to admit that this is better than the original one, I'm not joking.

• Good song. But I got more of a CMI feeling, from like Blood Island when he's at the beach. I'm considering making a song as well. I've been into music for a long time but each time I try to compose something I just put it aside because I don't feel it's good enough. My dad uses Sonar, Kontakt and Miroslav as well so I'm aware of the power of them!

• @AndywinXp said: I love it! CMI style!

And I have to admit that this is better than the original one, I'm not joking.

What do you mean "original"? It dosn't really match another song besides maybe Plunder Island. But just a little. Or did you mean the 20 seconds of what was there before on Flotsam? Either way, Thanks for the compliment! lol

Magwill, if you need any help, I'm here. I can send you some midi's over of what I wrote so it can give you a little idea of how to get going. I don't know.

• @wdrpgwd said: What do you mean "original"? It dosn't really match another song besides maybe Plunder Island. But just a little. Or did you mean the 20 seconds of what was there before on Flotsam? Either way, Thanks for the compliment! lol

Magwill, if you need any help, I'm here. I can send you some midi's over of what I wrote so it can give you a little idea of how to get going. I don't know.

That would be awesome :) It would be cool to know what instruments are being used. I especially love the bassoon in for example Scumm Bar in EMI. It would also be interesting to know how you think when you compose something that is supposed to sound a bit like another piece, but not give a feeling of a carbon copy. From trying out a bit on my guitar I know that it works nice to play only a few notes of a familiar melody, to proceed with your own stuff. However I usually get into more depressing medieval melodies :/

I guess the key is to think of all the instruments together when composing. I sit there with my guitar and get angry when it doesn't come out perfect I guess... I've been trying to learn how to play the piano (got a simple MidiStart-2 with velocity sensitive keys) but it's so hard when you are used to playing guitar where there is always a link between what your left hand does and what your right one does!

Add Comment