User Avatar Image

Telltalegames vs Steam? Purchase

posted by Onkel on - last edited - Viewed by 353 users

As a swede or european customer, what are the pro's and con's with ordering Tales of Monkey Island complete pack from telltalegames vs steam?
I bought it from this site today.
Based on my calculations it's cheaper on telltale
$34.99 (274 SEK) vs 32.99€ (364 SEK or $46,49)

And download speed is faster on Steam.

On steam you doesn't get the DVD edition?
Is each episode released at the same time?

This is just confusing.

24 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Onkel said: As a swede or european customer, what are the pro's and con's with ordering Tales of Monkey Island complete pack from telltalegames vs steam?
    I bought it from this site today.
    Based on my calculations it's cheaper on telltale

On steam you doesn't get the DVD edition?
    Is each episode released at the same time?

This is just confusing.

Each site will tell you what you get with them, dude. If I remember correctly, the Steam version will come with a free Episode 1 of Wallace & Gromit. The Telltale version is a free episode of your choice, of any game. The Telltale version will allow you to get a DVD at the end for the price of shipping. Those of us who pre-ordered in time also get a special edition DVD slipcase.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@TheMandingo said: The Telltale version is a free episode of your choice, of any game.

I think that's not the case anymore. After release there was a note in the store that it is a limited offer for one week. Now this note has disappeared.

• @TheMandingo said: Each site will tell you what you get with them, dude. If I remember correctly, the Steam version will come with a free Episode 1 of Wallace & Gromit. The Telltale version is a free episode of your choice, of any game. The Telltale version will allow you to get a DVD at the end for the price of shipping. Those of us who pre-ordered in time also get a special edition DVD slipcase.

I think Telltale is also cheaper since Steam usually is 1$ == 1€ while TTG does a proper currency conversion!

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@werpu said: I think Telltale is also cheaper since Steam usually is 1$ == 1€ while TTG does a proper currency conversion!

Actually it is not TTG that does the conversion. They just bill in $, although the W&G Full Season page is the only place i've seen stating that explicitly.
    I just pay via paypal and they convert it using something close to the current $ exchange rate.

• The free episode offer has also ended on steam, so there is no free episode for either purchase method. I recommend buying it from TTG instead of steam. The cheaper price and option for getting the DVD later are a much better offer than faster download speeds.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@Shmeh said: The cheaper price and option for getting the DVD later are a much better offer than faster download speeds.

What are the download speeds on Steam and TTG in your cases?
    I had no problems yet, but my connection has just ~5 Mbit/s anyway.

• @DjNDB said: What are the download speeds on Steam and TTG in your cases?
    I had no problems yet, but my connection has just ~5 Mbit/s anyway.

I was basing my comment on the price and download speed on the OP.

@DjNDB said: Based on my calculations it's cheaper on telltale

• I've got 16mbit (in Germany) and both Steam and Telltale used it about 75%. Anyway, TTG has the better price and no dependency on the steam client, so what's to think about? Even if there was a significant difference in download speed, we're talking about 200MB here, not 5GB.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@hansschmucker said: I've got 16mbit (in Germany) and both Steam and Telltale used it about 75%. Anyway, TTG has the better price and no dependency on the steam client, so what's to think about? Even if there was a significant difference in download speed, we're talking about 200MB here, not 5GB.

Thanks, I think so too. Furthermore it's only once per month.

• I always buy from TTG because I love getting the dvds at the end of the season, plus they make more money from direct sales than through Steam.

Add Comment