User Avatar Image

Works in Linux/wine

posted by mizar on - last edited - Viewed by 403 users

I've been able to have it installed and working in Linux without too much hassle, as with any game under wine, different distributions/versions/machines/game graphic setup may or not

I posted how I did in this thread but as title is a bit 'missleading' I'll copy my findings here with a better target title in case anyone is looking for it

I pulled out a laptop where I had some old wine (1.1.1) on Debian and it works prety ok so far (I have not properly setup audion in that comp so I can't tell about sound), mouse controls ok, keyboard ok, quality maxed (9)

All I had to do was:

- run the installer in wine
- uncheck 'check for DX updates'
- get a copy of the file D3DX9_41.dll (you have one in any windows install of the game in the game's folde) and copy into wine's game's folder
- (I didn't launch game nor made a Desktop shortcut in the end)
- run the game in wine (MonkeyIsland101)
- when launcher pops up may be messed up (it was for me, all blank but an edit box to type the serial number in)
- type the serial number (from TT's your games page) (you need a working internet connection set up in Linux for it to work)
- wait some seconds, if launcher is blank (as it happened to me) kill/close the window
- run the game again in wine
- instead of the serial number input edit box you will get an hypertext link to start the game, click it and game will run

happy gaming

31 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Wine version 1.1.23 works too (entering the code and all), so something has changed in wine very recently.

• I have got the game up and running with the latest development version of wine, but I get some graphical errors on some of the text. I think I have had similar problems with this in windows before, so it is probably my graphics card which is a ATI Mobility Readon X1400.

Here are two images describing the error:
    monkeykpa.jpgmonkey2k.jpg

Does anyone have any tips on how I can fix this?

• @Exore said: I have got the game up and running with the latest development version of wine, but I get some graphical errors on some of the text. I think I have had similar problems with this in windows before, so it is probably my graphics card which is a ATI Mobility Readon X1400.

Here are two images describing the error:
    monkeykpa.jpgmonkey2k.jpg

Does anyone have any tips on how I can fix this?

Just throwing out a guess.. that could have something to do with font rendering, if the credits and menu text aren't stored as graphics.

• I finally got this running in wine (1.1.25) but I can't break free of 1024.x768. :( Also, I get the font problems shown in the screenshots above, but not everytime. Also, if I start a new game and come back to the menu they clear up. Any idea how to get to 1680x1050?

• I tried relentlessly with 1.0.1 and 1.1.25, but although it did start, it would crash when i changed resolution. So I was stuck as well.

I tried to install into vmware and use their directx 9 emulation but at 1920x1200 on a Geforce 7600 GT, the framerate was terrible on my box (Q6600). I also tried the Codeweavers crossover thingie but that didn't even start the game.

So I'm posting this from Windows 7 while downloading the installer :eek: It's the first time I've installed windows on my workstation in 6 years, but I had no choice :(

Here's to hoping that this bug gets fixed soon; although i'm not really sure if its related, there's someone in this thread posting the exact same problem: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/332100

• I just completed the whole game running under Wine 1.01

Sound worked best with the OSS drivers configured under Wine.

Graphics worked fine with the Nvidia proprietary linux drivers (latest) on my 8600GTM, I ran at quality 9 / 1280x800. (my processor is a core 2 duo 2Ghz)

Had some problems at first with the graphics/resolution. It seems to work best with the same resolution as your desktop is running under.

If you enabled a virtual desktop in Wine, note that you are limited in the resolutions you can pick in-game. (ie. a 1024x768 virtual desktop will limit you to that resolution and under i believe)

• @Mathijs said: I just completed the whole game running under Wine 1.01

Sound worked best with the OSS drivers configured under Wine.

Graphics worked fine with the Nvidia proprietary linux drivers (latest) on my 8600GTM, I ran at quality 9 / 1280x800. (my processor is a core 2 duo 2Ghz)

Had some problems at first with the graphics/resolution. It seems to work best with the same resolution as your desktop is running under.

If you enabled a virtual desktop in Wine, note that you are limited in the resolutions you can pick in-game. (ie. a 1024x768 virtual desktop will limit you to that resolution and under i believe)

Please, post your winecfg file

Thanks.
    Amse.

• Could anyone who can run the game in a resolution different from the default post their HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Telltale Games\Monkey Island Season 1 entries? Just run regedit, browse there, Registry, Export to File... and that's all. All private information is in other registry keys, so as long as you only export that one, you'll be perfectly safe.

Unfortunately changing the resolution within the game still results in a crash for me, even with virtual desktop enabled on Wine. I used to have the same issue with Overclocked until I copied a configuration file from a Windows machine where the resolution was set higher, and then the game would just work with the new resolution. I guess I'll try this with this game if nobody posts their registry info.

Cheers.

• Here you go:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Telltale Games\Monkey Island Season 1]
    \"Enable Subtitles\"=dword:00000001
    \"Windowed\"=dword:00000001
    \"Fullscreen Size\"=\"1440 x 900\"
    \"Hint Level\"=hex:00,00,80,40
    \"Render Quality\"=hex:00,00,00,41

• @hansschmucker said: Here you go:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

Thanks! For some reason importing this didn't have any effect on the game's resolution. I was able to work it around, though:

1) I had to first downgrade Wine to 1.1.21, where resolution switching works,
    2) I changed the resolution from the game settings to my screen's native resolution,
    3) I upgraded Wine back to 1.1.25.

The registry keys are still the same as before, but now the game works in the desired resolution. Go figure.

I'll try to find some time to pin the regression in Wine's resolution changing code.

Add Comment