User Avatar Image

Whats your take on ending message of MI:SE?

posted by Everlast on - last edited - Viewed by 734 users

So guys whats your take on the ending message. To me it sounds theres more games to come about Monkey Island! And that the possibility is open for MI2 to be remade!

74 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I doubt any of the older devs would go back there. Most of them have their own companies now don't they? Does Ron Gilbert own Hothead Games?

• @MusicallyInspired said: I doubt any of the older devs would go back there. Most of them have their own companies now don't they? Does Ron Gilbert own Hothead Games?

I'd be surprised if old employees returned, but there are surely non-famous names they could hire.

I don't know about Ron but I think he only works for Hothead. Don't hold me to that though.

• @MusicallyInspired said: And I don't really trust LA to release new adventure games at this point.....I don't believe there's a single soul that works there currently who has any experience in the field at all. Thus, I'd rather they keep making special editions until they do.

That sums up my feelings, they've been sucking the scaly Star Wars shlong for too long to be trusted just yet.

• I'm absolutely sure there will be a MI2 SE. Mainly because I guess MI1 SE will be a considerable success, financial-wise. Take a look at the credits - most of the drawings were done in asian countries so I think the cost of that was very manageable. The whole audio thing, voices as well as music, is probably a bit more expensive. Still, I wouldn't even be surprised if they were already in the profit zone.

Also, I think it won't be too long until they release MI2 SE. I'd be surprised if it wasn't already being worked on. Plus, MI1SE was released shortly after they announced it, too.. so my guess is they'll release it in 2-3 months. People are addicted and craving for more now, why let them lose interest in MI again when you could have their money in 2-3 month anyway? :P

• Here's something I've been wondering about.

A lot of people have wanted LucasArts to go back to adventure games, and I understand that. However, a lot of their adventure staff either went with Double Fine or Telltale. Do they have enough credible employees with adventure game experience to bring back the genre, or would it be a pale imitation of their previous works?

Edit: Eh, sorry. It's already discussed above, but I didn't feel like reading the rest of the topic before posting.

• I'm sick of people writing off LucasArts chances of making new adventure games simply because the people currently working for them have little or no experience (that you know of anyway). How are they going to get the experience you want them to have without being 'allowed' to try and make adventure games?

I wonder what the experience level of the developers at Lucasfilm Games was when it was founded, and the adventure games of the '80s or when it became LucasArts at the start of the 'golden era' of adventure games at the start of the 1990s. I mean, take Ron Gilbert. His first fully released game was Maniac Mansion, a game which I feel started the golden era so fondly remembered. So experience doesn't mean everything.

• I agree.... who is to say they currently do not have the next "Ron Gilbert" in their employ...

• I wasn't saying that it would be impossible. The thing is, with video games you only get so many chances to make a good product. The people may not have had experience working on adventure games when they started, but they proved their worth right away. But they weren't just well designed games, they had a nice, quirky sense of humor, and I can't imagine playing an adventure game that has good puzzles but dry dialog and setting. That, and I assumed that the people who worked on adventure games had played adventure games from other companies, but they've been out of vogue for awhile, and depending on the new people's gaming history, they might not know what makes an adventure game good.

• @Ignatius said: But a full wave of SE, while new games could be done with the same money and human effort, thats what i dont like..

You really think its as easy to do completely new game where you basicly have to do everything from scratch... story, characters, locations, music etc etc? Compared to special edition where you "only" need to redo graphics, record voices and music and thats pretty much it.

It takes lot less effort to make these special editions than completely new games, and the the price tells it too. I want more of these special editions with low prices!

• @Austin P said: and I can't imagine playing an adventure game that has good puzzles but dry dialog and setting.

I can. In fact, several are listed amongst my favorites.

Add Comment