User Avatar Image

What's your theory about the ending of Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge?

posted by pilouuuu on - last edited - Viewed by 9.6K users

Here is mine (obviously full of spoilers about the game):

I think that all anachronisms like cereal boxes, Grog machines, etc are there just for fun as well as the fourth wall breaking stuff like "pirates talked like that" and the Lucasarts phone in the jungle. An amusement park is perfectly normal in a world like this.

My theory is that Big Whoop is a portal. Maybe it travels to different times. Maybe Guybrush went back in time to when he was in his childhood and his parents were alive. That's why his parents wear pirate clothes. Big Whoop is like a time machine.

Maybe LeChuck is really his older brother which went bad when Guybrush was just a baby and left just to become a pirate. His parents never told the truth to Guybrush.

Le Chuck's plan in to go back using the Big Whoop and kill Guybrush while he is a child. After that maybe prevent himself from dying?

Just my theory. I don't believe that "all is a dream" rubbish. It would simply suck in something as brilliant as Monkey Island.

Guybrush and Lechuck are brothers. Le Chuck cast a spell on Guybrush to confuse him. Big Whoop creates a portal to another time when Guybrush was a kid.

252 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think Guybrush is in the matrix the whole time.

• I like the theory that everything was an illusion, because if it wasn't then Curse, Escape and Tales wouldn't exist.

• @Gibbeynator said: I like the theory that everything was an illusion, because if it wasn't then Curse, Escape and Tales wouldn't exist.

Hey, what do you have against Curse and especially Tales? Would you like more if there were no more Monkey Island games? :-S

• My theory is that it was an illusion. Once you crash into the tunnels, you HAVE to turn on the light, you HAVE to pick up the E-Ticket, in an odd way, these seems like little traps to guide Guybrush into doing things exactly as LeChuck planned. As for the faulty VooDoo doll, surely LeChuck of all people (remember, this is MI2 LeChuck, Scary, Evil, so on) would just throw the doll away after it didn't work and then proceed to rip Guybrush to shreads. Instead we're forced to create this Voodoo where this tunnel mysteriouslly has all the items we need, including the skeletons of our Dead Parents, etc. It's like LeChuck is testing Guybrush to see if he'll go through with it, when he finds out he does, he then throws the illusion into Full Throttle (hehe) to try and trap Guybrush at Big Whoop, hoping that it would last, whilst he goes after Elaine.

Of course, Guybrush being smart breaks the curse, comes back to reality and escapes from Big Whoop to drift off to Plunder Island and so the adventure continues.

• Or maybe... You know when LeChuck was going to stab the voodoo doll, he was going to send Guybrush to an alternative dimention of eternal pain and suffering, but instead Guybrush just got sent to the next room? Maybe he did get sent to the alternative dimention, he just don't think so, and everything after the first stab is not a part of the "regular" dimention, but the dimention of suffering. Guybrush trapped in a modern age world, knowing he is a pirate, even though everyone else thinks he's just a little boy, with his evil voodoo big brother Chuckie to torture him some more when his parents aren't watching (Guybrush can tell his parents about Chuckie's voodoo powers all he wants, his parents will just think he's fantasizing). It got to be like hell for Guybrush...

If this is the case, LeChuck doesn't need to be Guybrush's brother, since the parent skeletons is just a part of the messed up alternative dimention.

So guybrush basically ends up in another dimension -ours.
    Hmm.
    What if this famous "ron gilbert approved MI3" was actually supposed to be set in the present world :eek: ?

• Nah, I don't think Guybrush ends up in our dimention. Because after the first stab, he's still in a world with a zombie with a voodoo doll, and Chuckie's eyes still glow in the end. I'm thinking more in the direction of a dimention that isn't bound by the laws of nature, where the world turns out to be the way it is because Guybrush doesn't want it to be so. If another person got sent to the same dimention, he would probably experience a whole other world than Guybrush.

Ash735: I liked the theory of the whole underground tunnels-thing being a trap, where everything is put there because LeChuck wants you to do it. Probably some kind of illusion. The question is what kind of illusion, and where it starts.

• @pilouuuu said: Hey, what do you have against Curse and especially Tales? Would you like more if there were no more Monkey Island games? :-S

Just saying that Curse and everything beyond Curse revolves around Guybrush being brainwashed into thinking he was a child. If it was all just in his head, which is what it seems like it was going to be if Ron worked on Monkey Island 3, then we wouldn't HAVE Curse, Escape and especially Tales. Essentially the entire franchise as we know and love it wouldn't exist, and we wouldn't be here talking about what happened at the end of LeChuck's Revenge.

• Pfft, Big Whoop is a gateway to Heck. It's a tear in the middle of the Carribean, sort of a Bermuda Triangle. Unfortunatly, a thing like that leaks a little from different times and dimentions, so we get some strange stuff here and there. The Voodoo Lady probably knows and so does LeChuck I guess. Whatever happened in the end of LCR? LeChuck used the power of Big Whoop to mess with Guybrush somehow. It doesn't matter, sinse Guybrush does snap out of it eventually.

• Look,

Its obvious it wasnt all in Guybrush's imagination, you see Chuckies eyes at the end, this is telling you that Chuckie is not just a kid, also there would be no reason to add the clip of Elaine at the end if it didn't have any meaning and also saying it was all a kids imagination, is a cheat ending its just like saying it was all a dream which is a big no no in writting.

• @prizna said: Look,

Its obvious it wasnt all in Guybrush's imagination, you see Chuckies eyes at the end, this is telling you that Chuckie is not just a kid, also there would be no reason to add the clip of Elaine at the end if it didn't have any meaning and also saying it was all a kids imagination, is a cheat ending its just like saying it was all a dream which is a big no no in writting.

Yes, Ron Gilbert must clarify it all someday. But I'm pretty sure the "all was a dream" would be complete rubbish. I place my bets at the "spell" that Elaine mentions and something about the Big Whoop.

Add Comment