User Avatar Image

What's your theory about the ending of Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge?

posted by pilouuuu on - last edited - Viewed by 6.8K users

Here is mine (obviously full of spoilers about the game):

I think that all anachronisms like cereal boxes, Grog machines, etc are there just for fun as well as the fourth wall breaking stuff like "pirates talked like that" and the Lucasarts phone in the jungle. An amusement park is perfectly normal in a world like this.

My theory is that Big Whoop is a portal. Maybe it travels to different times. Maybe Guybrush went back in time to when he was in his childhood and his parents were alive. That's why his parents wear pirate clothes. Big Whoop is like a time machine.

Maybe LeChuck is really his older brother which went bad when Guybrush was just a baby and left just to become a pirate. His parents never told the truth to Guybrush.

Le Chuck's plan in to go back using the Big Whoop and kill Guybrush while he is a child. After that maybe prevent himself from dying?

Just my theory. I don't believe that "all is a dream" rubbish. It would simply suck in something as brilliant as Monkey Island.

Guybrush and Lechuck are brothers. Le Chuck cast a spell on Guybrush to confuse him. Big Whoop creates a portal to another time when Guybrush was a kid.

252 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @pilouuuu said: Yes, Ron Gilbert must clarify it all someday. But I'm pretty sure the "all was a dream" would be complete rubbish. I place my bets at the "spell" that Elaine mentions and something about the Big Whoop.

Thats just what i meant it would be stupid to end on "it was all a dream" kind of ending. I think it was a spell.

• @CaptnDan said: Young Guybrush gets lost in a theme park, and his imagination runs wild. After a ride on Pirates of the Caribbean, he starts his own journey to become a Mighty Pirate. Distressed, his parents send his brother Chucky to find their missing son. In Guybrush's mind, Chucky became the evil pirate LeChuck, determined to destroy him. Elements of the real world seep into Guybrush's (vending machines, telephones etc.) , but it's not until their final confrontation, in the maintenance tunnels linking the different areas of the park, does Guybrush get the wake-up call he really needs....

I believe this is the secret. it makes perfect sense going through the entire first two games even from the opening seconds. guybrush just walks in from nowhere...from where? he's a boy who just wandered off of POTC. you even hear the sword fighting pirates on the trail straight up tell you: "it's pirate speak! it's how they talked back then. c'mon guybrush play along!" the staff only door, the maintenance tunnels, all the novelty items, signs and t-shirts, the way he talks, grog machine from MI1 down in storage in MI2, the health clinic, it's all obviously amusement park stuff going through his imagination. i think it's a beautiful plot line in that it totally changes the tone of the first game too, and doesn't ruin the tale at all. it's like the end of 6th sense or something. you realize what you thought were just silly anachronisms were actually reality. simply brilliant.

though the idea that it's a curse or time machine works well to allow for sequels, but i'm not sure that is real canon. it could be, but it can't be that simple, for all of the evidence listed above. i hope ron gilbert clears it all up one day and makes the true MI3. i fear that it's just too screwed up now for that to happen.

• @RockNRoll said: I believe this is the secret. it makes perfect sense going through the entire first two games even from the opening seconds. guybrush just walks in from nowhere...from where? he's a boy who just wandered off of POTC. you even hear the sword fighting pirates on the trail straight up tell you: "it's pirate speak! it's how they talked back then. c'mon guybrush play along!" the staff only door, the maintenance tunnels, all the novelty items, signs and t-shirts, the way he talks, grog machine from MI1 down in storage in MI2, the health clinic, it's all obviously amusement park stuff going through his imagination. i think it's a beautiful plot line in that it totally changes the tone of the first game too, and doesn't ruin the tale at all. it's like the end of 6th sense or something. you realize what you thought were just silly anachronisms were actually reality. simply brilliant.

though the idea that it's a curse or time machine works well to allow for sequels, but i'm not sure that is real canon. it could be, but it can't be that simple, for all of the evidence listed above. i hope ron gilbert clears it all up one day and makes the true MI3. i fear that it's just too screwed up now for that to happen.

If you belive its his imagination, what is your explination for chuckies eyes glowing, Elaine at the end of the game and the fact that he is not a kid in Curse of Monkey island.

• @prizna said: If you belive its his imagination, what is your explination for chuckies eyes glowing, Elaine at the end of the game and the fact that he is not a kid in Curse of Monkey island.

Curse doesn't count, at least in this discussion. Whatever the ending was INTENDED to mean, it wasn't communicated to those stuck with explaining it away in Curse.

Why did his eyes glow? It could be anything. For example, being a throw-away "Haha, the evil brother has won" and Guybrush's imagination lingering one more time.

Elaine's line could be interpreted many ways as well. The curse simply being "having to go home and leave his magical fantasy world".

I don't know what the intended meaning is, but I don't think that the whole amusement park idea was to be tossed away. I'm sure that the park was at least SOMEWHAT real. I think a lot of people balk at the idea that Guybrush could possibly be a kid because it "ruins" their interpretation of the character and his world. And I think some people attach to the world and don't feel like being dragged back to a boring reality along with their favorite oddly-named pirate.

• @PariahKing said: My theory is the explanation at the end of CMI, because it's canon and accepted in the game's storyline. What Ron would have or wouldn't have done isn't relevant until if and when he makes his game.

PK, I agree with you completely, as usual.

• @prizna said: If you belive its his imagination, what is your explination for chuckies eyes glowing, Elaine at the end of the game and the fact that he is not a kid in Curse of Monkey island.

Maybe just to mess with the viewer and definitely to leave things open to a sequel. Maybe Elaine was a little girl like guybrush who was also wrapped up in the fantasy, and she's left still imagining. Maybe the Ron Gilbert-planned sequel involved Guybrush going back into dreamland to get her. Who knows? Whatever the case, I am almost totally convinced that the amusement park is true on at least some significant level and was intended from the start of the series. How else would everything and every anachronism going back to the first moments of MI1 fit so perfectly? It's way beyond coincidence. Now, Gilbert said that there was more to it, and that no one has completely solved it, so I'm sure there is more to it on some level.

Oh one huge thing I forgot to mention: if you remember way back to the first game, talking to the voodoo lady before going to Monkey Island, she says something like "be careful! you will learn things about yourself and your world that will shake you to your core" but nothing like that ever really happened in MI1. It's obvious foreshadowing of the end of MI2, and fits perfectly with the fantasy idea. Whatever the case, there is definitely something going on with the pirate world that guybrush walks into, that's not what we assume at the beginning.

• I know that the ending of LR could be taken so many different ways, but i believe that the glowing eyes and elaines line were there to tell you he is under some kind of spell. I just see it that if it was all in his imagination, it is kind of a cheat ending. This is just my opinion i know others may like this idea. I guess there is very little chance that we will ever find out what was actually meant to follow the ending of LR.

• If you belive its his imagination, what is your explination for chuckies eyes glowing, Elaine at the end of the game and the fact that he is not a kid in Curse of Monkey island.

Well, it could STILL be imagniation.
    Look at calvin and hobbes for instance, even when we see in the final panels what's actually going on, calvin is still in his world and convinced he's a T-Rex or whatever.
    Could very possibly be the same with guybrush, he's been disturbed in his fantasy, but somehow keeps thinking his brother is evil and that Elaine is waiting for him somewhere.

• @Astro Gnocci said: Well, it could STILL be imagniation.
    Look at calvin and hobbes for instance, even when we see in the final panels what's actually going on, calvin is still in his world and convinced he's a T-Rex or whatever.
    Could very possibly be the same with guybrush, he's been disturbed in his fantasy, but somehow keeps thinking his brother is evil and that Elaine is waiting for him somewhere.

I just think, because Chuckie is actually breaking the forth wall by looking at the screen when his eyes glow, because he looked at the screen i see it as being intended for the gamer, guybrush didnt see chuckies eyes glow so i dont think it is him still imagining.

• I just think, because Chuckie is actually breaking the forth wall by looking at the screen when his eyes glow, because he looked at the screen i see it as being intended for the gamer, guybrush didnt see chuckies eyes glow so i dont think it is him still imagining.

Well i don't know it this theory is right or not, and i don't care so much, but still.
    Yeah, these are mostly nods to the player, but they can pretty well be there just to tell you that guybrush hasn't quite stopped daydreaming yet.
    After all, the player is supposed to kind of "be" guybrush when playing the game. So it could still be a way to tell you there's still stuff going on in his/your head.

Add Comment