Here's some awesome bug i can reliably reproduce on my System.
EDIT 1: Just after writing this it now works even with the active internet connection. I'll look into it. Just sad i can't debug it now.
EDIT 2: Some moments later it went back to it's buggy behavior. I made a video this time and will upload and link it here.
EDIT 3 The video demonstration is online now.
The Wallace and Gromit demo crashes on startup unless i disconnect from the internet.
I know it sounds crazy, but I tried it a bunch of times in each situation to make sure the internet connection really is responsible for the bug.
The crash is not just the application process disappearing like in several other cases. It throws an error message. In German it is "WalaceGromitDemo funktioniert nicht mehr". I don't know exactly how the English one is, but it translates to something like "WalaceGromitDemo has stopped working" which I read in a different thread.
At first i just deactivated the network interface in Windows and tested the game several times.
I wasn't sure why it helped, therefore for the next test I disconnected my Internet connection in my router with the same result.
But now it get's really strange. The demo worked before i installed my new graphics card, a Radeon 4850. I have not reinstalled the game since then, therefore data corruption is very unlikely. However i don't know what else has changed softwarewies. It's been a time I played the demo, and since then there were several windows update cycles.
I would try what happens when I reinstall the Nvidia 7600 GT again, but i don't want to change anything big now to keep the bug reproducable.
AS you can see i am more interested in debugging than getting it running, therefore i am not looking for support in this case.
My guess the game tries to connect to telltale, and gets an invalid response of some kind, which causes a buffer overflow which crashes the game.
Maybe something similar is the cause for some of the other startup crashes we see in this forum.
If i am in a good mood i'll check what is transfered before and during the crash with wireshark.
I hope we can figure this out.
For now I'll attach my zipped DxDiag.txt. If you could use any other information for debugging, just ask.
I am confident i can handle it.