User Avatar Image

What's your theory about the ending of Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge?

posted by pilouuuu on - last edited - Viewed by 9.1K users

Here is mine (obviously full of spoilers about the game):

I think that all anachronisms like cereal boxes, Grog machines, etc are there just for fun as well as the fourth wall breaking stuff like "pirates talked like that" and the Lucasarts phone in the jungle. An amusement park is perfectly normal in a world like this.

My theory is that Big Whoop is a portal. Maybe it travels to different times. Maybe Guybrush went back in time to when he was in his childhood and his parents were alive. That's why his parents wear pirate clothes. Big Whoop is like a time machine.

Maybe LeChuck is really his older brother which went bad when Guybrush was just a baby and left just to become a pirate. His parents never told the truth to Guybrush.

Le Chuck's plan in to go back using the Big Whoop and kill Guybrush while he is a child. After that maybe prevent himself from dying?

Just my theory. I don't believe that "all is a dream" rubbish. It would simply suck in something as brilliant as Monkey Island.

Guybrush and Lechuck are brothers. Le Chuck cast a spell on Guybrush to confuse him. Big Whoop creates a portal to another time when Guybrush was a kid.

252 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • "I came all this way to see you.... at least get me a beer!"

I saw that somewhere... where does it come from ?
    (BEER!)

• @turingmachine604 said: Uhmm, that's not entirely true. You do have a death scene in Curse. That's what the Voodoo lady saw. Plus, you already know to take whatever the Voodoo Lady says with a grain of salt as she likes to lie and exaggerate the role she played in things (like killing LeChuck).

Pretending to die and actually dying are two very different things.

• @Astro Gnocci said: I saw that somewhere... where does it come from ?
    (BEER!)

It's a dialog option from Guybrush, when he tries to coax the map piece from Elaine in MI2. :D

• wow... guess it's REALLY time i play MI2 again... thanks ;)

• @turingmachine604 said: Game series should always have an end in sight...

I hear the end of the Mario series will be in 2167. Seriously though, what a silly thing to say. We're talking about video games which are, by definition, really crazy when it comes to plot. But we are video gamers who, by definition, don't care. If we did care about plot, Final Fantasy would never be a big enough seller to exist. (Also, Crono Trigger and Cross)

Adventure games are a little different as they're supposed to tell a story, but as long as I know my objectives and get some gut busting laughs out of it, I'm okay with it.

Off subject I know, but just something I wanted to put out there.

• well i just finished it and after the credits elaine says "i hope leChuck didnt put a curse on him. so i think LeChuck cursed Guybrush and eventually it wore off any Guybrush goes back to being a mighty pirate. but i havent played the Curse in awhile so i dont remember what explanation is given.

• Best theory I've ever read about Monkey Island (I think it was on this forum) was basically that Guybrush was a failed writer who fell into a coma. His brother, Chuckie, stole his girlfriend from him so in his mind he convinces himself that LeChuck's evil. And his favorite ride as a kid was Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean" so pirates became the main subject of his book and, consequently, his fantasies.

So everytime his mind came closer to the truth, he manages to convince himself otherwise. I like this theory because it explains his skeletal parents (they're dead and he's older), LeChuck and Chuckie's obsession with Elaine, and Guybrush's seemingly adult mind. And it can work with the proceeding games as well.

• @PariahKing said: As for the voodoo lady she is proved to be fallible in Curse - "you will die" - so I think that's a DECENT explanation but it's not seamless.

I think that's weak. First off, you're equating Curse-era voodoo lady to pre-Curse which is invalid. Also she was clearly RIGHT about the death, in that you faked your death. That was the whole point. She said in MI1 that you'd learn the world guybrush lives in is not as it seems, and he doesn't even know who he truly is. that was put in there for a reason, and it comes true at MI2. you can't just say "oh well she's wrong sometimes" all the prophesies she's PROGRAMMED to say obviously have a reason to them.

• @PariahKing said: Pretending to die and actually dying are two very different things.

He was legally declared dead.

• @RockNRoll said: I think that's weak. First off, you're equating Curse-era voodoo lady to pre-Curse which is invalid. Also she was clearly RIGHT about the death, in that you faked your death. That was the whole point. She said in MI1 that you'd learn the world guybrush lives in is not as it seems, and he doesn't even know who he truly is. that was put in there for a reason, and it comes true at MI2. you can't just say "oh well she's wrong sometimes" all the prophesies she's PROGRAMMED to say obviously have a reason to them.

Context, context and context. @RockNRoll said: My theory is the explanation at the end of CMI, because it's canon and accepted in the game's storyline. What Ron would have or wouldn't have done isn't relevant until if and when he makes his game.The thing you're quoting is referring to in your quote is related to that. I am well aware Gilbert was not involved in CMI.

Add Comment