User Avatar Image

1280 x 1024?

posted by Crid on - last edited - Viewed by 2.2K users

Sam & Max graphics resolutions only seem to go up to 1280 x 960. Is there any way to go up to 1280 x 1024?

79 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Better resolution independence is on the to-do list. Widescreen is tough when you build environments and in-engine cutscenes that are all framed to be shot at a 4:3 aspect ratio. When you widen the view, suddenly things are showing on the edges that you don't want to be there! (for instance the edge of an environment, or a character who isn't on screen yet) It will take some mucking before this happens properly - maybe not by the end of Sam & Max season one - but we all want to see widescreen support and better resolution independence as much as you guys, I promise. Hopefully whatever's next from TTG can be presented Now in Widescreen or something like that :).

  • Thanks for the info! It's great having you guys on the forums.

    I have a Widescreen monitor. I don't mind things being non-widescreen - I understand that widescreen is still a minority and when it comes to cutscenes filmed for 4:3 there are serious issues. I'm fine with 4:3. That said, I do like things to not have to be stretched, and being a use of an Nvidia card, I have the "can't go about 1024x768" bug. I'm sure you folks are aware of it - hopefully there is something you can do!

  • User Avatar Image
    OMA

    @Jake said: Better resolution independence is on the to-do list. Widescreen is tough when you build environments and in-engine cutscenes that are all framed to be shot at a 4:3 aspect ratio. When you widen the view, suddenly things are showing on the edges that you don't want to be there! (for instance the edge of an environment, or a character who isn't on screen yet)

    I see, but maybe an option to "zoom" the screen could be added, so it takes all the width of the widescreen screen, but some of the image at the top and bottom is cut (like the "pan&scan" option of some TVs). To avoid hotspots from being offscreen and thus unreachable by the user, a vertical scroll could be added so the entire screen would scroll when moving the pointer to the top or bottom part of the screen. I think this should be easy to do. Just an idea ;)

  • Er to be honest I'd much rather play the game with black bars on the side than to have to pan and scan my way around a zoomed in image.

    It's not like we don't know widescreen monitors exist, (we even have some in the office!) widescreen support just adds a lot of work in that wasn't planned into the schedule when we started with the season, so "dropping it in" mid-stride would be surprisingly painful for a few people on staff. It's always under consideration, and you may be surprised by a checkbox appearing in the options at some point, but please don't hold your breath.

  • @Jake said: Er to be honest I'd much rather play the game with black bars on the side than to have to pan and scan my way around a zoomed in image.

    It's not like we don't know widescreen monitors exist, (we even have some in the office!) widescreen support just adds a lot of work in that wasn't planned into the schedule when we started with the season, so "dropping it in" mid-stride would be surprisingly painful for a few people on staff. It's always under consideration, and you may be surprised by a checkbox appearing in the options at some point, but please don't hold your breath.

    I posted this in another thread already but I'd like to point out that widescreen LCD monitor sales are really taking off.
    http://www.displaysearch.com/free/paneltrack/#LCD%20Monitor%20Panels
    If the current trend continues then there will be more 19" widescreen monitors sold than regular 19" monitors sold very soon (it's already at almost 20% of total LCD sales). To be fair, this is a fairly new occurrence and didn't really start until this year so game designers haven't really had very long to react. Hopefully *wink wink nudge nudge* ;) once they start realizing just how BIG and how quickly GROWING the penetration of widescreen displays is, they'll start to take widescreen support more seriously.

  • @Chwarg said: Since I got a pretty big screen (Viewsonic VP231wb 23" tft), full HD resolution (1920x1080) would be nice...
    Or even better, to fit the nativ 19:10 res 1920x1200.

    I second that, 1920x1200 would be nice on my Samsung 244T ;)

  • i sure think that every standard resolution should be supported but i have no problem with cutting off a few centimeters off my screen. im quite used that games have a small border on the screen.

    last time i checked tho i had only 1024 as maximum resolution to choose from so i had to scale it up but it still looked fine. i mean hey its sam and max. i waited freaking ten years for it, :D
    nvidia drivers make that easy for all kind of screens, and i once knew a way to get a grip on ati drivers on that widescreen issue too. id have to look it up tho.

  • As far as I know the game supports 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x960, and 1600x1200.

  • @Jake said: As far as I know the game supports 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x960, and 1600x1200.

    If his or her monitor only supports up to 1280x1024 and not 1280x960 (like a 19" LCD) then the largest resolution the game would allow should be 1024x768.

  • That's not always true. Many 1280x1024 LCDs can display a slightly stretched resampled 1280x960 image. But yes I know what you mean, it's clearly not the native resolution for many LCDs and quite a few cant display that slightly smaller resolution.

Add Comment