User Avatar Image

Consolidated "Adventure Games We'd Like to See" thread

posted by Marduk on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

Threads suggesting adventure games we'd like to see TellTale work on are no new thing to the TTG forums but I thought it might be a good idea if we had the one list of titles rather that dozens of threads that have scrolled away. Every few days or so I'll even update the thread with suggestions from those who've replied.

So far they're mostly old Adventure games nostalgic fans would like to see innovated but there are also TV shows, books and movies in there, too.

I might make a poll on this, depending on responses.

I'll begin by CP'ing lists from other such threads' (FYI, I've omitted 'ideas' that TTG should continue various series' they've already began);

[LIST]
[*]Rex the Runt Adventures
[*]Day of the Tentacle
[*]Myst
[*]Indiana Jones
[*]Simon the Sorcerer
[*]The Simpsons
[*]Doctor Who
[*]Gabriel Knight series (I don't know if this is an existing game franchise or a TV series or what).
[*]Pushing Daisies (ig0rpwnwEd; I LOVE YOU!)
[*]Maniac mansion
[*]Grim Fandango
[*]Space Quest
[*]Futurama
[*]Red Dwarf
[*]The Dig
[*]Full Throttle
[*]MacGyver
[*]Family Guy
[*]Doctor Who
[*]King's Quest
[*]Police Quest
[*]Quest For Glory
[*]Loom
[*]Calvin and Hobbes
[*]Star Trek
[*]The Mighty Boosh
[*]Get Smart
[*]'An H.P. Lovecraft based game'
[*]Garfield
[*]Barney Google (Somebody might want to enlighten me, here)
[*]The Boondocks (and here)
[*]Discworld (Yes, yes; oh please god yes!)
[*]Monk
[*]Psych
[*]Laura Bow (and also here)
[*]Simon the Sorceror
[*]A Nuklear Power RPG (?)
[*]Sanford and Son (I've heard of this but never actually seen it)
[*]Leisure Suit Larry
[*]The Neverhood
[*]The Feeble Files
[*]Beneath a steel sky (maybe TTG should just buy Revolution. I can't imagine it'll cost much considering all the cuts they've had to make and it'll be a sure fire way to get a leg in the UK)
[*]Blade Runner
[*]Gateway
[*]Death Gate
[*]Shannara
[*]Blazing Dragons
[*]Digimon (this guy, apparently, was serious)
[*]So Blonde
[*]Kyrandia
[*]Normality
[*]Nightlong
[*]Sanitarium
[*]Stupid Invaders
[*]Ceville
[*]Flight of the Amazon Queen
[*]Still Life
[*]Chewy
[*]The Accolade adventures (I may have got confused, here, the way that MusicallyInspired's post was phrased made me thing it was but I could have been wrong).
[*]Zak McKracken
[*]Gang Garrison (no idea if this is real)
[*]Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman"
[*]Lucifer (Sandman Spinoff)
[*]Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
[*]Dilbert
[/LIST]

120 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • "Verbing" games are in a slightly different category, but I agree if for no other reason than the H2G2 was a part of the Infocom catalog as well.

I'd also like to see a modern point-and-click interpretation of their Bureaucracy text adventure.

• @ShaggE said: I wouldn't write it off. As W&G proved, TT can do the clay look rather well. And while Neverhood wouldn't work with their "three task" puzzle system, they don't *have* to use it.

Yeah, but as much as I love the old style puzzles of Neverhood, I don't see how it would work with Telltale's episodic methods.

@ShaggE said: The only thing I'd be worried about is the music. Terry Taylor can't be replaced. (no offense towards Jared Emerson-Johnson.)

No, he cannot be replaced, that's for sure. First game I ever tapped my toes to while playing.

@ShaggE said: Of course, I'm not exactly the most neutral party on the subject. I'm so desperate for new Neverhood material that I'd buy a blank disc if it had Klaymen's face on it. :p

I heard rumors about a movie being written.

• They're not rumours, it's confirmed, but there hasn't been any news about it for a while.

Skullmonkeys, the sequel to the Neverhood, was a platformer. Why couldn't a hypothetical Neverhood game be character driven? The Neverhood was full of characters after beating the game.

• Maniac Mansion 3D - Basicly a remake with great voice-acting, sexy 3D and lots of crazy humor to give it a more DoTT/S&M feel.

• @Shwoo said: Skullmonkeys, the sequel to the Neverhood, was a platformer.

I was pointing out Terry Taylor's music, not the game.

@Shwoo said: Why couldn't a hypothetical Neverhood game be character driven? The Neverhood was full of characters after beating the game.

Yeah, it would work. Though some changes from the first game would be necessary if it's going to be made into an adventure game.

• @tredlow said: I was pointing out Terry Taylor's music, not the game.

I'm not sure what you mean. The entire part of my post that you quoted was a response to the part of your post where you said that a Neverhood game could never work in Telltale's style.

• @Shwoo said: I'm not sure what you mean. The entire part of my post that you quoted was a response to the part of your post where you said that a Neverhood game could never work in Telltale's style.

Oh sorry, I thought you're commenting on my previous post, which leads to a skullmonkeys-related youtube video.

And I guess it could work, but it would be a lot different than the original franchise, which is exactly what Telltale's famous for NOT doing to its games.

• Nobody remembers one of my chilhood favorit adventure game :(
    Toonstruck!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUq7a0dGoa8

If you played it you will have a lot of cool memories after reading this post and watching this link.

If not, try to get it!!

Get it to work right now it's not so hard, you'll need Dosbox and some time, and trust me it's whort it.

• @Shwoo said: The Neverhood was full of characters after beating the game.

That's why I think it could work, incidentally. The Neverhood would be an entirely different and more active place with Klogg gone. Assuming that the movie truly is canned (and thus unable to add to the canon), then whoever were to pick up the franchise would have unparalleled creative freedom to work with. Any given paragraph from the Hall of Records has enough material to fuel a full-sized plot, and they're all vague enough to be very malleable.

The only issue I can see is that the fanbase is tiny compared to other adventures, and the bizarre nature of the game might be a hard sell to those who haven't played Neverhood or Skullmonkeys (or Boombots, for that matter.) Not to mention the fact that Doug TenNapel clearly has some sort of plan for the franchise, and he probably wouldn't hand over the rights very easily.

• @TheJoe said: Myst - Myst was a one off, I will kill anyone who tries to do that again, it was special.
    Maniac mansion - Maybe. But again, it was a one off
    Grim Fandango - Definitely.
    The Dig - Again, The Dig was a one off
    The Feeble Files - This was a one off, and should not be remade
    Blade Runner - That was a one off

You mention all of these other games are one offs, but don't seem to think that Grim Fandango was?

Add Comment