User Avatar Image

Playing time?

posted by NabaDwA on - last edited - Viewed by 355 users

Is it just me or am I the only 1 who is a bit worried about the playing time this edition of monkey island will have?

The first few games all estimated about 30 hours of playing time... MI4 was a bit more difficult for me and if i finished it i'm sure it would have taken a good deal more than 30 hours.

However... TOMI, the 1st episode most people finished in under 4 hours. And the general consensus is that it is a lot easier than traditional Monkey Island puzzles that can drive you crazy.
If all the rest of the episodes are going to be like this (say averaging 3/4 hours per episode = about 20 hours)

Anyone think this isnt enough? Or are we to expect a build up in the level of difficulty as the episodes go on?

31 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Personally, I found the playing time to be perfect. When you work full-time, you don't really have the time to spend 30 hours figuring out puzzles. I spent a couple hours a night playing the game, finished it in a few days and thoroughly enjoyed it.

It took me 4-5 hours total as well, but since it was spread out, it didn't really feel too short or too easy.

• Took me just under 5hours to complete due to thinking about some puzzles in a wrong way. (I always over-think things)

So, if this keeps up, it'll be great. But hey, there may be a long/short chapter in there I suppose. We can speculate all we want but we really have nothing to go on now with only 1 chapter.

• I think 4-5 hours is a better estimate for the episode if you are actually interested in talking to characters and exploring the world, and the possibility of getting stuck once or twice. Most fans I've spoken to completed it in around that time.

Also, I always thought that they used to overestimate the size of those old games when they talked about 30-40 hours. 20 seems more like it at most, and that's about the size that this will probably be, once it's done.

• OK i can agree with you on the estimated playing time for the first few games might have been a bit much... but for me, attempting to get through the game with no help at all would have cost me a few more hours... and im still not finished. 30 hours must include the frustration time...

Thats why i was wondering... because for me in tomi there was hardly any frustration time.

• Right. In those days there was no Hint Forum you could go to when you were stuck. You'd pretty much have to figure it out for yourself, or buy the hintbook. Did anyone here ever call hint hotlines for help?

• @Yonkey said: Right. In those days there was no Hint Forum you could go to when you were stuck. You'd pretty much have to figure it out for yourself, or buy the hintbook. Did anyone here ever call hint hotlines for help?

Now that you mention it, I think I might have done, once or twice. I remember having to go through this insane automatic system of narrowing down exactly where I was in the game to get the hint I needed.

• @NabaDwA said: The first few games all estimated about 30 hours of playing time...

They were all 10-15 hours. I know companies liked to write things like "30 hours playtime" on their boxes but that was never true.

• Except for Zelda - Twilight Princess. That game really takes 50 hours to finish.

• @Frown said: Except for Zelda - Twilight Princess. That game really takes 50 hours to finish.

You're kidding, right?

• @Frown said: Except for Zelda - Twilight Princess. That game really takes 50 hours to finish.

Are you sure, its more like windwaker, and that is because of all the little islands with side quests, and even that isnt 50 hours.

Add Comment