User Avatar Image

Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge: Special-Uber Edition!

posted by Silverwolfpet on - last edited - Viewed by 686 users

Fanmade. Impressive.
LucasArts, please watch this and make MI2: SE! The fans want it!

Here

(check the news update, credit goes to talesofmi.net that found this)

49 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @anthalont said: Impressive!
    Wish they'd make it!

*crosses fingers*

Me 2 :D

*crosses paws*

• @brian.shapiro said: I think Monkey Island 1 and 2 are fine as they are in the original version, and I don't really understand why people thought remakes were necessary. I don't really like the new art in the Monkey Island 1 remake either, I prefer the original art.

The reason why they remade them are because they wanted to attract new gamers to the series. New gamers do not like reading, they want to listen, if anything.
    And also VGA graphics aren't appealing to the new demographic, unfortunately.

• @Guinea said: The reason why they remade them are because they wanted to attract new gamers to the series. New gamers do not like reading, they want to listen, if anything.
    And also VGA graphics aren't appealing to the new demographic, unfortunately.

If they decided they had to do a remake, then OK.. but I really don't like the new art. Guybrush's hair looks ridiculous and he's too skinny and tall; for instance.

But more generally I think the decision underestimates young gamers, they're into retro gaming and old NES console games and arcade games.

• [quote] New gamers do not like reading, they want to listen, if anything. [/quote]

I don't know that this is necessarily true. Sure I enjoy listening to voiceover as much as the next guy, but even in Twilight Princess Nintendo still didn't record any voices for the characters. Or Mario Galaxy, or Super Paper Mario for that matter. And a great many gamers, some of whom may even have been new, found reading to be just fine there.

VGA graphics I can't really argue with. 320x200 is... not terribly high res. But if I had to choose to have MI2 with voice or MI2 with high res graphics, I'd choose voice over updated graphics any day.

• That looked really nice, but just doing the upgraded graphics that he showed.. that was sweet on it's own. That + voices would be a really nice remake of the game if you ask me.

• If they wanted to attract new gamers, all LucasArts had to do really was release the original games as Freeware with a good SCUMM emulator.

Is it attracting more gamers to charge for a remake?

• Thanks for the kind words.
    My aim was to lay the debate between 2D and 3D to rest. It's a nice little technique to get the best of both worlds. And it can even be used as a base for a 3d level or scene. A next step could be to get this scene into a realtime engine like Cryengine (beautiful ocean ahhh...)

It took approx 4 days for this particular piece. Could be done in 3 maybe if you are dedicated.
    The original image used for the projection was just the 700x524 concept art you can get at scummbar.com and which LucasArts released in 2002 (I doubled the resolution with some filtering before the projection)
    http://www.scummbar.com/games/screenshots/mi2/concept/5.jpg
    If LucasArts still has the original painted backgrounds a scan in higher resolution or just a new image with higher res (700x524 is ridicously low-res) could work wonders to improve the results a lot.
    Oh yeah and it's me the keylight mood guy :) Sorry again for starting that shitstorm a couple weeks back..

here are some wallpapers of the scene. I didn't really bother to touch them up extensively, so it's not perfect :)
    the Guybrush in the first one is based on Paco Vink's neat sprite.

720p:
    monkey2_uberpaper_01_sm.jpgmonkey2_uberpaper_02_sm.jpgmonkey2_uberpaper_03_sm.jpg

1080p *Uber* Size :):
    monkey2_uberpaper_01_sm.jpgmonkey2_uberpaper_02_sm.jpgmonkey2_uberpaper_03_sm.jpg

• Amazing :D maybe fans should just remake Monkey Island 2 :) seriously often, they seem to have a much better idea.

I just beg they dont bring back that HORRIBLE UI system they made for Monkey Island SE damn that really didn work :(

• That verb wheel and inventory interface combination should be made standard to both remakes. Even TMI would benefit from it.

Add Comment