User Avatar Image

Tales of monkey island on wii is unbearable

posted by cywarlock on - last edited - Viewed by 4.1K users

I love the monkey island series like many of us do but i cant even pretend to be satisfied with the product i've bought on wiiware today. for 10 dollars i dont expect the mona lisa but i sure as hell expect a game that functions without the insane amount of frame rate issues. so im just wondering... is this going to be fixed via update or is telltale going to lose customers?

163 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • People still use Wii's? I thought that novelty died out.

• @cywarlock said: I love the monkey island series like many of us do but i cant even pretend to be satisfied with the product i've bought on wiiware today. for 10 dollars i dont expect the mona lisa but i sure as hell expect a game that functions without the insane amount of frame rate issues. so im just wondering... is this going to be fixed via update or is telltale going to lose customers?

The framerates are only really bad on the introduction on the ship, they get a lot better after that.

• @rhaith said: People still use Wii's? I thought that novelty died out.

It's the biggest console system out there :rolleyes:

• As much as I do love this company; there ports are pretty bad. I thought about buying Sam and Max for the 360; thankfully, I didn't. My old computer can run the game better than the ported version, so I had my doubts about the Wii version. No offense TellTale, I still love you.

• I have to agree with the original poster. The framerate on Tales of Monkey Island for Wii is completely unacceptable. I swear it often drops into the single digits. And it's not just on the opening sequence as previously suggested. Also, the game often hangs for several seconds when you select an action before it actually executes it, almost like it's loading the animations or something. Finally, and this is possibly my biggest gripe, the audio is at the most offensively low sample rate I think I've ever heard in a modern game. It makes it impossible to enjoy the otherwise solid voice work.

I'm sorry to say that the technical issues of this game are hampering my ability to enjoy it at all. The same thing was actually true of Sam & Max Season 1 on Wii, which I actually stopped playing after 2 episodes due to technical problems. I'm not sure what's going on with Telltale and the Wii, but I guess as the old saying goes, "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice..." Ugh.

• The Strong Bad WiiWare games all seemed to work fairly well. But they also weren't asking nearly as much of the console graphically.

• As has been stated before, the frame rate is horrible! And I swear that during some parts it sounded like the voices were recorded with one of those cheap computer mics. Oh, and I think my favorite bug so far is when Guybrush suddenly stops walking, but still moves so it looks like he is gliding along everywhere... I know he is voodoo cursed, but dang. Really, for $10 I expected a lot better, and I would like to know if it runs any better on the PC or if it runs/sounds just as badly there as it does on the wii. If it's a wii problem, please don't let the rest of the ports reflect this badly on telltale and monkey island.

• I love Monkey Island, and i can tell the underlying game here is amazing. But the Wii port isn't doing the series any justice, and I doubt MI will be picking up new fans on the Wii based on this presentation. Diehard fans might be able to overlook the issues, but anyone new to the series who picks up the game out of curiosity probably won't be able to see past the flaws.

This discussion has been closed.