User Avatar Image

Tales of monkey island on wii is unbearable

posted by cywarlock on - last edited - Viewed by 4.1K users

I love the monkey island series like many of us do but i cant even pretend to be satisfied with the product i've bought on wiiware today. for 10 dollars i dont expect the mona lisa but i sure as hell expect a game that functions without the insane amount of frame rate issues. so im just wondering... is this going to be fixed via update or is telltale going to lose customers?

163 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Aeterna said: I looked up a video of the Wii version on youtube (link)

And the mentioned things (framerate, sound horribly static) seem okay.
    Can't say anything about the subtitles though as the person recorded it used a camcorder or something.

Hey! It doesn't look that bad. Standard wiiware kinda graphic/performance.

I think people just have too high an expectation of it being an AA production, without realising that there is just simply no way for the current Wii to handle big downloadable content and answer to high performance demands.

I think the game should satisfy the majority of Wii gamers. Remember, a big proportion of people who owns the Wii ain't that big on PC gaming anyway.

• @WedgeWalker said: I'm sorry, maybe I just don't get it. But achievements truly seem like a waste to me.

Replayability. And bragging rights.

And I watched the video linked above. Jesus christ the sound hurts. And everybody looks wider.

• @smashing said: Hey! It doesn't look that bad. Standard wiiware kinda graphic/performance.

I think people just have too high an expectation of it being an AA production, without realising that there is just simply no way for the current Wii to handle big downloadable content and answer to high performance demands.

I think the game should satisfy the majority of Wii gamers. Remember, a big proportion of people who owns the Wii ain't that big on PC gaming anyway.

Just watched it - actually looks fine to me. A little choppy but no so much so that it would render it unplayable.

• Obviously, Nintendo's at fault here. But I do think that Telltale should've seen the problems with releasing the game on the service, and predicted any shortcomings and balanced it against their reputation.

I will buy further episodes, but I do think this could leave a bad taste in many Wii owners mouths. I haven't bought the PC version of the game because my laptop and home PC are garbage.

And it seems as if patches aren't possible on the Wii. Nintendo had a problem with Wii Sports Resort, and have to provide an entire system update just to fix it. When there was a problem with Star Fox 64 on the VC, you had to re-download the game again with the fixes.

Anyways, I'd hope that Telltale could possibly release each episode in two chunks or so. Say you beat the first chunk on Chapter 1, the game could then prompt you to download the next. I'm not sure how this fits into WiiWare's rules, or if TT would even want to bother, but it's just an idea.

Great game though, shame it's rough around the edges on the Wii is all.

• @Pale Man said: Liar! It's only ~1.43 times the price of the season set!

For EU-citizens it's twice the price. 25€ for PC, 50€ for Wii.

• Yeah, all these reports are very disappointing :(

I was planning to get an episode (when available in EU) just to try it out also on the Wii, but my expectations have just sank :(

@Dan2593 said: I barley touch my wii because I don't feel I achieved anything and It doesn't seem very.. personal

:eek:
    Hey! Which of your wiis are you talking about here?? That's gross!

... :D

@Dan2593 said: Alrighty, I'm going to try again, this time by adjusting a few settings on my Wii.

Duh? Is this a joke? Which settings are available on the Wii that can affect performances? :confused:

• Wow... I didn't expect it to be THAT bad. No offense, TTG team, we know it's not your fault! For a 40Mb game it's great! ...but it may not be so great from a novice's point of view.
    Damn...is there any way to fix this in the future episodes?

• @Marzhin said: I didn't try the Wii version, but I have a question to the people who did and have problems with it : are you playing from the Wii hard-drive or from the SD card ?

well im playing from the wii hard drive though i didnt know there was supposed to be a difference

• @cywarlock said: well im playing from the wii hard drive though i didnt know there was supposed to be a difference

I don't think there should be a difference, but you never know ^^

• I have to disagree with everyone giving Telltale a free pass on this, instead blaming Nintendo and the 40MB restriction. If the best TT could do on WiiWare is a subpar port with such severe technical problems, they should have just avoided the platform and gone with something less restrictive, like XBLA. All they've accomplished is giving themselves a bad reputation with Wii owners and possibly turning newcomers off to the whole Monkey Island series. I don't think we should be affording TT any such excuses. They've been around long enough to know better and I really would have expected them to show their customers more respect.

This discussion has been closed.