User Avatar Image

Tales of monkey island on wii is unbearable

posted by cywarlock on - last edited - Viewed by 6.3K users

I love the monkey island series like many of us do but i cant even pretend to be satisfied with the product i've bought on wiiware today. for 10 dollars i dont expect the mona lisa but i sure as hell expect a game that functions without the insane amount of frame rate issues. so im just wondering... is this going to be fixed via update or is telltale going to lose customers?

163 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Whoever bought it on wii is retarded

    I love the wii for its exclusive.. but other games dont seem to work too well with a few exceptions

    MI is only for PC

    though i wouldnt have mind seeing how it wouldve worked on my 360 or ps3..

    but if u have the console + pc..
    always pc (for MI i mean)

  • @hamzie said: Whoever bought it on wii is retarded

    Maybe those people didn't have a PC capable of running it. Or maybe they just wanted to try it on the Wii for a change, to see what it was like. Or maybe they just really like playing games on their Wii, so chose it over PC. Don't be so rude.

    --

    Anyway, I haven't seen it on Wii yet but if these reports are anything to go by I think that TT either need to fix this or seriously reconsider the Wii as a viable platform for their games, sadly. I'll wait to see what more people say.

  • @schlew said: Obviously, Nintendo's at fault here. But I do think that Telltale should've seen the problems with releasing the game on the service, and predicted any shortcomings and balanced it against their reputation.

    I don't think Nintendo is at fault. Nintendo sets standards, and companies are supposed to make games within the limits. Like you said, TellTale should have realized that ToMI would not play in an acceptable way and never released it.

    I got it on WiiWare version because my computer played ToMI awful and I figured that it would play better on a console. But I found out it plays just the same if not worse on the Wii.... I wish I could get my money back

  • @SurplusGamer said: Maybe those people didn't have a PC capable of running it. Or maybe they just wanted to try it on the Wii for a change, to see what it was like. Or maybe they just really like playing games on their Wii, so chose it over PC. Don't be so rude.

    --

    Anyway, I haven't seen it on Wii yet but if these reports are anything to go by I think that TT either need to fix this or seriously reconsider the Wii as a viable platform for their games, sadly. I'll wait to see what more people say.

    It's great for games like SBCG4AP. From what I read, though, the games which require a lot of graphics should stay with other platforms.

  • @Marzhin said: I didn't try the Wii version, but I have a question to the people who did and have problems with it : are you playing from the Wii hard-drive or from the SD card ?

    I played from the system memory and the SD card both times it looked and sounded like a car crash!! It really is that bad to me!

  • @questinghero said: I don't think Nintendo is at fault. Nintendo sets standards, and companies are supposed to make games within the limits. Like you said, TellTale should have realized that ToMI would not play in an acceptable way and never released it.

    I got it on WiiWare version because my computer played ToMI awful and I figured that it would play better on a console. But I found out it plays just the same if not worse on the Wii.... I wish I could get my money back

    They should have realized that the wii would be a bad port and went with the xbox 360 as the port or no port at all!

  • @hplikelike said: It's great for games like SBCG4AP. From what I read, though, the games which require a lot of graphics should stay with other platforms.

    Woooh! Now ToMI is a high performance game, and not a crappy adventure game that should run on machines on integrated graphic cards, or PC that are 4 to 5 years old?

    Anyway, the point is it make logical sense to have ToMI on the wii, seeing that it is the biggest console around, and the ability to reach a crowd beyond those who are acquainted with PC games or other high graphic intensive games. Look at the audience Wii is hitting. With a game so accessible to the casual crowd, people who wanted more than just seek-a-hidden object games will seek out for something more, something like ToMI. Being deterred by the technical challenges should not cause TT to shy away from Wii.

    In fact, I applaud them to keep the game faithful to the PC game released earlier.

  • I was looking forward to trying out the Wii version as well.

    Maybe after the WiiWare releases are out, they can release a disc version? That would likely solve the audio compression problems, not sure if it would affect the frame rate.

  • @smashing said: Woooh! Now ToMI is a high performance game, and not a crappy adventure game that should run on machines on integrated graphic cards, or PC that are 4 to 5 years old?

    Anyway, the point is it make logical sense to have ToMI on the wii, seeing that it is the biggest console around, and the ability to reach a crowd beyond those who are acquainted with PC games or other high graphic intensive games. Look at the audience Wii is hitting. With a game so accessible to the casual crowd, people who wanted more than just seek-a-hidden object games will seek out for something more, something like ToMI. Being deterred by the technical challenges should not cause TT to shy away from Wii.

    In fact, I applaud them to keep the game faithful to the PC game released earlier.


    Um, my PC is 4 to 5 years old... :(

  • The voices and textures are the way they are because we're limited to 40 megs for WiiWare titles. The PC versions of our games are usually 150+ megs, and most modern games range anywhere from 1-10 gigabytes or more. Talk to Nintendo about this one.

    Frame rate issues will probably get sorted out eventually, but keep in mind that the Wii is just not a powerful console. An iPhone is much more powerful than a Wii, even.

This discussion has been closed.