User Avatar Image

Tales of monkey island on wii is unbearable

posted by cywarlock on - last edited - Viewed by 6.3K users

I love the monkey island series like many of us do but i cant even pretend to be satisfied with the product i've bought on wiiware today. for 10 dollars i dont expect the mona lisa but i sure as hell expect a game that functions without the insane amount of frame rate issues. so im just wondering... is this going to be fixed via update or is telltale going to lose customers?

163 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Might be worth for you scrapping the Wii, it will save you more time for PC, it will avoid unhappy customers, as we say here, either one does it right or not at all, and having a game lag on console, its unacceptable by any standarts.

Might be best to just refund Wii owners and scrap it on wii :)

Anyone having the skills of moving verb wheel and that inventory over into a screenshot of Tales of Monkey Island, im sure it would fit PERFECTLY! :)

• @RMJ1984 said: having a game lag on console, its unacceptable by any standarts.

I agree. lag on PC is one thing, but on a console it should not happen

• I did not realize that there was a 40mb limit on wiiware games, but it does explain a lot. However, if TT knew that those were the constraints of publishing on the system, they should have taken a long hard look at what they were doing. I have been a die hard fan for years, and although I enjoyed ToMI, those errors I listed earlier are really inexcusable . If the system isn't powerful enough for it, don't put it on it. And for the naysayers that watched a video, and think that proves we're all just nuts... Well it does run alright at times, but when there are a lot of animations/characters/actions going on in the same scene it tends to hang up quite a bit. Guess this all means I need to buy a new PC so I can play ToMI without issue...

Other than technical issues, LOVE THIS GAME!

• @ThatGuybrush18 said: I did not realize that there was a 40mb limit on wiiware games, but it does explain a lot. However, if TT knew that those were the constraints of publishing on the system, they should have taken a long hard look at what they were doing. I have been a die hard fan for years, and although I enjoyed ToMI, those errors I listed earlier are really inexcusable . If the system isn't powerful enough for it, don't put it on it. And for the naysayers that watched a video, and think that proves we're all just nuts... Well it does run alright at times, but when there are a lot of animations/characters/actions going on in the same scene it tends to hang up quite a bit. Guess this all means I need to buy a new PC so I can play ToMI without issue...

Dude has a point. The reasons for wanting to release on Wiiware are obvious, but there are standards of quality to uphold too, surely. 'The Wii just isn't very powerful' doesn't seem to be a particularly good excuse because it makes one wonder why the game was crammed onto it in the first place.

But it's good that the issues will (hopefully) be fixed.

• @SurplusGamer said: Dude has a point. The reasons for wanting to release on Wiiware are obvious, but there are standards of quality to uphold too, surely. 'The Wii just isn't very powerful' doesn't seem to be a particularly good excuse because it makes one wonder why the game was crammed onto it in the first place.

But it's good that the issues will (hopefully) be fixed.

I think it was probably Lucasarts' idea to jam it onto the Wii regardless of anything else, and while it's a good idea to put an adventure game on the Wii, as the controls work perfectly for TMI, it'd would've been MUCH more enjoyable as a disc release, rather than WiiWare. Sam and Max Save the World on Wii, for all its faults, puts TMI to shame.

• @ThatGuybrush18 said:

I agree, it really is a great Monkey Island game! The puzzles, the atmosphere, all the zaniness you can only get from Guybrush Threepwood. That's what makes the roughness of the Wii version so annoying, but even so, I'm glad to have this franchise back. Thanks to Telltale for making it happen.

• @Pale Man said: I think it was probably Lucasarts' idea to jam it onto the Wii regardless of anything else, and while it's a good idea to put an adventure game on the Wii, as the controls work perfectly for TMI, it'd would've been MUCH more enjoyable as a disc release, rather than WiiWare. Sam and Max Save the World on Wii, for all its faults, puts TMI to shame.

I wouldn't count on it being much to do with LucasArts. That's highly speculative and probably inaccurate. Lucasarts, just like all the other companies TTG have licensed IP from, probably have little to nothing to do with decisions like that. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

As for the controls, yes, I see how they would be perfect for Wii.

• @SurplusGamer said: I wouldn't count on it being much to do with LucasArts. That's highly speculative and probably inaccurate. Lucasarts, just like all the other companies TTG have licensed IP from, probably have little to nothing to do with decisions like that. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

As for the controls, yes, I see how they would be perfect for Wii.

I would imagine that Lucasarts would have some say in what platforms it would be developed for, I doubt they'd just blindly sign the rights over and say "do what you want"

• @RMJ1984 said: as we say here, either one does it right or not at all, and having a game lag on console, its unacceptable by any standarts.

Frame rate issues are obviously not good, but I think you may be exaggerating a little. I'm having a hard time thinking of a Wii (or any console) title that is free from lag. Most games are more action-oriented, though, and their slowdowns usually happen during intense, action-packed moments and wind up looking unintentionally cinematic.

• It was already said before by a wise sage

"The Wii is a piece of shit"

This discussion has been closed.