User Avatar Image

Tales of monkey island on wii is unbearable

posted by cywarlock on - last edited - Viewed by 6.2K users

I love the monkey island series like many of us do but i cant even pretend to be satisfied with the product i've bought on wiiware today. for 10 dollars i dont expect the mona lisa but i sure as hell expect a game that functions without the insane amount of frame rate issues. so im just wondering... is this going to be fixed via update or is telltale going to lose customers?

163 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Gotta love the trolls who just have to keep telling Wii owners to get another system, or their system sucks. :rolleyes:

• I'm sure Telltale is flattered that everyone is willing to throw LucasArts to the dogs when it comes to the product, but from Telltale's past few releases I get the impression that it's their idea.

I think it's understandable to be annoyed, as a PC customer, that development on another platform that you'll never see is holding back the product you want.

@Frederick Kim said: Gotta love the trolls who just have to keep telling Wii owners to get another system, or their system sucks. :rolleyes:

Yes, trolls like one of Telltale's own engineers. The Wii is not powerful, that is a TECHNOLOGICAL FACT, not an opinion. To develop for it, you need simpler textures. And Wiiware's limited filesize is 40mb, this is a TECHNOLOGICAL FACT that limits downloadable titles on that platform. Wiiware has the LOWEST LIMIT of all major download platforms. These are facts, not opinionated comments meant to incite anger.

• @pele325 said: I have to disagree with everyone giving Telltale a free pass on this, instead blaming Nintendo and the 40MB restriction. If the best TT could do on WiiWare is a subpar port with such severe technical problems, they should have just avoided the platform and gone with something less restrictive, like XBLA. All they've accomplished is giving themselves a bad reputation with Wii owners and possibly turning newcomers off to the whole Monkey Island series. I don't think we should be affording TT any such excuses. They've been around long enough to know better and I really would have expected them to show their customers more respect.

If it's as bad as these people said, yeah - I agree completely. I'm tempted to buy and download it to see for myself.

• i'm so p***ed off over this, i was tempted to get a wii because of sam and mac ports and few other games.

However, TOMI is what made me decide to go buy a second hand wii.

So after finding out that the port is watered-down experience, i'm pretty irritated. I was hoping to play it on the wii because i didn't expect any lag (since it's on a console after all)

The wii is probably the worst purchase i've ever made in my life and i'm kicking myself over and over for not buying a fecking xbox. I have absolutely no games to look forward to and i'm not going to buy TOMI for the wii anymore.

Telltale better release it on the disc!

£120 down the drain...

• @Rather Dashing said: I think it's understandable to be annoyed, as a PC customer, that development on another platform that you'll never see is holding back the product you want.

Only if you're a little kid. How exactly is the Wii "holding back" the product you want? You may as well blame the market, or Telltale, or life in general. Being angry at a gaming system is juvenile.

@Rather Dashing said: Yes, trolls like one of Telltale's own engineers. The Wii is not powerful, that is a TECHNOLOGICAL FACT, not an opinion. To develop for it, you need simpler textures. And Wiiware's limited filesize is 40mb, this is a TECHNOLOGICAL FACT that limits downloadable titles on that platform. Wiiware has the LOWEST LIMIT of all major download platforms. These are facts, not opinionated comments meant to incite anger.

Thanks for using ALL CAPS at the appropriate INTERVALS to make YOUR POINT!

The Wii may not be the most powerful platform on the market (though it is an innovative one). Calling it a POS in a Wii specific thread is just trolling, and claiming that trolling is "merely being honest" is a tired old tactic.

• @Frederick Kim said: Only if you're a little kid. How exactly is the Wii "holding back" the product you want? You may as well blame the market, or Telltale, or life in general. Being angry at a gaming system is juvenile.

No, there's a technological logic behind it. If Telltale has to develop with the Wii's limitations in mind, then they simply cannot make a product that fully takes advantage of the PC platform. Holding back certain developments for the limitations of another system more or less adds the limitations of the Wii to the PC version.

I bought TOMI on the PC, but the game is made with the assumption that it will be played on a Wii. Wii users get the benefit that it will run on their system(though apparently not too well), I get the benefit of that fact holding back the PC release.

Thanks for using ALL CAPS at the appropriate INTERVALS to make YOUR POINT!

I never realized that putting emphasis on important aspects was a bad thing.

The Wii may not be the most powerful platform on the market (though it is an innovative one). Calling it a POS in a Wii specific thread is just trolling, and claiming that trolling is "merely being honest" is a tired old tactic.

Or it's stating the facts of the technology. I really don't care for "console vs" discussions, because it generally boils down to childish screaming matches after the technical specs are gone over. But those technical specs are now affecting the product I want, and I don't really like that too much at all.

• @Rather Dashing said: No, there's a technological logic behind it. If Telltale has to develop with the Wii's limitations in mind, then they simply cannot make a product that fully takes advantage of the PC platform. Holding back certain developments for the limitations of another system more or less adds the limitations of the Wii to the PC version.

Everything you said just backs up my earlier post (if what you claim here is true, which I find doubtful). You may as well be angry about market forces, which cause Telltale to seek out Wii gamers, or Telltale itself for being too "lazy" to create different versions of the game, in the same manner as the Ghostbusters video game.

I find it much more likely there are other reasons Telltale isn't putting in the developments you want, such as time, budget and manpower issues.

• @Frederick Kim said: Everything you said just backs up my earlier post (if what you claim here is true, which I find doubtful). You may as well be angry about market forces, which cause Telltale to seek out Wii gamers

I believe you misread me. I am actually iffy about Telltale's decision to release it on the Wii in the first place. I am not mad at the Wii itself specifically. I enjoy the thing. I love Boom Blox, WarioLand, and Endless Ocean. But I don't think ports from other systems work for it, and I think developing for Wii and PC is a bad idea. Another option is to develop exclusively for the Wii, but I'd hate to miss out on the benefits I get from them for a PC release.

or Telltale itself for being too "lazy" to create different versions of the game, in the same manner as the Ghostbusters video game.

Telltale does not have the resources of the Ghostbusters game. The thing was developed for $15 million dollars and with a HUGE team of developers with as much time as they could possibly need. This is not the situation Telltale is in, and I'm actually fairly happy with this in most cases.

I find it much more likely there are other reasons Telltale isn't putting in the developments you want, such as time, budget and manpower issues.

Except that this is not the case for Sam and Max and Wallace and Gromit, their games built for the PC or the PC and a less limited platform. Now while it's true that a lto more money and a lot more people would allow them to overcome these, it's just not worth it for what they'd get out of it, unlike something more mainstream like the Ghostbusters retail release.

• Having seen the flash video on youtube I must say it does not look as bad as people complain here. The framerate while not fully reaching the pc version looks fine to me, the audio compression oh well, especially Elaine has suffered but it is understandable even for me and I am not a native speaker. I am really tempted to buy it for the wii just to check out the complaints.

The PC version is better of course (well even Mario 64 looks better on a PC but that is a different issue) but the wii and especially wiiware has technical limits and to judge by the youtube video telltale did one hell of a job to port it.

• Has anybody from Tell Tale commented about the Wii issue?

This discussion has been closed.