User Avatar Image

Tales of monkey island on wii is unbearable

posted by cywarlock on - last edited - Viewed by 6.2K users

I love the monkey island series like many of us do but i cant even pretend to be satisfied with the product i've bought on wiiware today. for 10 dollars i dont expect the mona lisa but i sure as hell expect a game that functions without the insane amount of frame rate issues. so im just wondering... is this going to be fixed via update or is telltale going to lose customers?

163 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @WedgeWalker said: I'm just saying, those were strong words.

And I stand by them. The Wii and DS are extremely underpowered and their popularity doesn't remove the hardware limitations. :)

@WedgeWalker said: And regarding the Wii, that the iPhone is more powerful seemed odd to me. So I looked it up. Not that I didn't take your word. It just surprised me. Wondered in what way the iPhone is more powerful.

The extra RAM is really what makes the difference. Of the Wii's 88 MB of RAM, a not insignificant chunk of that is always being used by the OS and is unavailable to developers. The Wii's RAM is also split into two separate banks, each of which has different read/write metrics and you can't really spill from one to another if you need to.

As I said before, everything in computer science is about striking a balance between a small memory footprint, or having blistering fast algorithms. When you are limited in file size and memory footprint, you spend a lot of processing time decompressing things, deciding what needs to be loaded in memory at the moment, streaming things on/off the disk, and so on. If you have more memory, you can use cheaper (or no) compression, spend less time worrying about how much stuff can be loaded, hit the disk less frequently, memoize calculations, and other awesome stuff.

A little bit of RAM goes a huge way in letting you use faster algorithms. It's more important than a faster processor, IMO.

• Thanks for the info Yare. That makes sense.

It is strange that Nintendo decided to low-ball the Wii's memory so much. If the processor is like the scientist doing math, and memory is like the chalk-board that he/she uses when doing the math...why make the chalkboard so small. It's like a bottleneck, isn't it? 88MB with 3MB for textures, whereas the PS360 both have 512MB. I get that Nintendo wanted to keep costs down. But even 256MB would, I suspect, make a huge difference.

Anyway, I know you guys are trying to make the best products possible. And TMI is great so far.

• I came here looking for info on the PC version after being severely disappointed from the WiiWare version. The game seems fun, but the limits are just unacceptable.

After reading Yare's responses, I will no longer be buying the PC version or any Tell Tale games in the future. If you treat customers by blaming the equipment they use, when you knew damn well what those limits were, it's your own fault for releasing an inferior product.

Good luck, and maybe you will learn from this mistake.

• @sirgrim said: After reading Yare's responses, I will no longer be buying the PC version or any Tell Tale games in the future. If you treat customers by blaming the equipment they use, when you knew damn well what those limits were, it's your own fault for releasing an inferior product.

I'm sorry you feel that way. We needed to release on the Wii, so we also needed to make it work as well as our time and budget constraints allowed. I certainly didn't intend to "blame" anybody for the hardware they use.

• I'm kind of sad to see so many people not bothering with the game at all now. I'm wondering if maybe I'm being a bit too particular. The gameplay is still there, it's just the dressing that's somewhat messy. I've confused myself as to how I feel about this Wii port now. I'm disapointed, but extremely happy. I get to play the game now, and that's all I really wanted. It may be me coercing myself into thinking there's been a change, but after changing my Wii's settings to 480i and Stereo, I seem to have improved things. We'll see if I'm crazy or not later.

• User Avatar Image
    Kevin Telltale Staff

Concerning the iPhone, another way to think about this is the amount of "resources per pixel" available. The iPhone is responsible for 153,600 pixels where as the Wii is responsible for 307,200 pixels. There's a lot of work that goes into each pixel, and the Wii is outputing twice the content, requiring twice as much work and consuming bigger textures, geometry databases, etc. So in the end, the iPhone needs to do less work, yet has similar resources to the Wii.

• @WedgeWalker said: I agree Yare. Here here.

I've found message boards where random posters claim the iPhone is more powerful than the Wii. But I personally can't find any hard evidence. Of course, I don't work at TellTale, so you might very well know better than I Yare. But some evidence would be nice.

I am not sure if it is more powerful, since it is hard to judge but my personal guess is both are equally powerful. Lets look at the spec. The wii has a power pc processor roughly at the speed of a G3 and a graphics processor which is around the speed the stuff you were able to get 7 years ago on the PC side.

The IPhone has a samsung ARM which probably is around the same speed as the G3, but has clearly more ram (128MB while the wii has 88MB), the integrated graphics processor
    is either a power vr SGX520 (7 MPolys/s, 250Mpx/s)
    or a SGX530/1 (14 MPolys/s)
    the biggest question here is how good the graphics processor on the wii is Nintendo is tight lipped regarding it.
    But since it is very close to the gamecube and that one had following specs
    40 (peak) MPolys/s, the wiis should have 60MPoly/s with additional shader functions.

So the wii is more powerful in the graphics departement but the rest is up to par or superior on the iphone. Nintendo aimed rather low on the specs for the wii.
    But the biggest problem the devs really faced here, is the Nintendo imposed 40 mb limit for wiiware!

• @[TTG said: Yare;172666']And I stand by them. The Wii and DS are extremely underpowered and their popularity doesn't remove the hardware limitations. :)

The extra RAM is really what makes the difference. Of the Wii's 88 MB of RAM, a not insignificant chunk of that is always being used by the OS and is unavailable to developers. The Wii's RAM is also split into two separate banks, each of which has different read/write metrics and you can't really spill from one to another if you need to.

As I said before, everything in computer science is about striking a balance between a small memory footprint, or having blistering fast algorithms. When you are limited in file size and memory footprint, you spend a lot of processing time decompressing things, deciding what needs to be loaded in memory at the moment, streaming things on/off the disk, and so on. If you have more memory, you can use cheaper (or no) compression, spend less time worrying about how much stuff can be loaded, hit the disk less frequently, memoize calculations, and other awesome stuff.

A little bit of RAM goes a huge way in letting you use faster algorithms. It's more important than a faster processor, IMO.

Having limited hardware capability doesn't preclude the DS from having an excellent library of games. I could give a crap about the iPhone and its games since it's not primarily a gaming device and doesn't have anywhere near as expansive a library of games of different genres. Graphics and power aren't everything in gaming, it's how the specs they have are utilized to make the best games possible (gameplay). Other developers seemed to have no trouble making great-looking and fun DS games despite the "lame architecture."
    Loving the zomg!specs a little too much...and maybe sipping some haterade on the side? :p

• @TookiGuy said: ^ If they didn't port it, they'd barely make up for development costs. Though why wasn't XBOX Live arcade chosen? Controls?

Controls probably paid a large part, but, correctme if i'm wrong, but it is getting a releaseon Xbox live next year. It'll probably be like Sam& Max save the world, in the respect that it will be alltogether.

• @LinkChicky23 said: Having limited hardware capability doesn't preclude the DS from having an excellent library of games. I could give a crap about the iPhone and its games since it's not primarily a gaming device and doesn't have anywhere near as expansive a library of games of different genres. Graphics and power aren't everything in gaming, it's how the specs they have are utilized to make the best games possible (gameplay). Other developers seemed to have no trouble making great-looking and fun DS games despite the "lame architecture."
    Loving the zomg!specs a little too much...and maybe sipping some haterade on the side? :p

Ah, but if the console is underpowered in comparison to the other consoles out there, porting becomes a nightmare, i would imagine. The whole structure of the game would have to be reworked. That's the reaason the wii doesn't see too many multiplatform releases shared with PS3/360 (take COD:MW2 for example. COD 5 sold very well on wii, but due to hardware limitations, porting it to wii would take a sgnificant amount of development time, and budget and as such was not faesible. The same can be said about Resident evil 5)

This discussion has been closed.