User Avatar Image

Consolidated "Adventure Games We'd Like to See" thread

posted by Marduk on - last edited - Viewed by 766 users

Threads suggesting adventure games we'd like to see TellTale work on are no new thing to the TTG forums but I thought it might be a good idea if we had the one list of titles rather that dozens of threads that have scrolled away. Every few days or so I'll even update the thread with suggestions from those who've replied.

So far they're mostly old Adventure games nostalgic fans would like to see innovated but there are also TV shows, books and movies in there, too.

I might make a poll on this, depending on responses.

I'll begin by CP'ing lists from other such threads' (FYI, I've omitted 'ideas' that TTG should continue various series' they've already began);

[LIST]
[*]Rex the Runt Adventures
[*]Day of the Tentacle
[*]Myst
[*]Indiana Jones
[*]Simon the Sorcerer
[*]The Simpsons
[*]Doctor Who
[*]Gabriel Knight series (I don't know if this is an existing game franchise or a TV series or what).
[*]Pushing Daisies (ig0rpwnwEd; I LOVE YOU!)
[*]Maniac mansion
[*]Grim Fandango
[*]Space Quest
[*]Futurama
[*]Red Dwarf
[*]The Dig
[*]Full Throttle
[*]MacGyver
[*]Family Guy
[*]Doctor Who
[*]King's Quest
[*]Police Quest
[*]Quest For Glory
[*]Loom
[*]Calvin and Hobbes
[*]Star Trek
[*]The Mighty Boosh
[*]Get Smart
[*]'An H.P. Lovecraft based game'
[*]Garfield
[*]Barney Google (Somebody might want to enlighten me, here)
[*]The Boondocks (and here)
[*]Discworld (Yes, yes; oh please god yes!)
[*]Monk
[*]Psych
[*]Laura Bow (and also here)
[*]Simon the Sorceror
[*]A Nuklear Power RPG (?)
[*]Sanford and Son (I've heard of this but never actually seen it)
[*]Leisure Suit Larry
[*]The Neverhood
[*]The Feeble Files
[*]Beneath a steel sky (maybe TTG should just buy Revolution. I can't imagine it'll cost much considering all the cuts they've had to make and it'll be a sure fire way to get a leg in the UK)
[*]Blade Runner
[*]Gateway
[*]Death Gate
[*]Shannara
[*]Blazing Dragons
[*]Digimon (this guy, apparently, was serious)
[*]So Blonde
[*]Kyrandia
[*]Normality
[*]Nightlong
[*]Sanitarium
[*]Stupid Invaders
[*]Ceville
[*]Flight of the Amazon Queen
[*]Still Life
[*]Chewy
[*]The Accolade adventures (I may have got confused, here, the way that MusicallyInspired's post was phrased made me thing it was but I could have been wrong).
[*]Zak McKracken
[*]Gang Garrison (no idea if this is real)
[*]Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman"
[*]Lucifer (Sandman Spinoff)
[*]Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
[*]Dilbert
[/LIST]

120 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Leisure Suit Larry - the last one Al Lowe made (LSL7) was the best in the series. Plans to make its sequel were shelved then axed due to lack of funding and confidence, I'm led to believe. Sierra/Vivendi Universal lost their way with MCL (but I still enjoyed it) and BOB got such terrible reviews that places like Amazon are dropping prices to £6 just to get rid of the damn things! The original Larry franchise lends itself perfectly to the episodic format and TT have a reputation for hauling the original design teams in. To top this, at the beginning of another thread, it appeared a forum member got in contact with Al Lowe about this and he didn't say no (personally, I think he wants his character back and revert Larry's reputation to an extremely witty tease).

DuckTales - I loved that show when I was a child! This too would fit an episodic format perfectly. Disney are far too busy with High School Musical sequels and Pirates of the Caribbean to worry about a forgotten thing such as DT. If TT politely drop Disney a line, enquiring the possibility of negotiating a licence, they might get it. If they can get Monkey Island off LucasArts, I believe TT are geniuses when it comes to bargaining!

• Anyone play Rex Nebula? That could work...

• I'm not sure if there'd be any point to a Hitchhiker's game when most of the people playing it would already know the story and therefore it wouldn't be challenging at all. If Douglas Adams was still with us I'd love for him to write the script for a game but alas that could never happen.

I still say Jasper Fforde's 'Thursday Next' series would be great and the episodic format would fit nicely too (although I'd prefer them to follow on in the same way they've done MI).

I agree with the Discworld recommendation 100%. The first two games were fantastic and Discworld Noir was very playable.

You'll be hard-pressed to find someone here who doesn't want to see a Grim Fandango sequel and Telltale would be perfect for the job!

• @guitarsareboring said: I'm not sure if there'd be any point to a Hitchhiker's game when most of the people playing it would already know the story and therefore it wouldn't be challenging at all. If Douglas Adams was still with us I'd love for him to write the script for a game but alas that could never happen.

Have you played the Hitchhikers text adventure game? I had read the books many times and that was still really tough.

I'm not saying it would work in episodic format though.

• @guitarsareboring said: You'll be hard-pressed to find someone here who doesn't want to see a Grim Fandango sequel and Telltale would be perfect for the job!

I don't really think Grim Fandango should necessarily get a sequel, and if it did, I'd prefer that Mr. Schafer's lads over at Double Fine do it.

• @Toothless Gibbon said: Have you played the Hitchhikers text adventure game? I had read the books many times and that was still really tough.

I'm not saying it would work in episodic format though.

Yeah, it was TOO tough, I hadn't read the books at the time and it really punished you for it!

• @Pale Man said: I don't really think Grim Fandango should necessarily get a sequel, and if it did, I'd prefer that Mr. Schafer's lads over at Double Fine do it.

I retract my statement then!

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

I actually went through the whole list from the first post, but as it was such a big block of text, it didn't get approved or something. Good thing I copy-pasted it to a text file so I could try again at a later date!

Let's go through that original list and see if they'd be good ideas or not. I'll even link the less familiar ones to their respective Wikipedia pages, so you don't have to. You're welcome!

[LIST]
    [*]Rex the Runt - this could possibly work. The humour is a cross between Sam & Max and Strong Bad, and Telltale do already have ties with Aardman Animation. It's not the most popular show in the world though, and it has been 8 years since it aired.
    [*]Day of the Tentacle - I'm not sure this would work well as an episodic series, but otherwise I'm all for it.
    [*]Myst - Wouldn't work. It's a very serious series, and primarily played from a first-person perspective. It'd be too much of a shift for Telltale, not to mention that Cyan Worlds, the original developers of the series, are doing fine on their own.
    [*]Indiana Jones - Again, not at all sure this would work as a series of episodic adventures. The games have moved into that awful catch-all phrase 'action adventure', and dodgy Wii controls and unskippable cutscenes aside, it's worked out pretty well.
    [*]Simon the Sorcerer - Doing fine on its own. Well, I say fine, but has anyone here actually played the newer ones? Yeesh. Besides, there's a new one out in Germany anyway. It doesn't need a helping hand - it needs to be shoved over the edge.
    [*]The Simpsons - Really cannot see this working as an adventure game. As with Indy, 3D platformers seem to be working pretty well for that particular franchise.
    [*]Doctor Who - I would love this. I think there was another thread mentioning that this was a possibility, and I think it'd work pretty well. It's also guaranteed to be better then previous Doctor Who games - Top Trumps, anyone?
    [*]Gabriel Knight - This was an old adventure game series that did everything wrong (odd 2D interface, FMV, dodgy 3D camera), yet still worked. If Jane Jensen ever finishes Gray Matter, she'll probably make a GK4.
    [*]Pushing Daisies - I suppose this could work, as a series of Private Investigations, but I think Bryan Fuller is actually going ahead with a comic book "third series", much like Angel or Buffy.
    [*]Maniac Mansion - If you've heard of LucasFan Games, chances are you know about both Maniac Mansion Deluxe (the remake) and Maniac Mansion Mania, the Reality-On-The-Norm style series set within the Maniac Mansion universe. That's more than enough MM. Provided you speak German.
    [*]Grim Fandango - I'd much prefer a remake with better controls to a sequel that would need a completely different story set in the same world to avoid invalidating the greatness of the original. It was such a beautifully self-contained story, I can't think of a single way you could continue it.
    [*]Space Quest - I think this is a series from a bygone era. Or, to put it another way, it's Monkey Island in space, and we don't need another MI, do... we...
    [*]Futurama - Yes please! The writing is, and always has been, the best thing about Futurama, and an adventure game would be the best way to make use of that. The characters, the setting, the chance to make Bender tell people to bite his shiny metal... I think this could work extremely well. Plus, with the announcement of a new series coming in 2010, this could be an excellent tie-in.
    [*]Red Dwarf - Again, could work well but I think Doug Naylor would have to let other people at least help out with the writing in order to make it funny, and I don't think he'd really be willing to do that. Shame. Plus, they'd never get the look of the characters just right.
    [*]The Dig - Self-contained story that doesn't need to be picked up again.
    [*]Full Throttle - I'd love to see more adventures of Ben Throttle (yes, that's his full name), but I really doubt this would work episodically, and I think it'd be too dark for Telltale.
    [*]MacGyver - Somehow, I doubt most players would be able to figure out they need to put sodium metal into a cold pill casing and drop it into a container of water in order to make a hydrogen bomb*.
    [*]Family Guy - As before, this'd work better as a decent 3D platformer, unlike the abysmal effort that most people have played.
    [*]Doctor Who - wait, didn't I already..?
    [*]King's Quest - I think that's died a well-deserved death. Don't believe me? Try playing the first one and see how long you can go for without dying.
    [*]Police Quest - The life and times of modern policeman are bogged down in paperwork, basic crimes and more paperwork. I highly doubt it'd make a particularly interesting series of video games, and if you ever played Police Quest 2, I'm almost certain you'll agree.
    [*]Quest For Glory - Another self-contained series which wouldn't really benefit from being forcibly re-opened. Or picked open, anyway. (Now that's what I call an in-joke.)
    [*]Loom - Given the new relationship between Telltale and LucasArts, I suspect this would work extremely well. Not sure if it'd actually sell, but that's not really my department.
    [*]Calvin and Hobbes - While the comics themselves were wonderfully charming and very funny, I really don't see how they'd make good adventure games. Unless they were something like Pajama Sam. *shudder*
    [*]Star Trek - Given that the series now has a blank slate, there's really no limit to what could be done, and sadly, given all the possibilities, I don't think they'll decide to do a bunch of adventure games. 3D platformers or space RTS titles are more likely.
    [*]The Mighty Boosh - I've never watched it, and having read the Wikipedia page, I don't see how it'd work out as an adventure game. It seems a little too surreal.
    [*]Get Smart - Never saw the TV show (before my time), but I can imagine what it's like. Again, not altogether sure it'd cross over into an adventure game particularly well, and it's a pretty old franchise...
    [*]'An H.P. Lovecraft based game' - This just plain wouldn't work as an adventure game. HP Lovecraft wrote extremely dark and macabre stories, and they'd only really translate into video games as horror titles. Not at all appropriate for adventure titles made by Telltale.
    [*]Garfield - He's had two lousy movies and a repetitive comic strip. These do not make for a good game. Besides, he's had plenty and they've all been rubbish.
    [*]Barney Google Too old and too irrelevant.
    [*]The Boondocks - Again, I've not seen the show, but I doubt it'd work as an adventure game series. I'll have to YouTube it, seems like an interesting show.
    [*]Discworld - I think this would work pretty well. The Discworld series has always had a slightly (but not overpowering) British sense of humour about it, and it's had adventure games before. Given how long it's been since the last one, a return for Eric Idle as Rincewind in a series of episodic titles would be extremely welcome, I feel.
    [*]Monk - I've seen a couple of episodes of this, and again, I think it's too quirky for a video game. Though I'd say the same for House, and they made a DS game of that, so what do I know?
    [*]Psych - See 'Monk'.
    [*]Laura Bow - The games were great, but they're a long gone relic of a golden era. Modern replacements are Art of Murder (No Wikipedia page, sorry) and Secret Files, though I'll agree that they're not as good.
    [*]Simon the Sorceror - Again? Did you even check this list? :p
    [*]A Nuklear Power RPG - If by 'Nuklear Power RPG' you mean 'get Brian Clevinger of NuklearPower.com to help script a game', then YES. Given that 8-Bit Theater, the main attraction of NuklearPower.com, is a sprite-based comic retelling of the very first Final Fantasy, a Nuklear Power RPG would basically be a remake of Final Fantasy I. And hasn't that been remade enough?
    [*]Sanford and Son - Why would anyone think this would make a good game?
    [*]Leisure Suit Larry - I think this has had it's day, unless you could get Al Lowe back on it. Even then, it'd be too adult for Telltale anyway.
    [*]The Neverhood - You know that this had a sequel (Skullmonkeys) and they're making a film of it, right? If the film takes off, then yeah, this may be good. But I think Doug TenNapel would make it rather then Telltale.
    [*]The Feeble Files - I don't think the original was good enough to warrant more of it.
    [*]Beneath A Steel Sky - I highly suspect that if Revolution are still going, they'll make this eventually.
    [*]Blade Runner - We already got one fantastic adventure game. Let's leave it be.
    [*]Gateway - I think the original poster was referring to this, in which case I don't think it'd work out as an adventure game. Maybe as an Elite-style flight sim or something like Mace Griffin, which had spaceship-stlye segments and First-Person shooter aspects. Well, maybe.
    [*]Death Gate - Never heard of it, which doesn't bode well at all.
    [*]Shannara - I really do doubt this would work out at all. You'd have to be incredibly faithful to the books to avoid some sort of uprising from the fans, and somehow I doubt that anyone would honestly want that job, especially when the world has been going for thousands of pages already.
    [*]Blazing Dragons - A much better suggestion then some of the others in this list, but it's too old a title and it's too obscure, even by Telltale's standards.
    [*]Digimon - Ha!
    [*]So Blonde - A little early to be calling for more, isn't it? Besides, they're already doing a 'what if..?' remake for the Wii and DS. I'm looking forward to it, actually.
    [*]Kyrandia - I'd actually like to see these remade, perhaps allowing players to explore for 5 minutes without dying.
    [*]Normality - This could work I suppose, but you'd pretty much have to redo everything about the game in order to make it work. Would you really want that?
    [*]Nightlong - Too old, not obscure, too much work.
    [*]Sanitarium - Self-contained story, doesn't need or deserve a sequel.
    [*]Stupid Invaders - There was an incredibly faithful game (which I really should track down at some point), but the series is originally French and sadly too obscure to really warrant a repeat.
    [*]Ceville - Again, this only recently came out. Stop jumping the gun!
    [*]Flight of the Amazon Queen - It's not a bad little game, but it's too similar to Indiana Jones for most people to want another one.
    [*]Still Life - A sequel for this just came out! Gah!
    [*]Chewy - You mean Chewy: ESC from F5? That was a terrible game! Terrible!
    [*]The Accolade adventures - Wikiepdia turned up nothing, so I'm gonna leave this one alone.
    [*]Zak McKracken - There's several fan sequels for this. The New Adventures of... is one, Between Time and Space is another. A remake of the first one would be much appreciated though, it looks pretty basic these days.
    [*]Gang Garrison - Cute. But no.
    [*]Neil Gaiman's 'The Sandman' - This would most definately not work as an adventure game. And even if it were to somehow be made into a game at all, Telltale would not be the people for it.
    [*]Lucifer - See 'The Sandman'.
    [*]Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - With the new one by Eoin Colfer due out later this year, a game wouldn't be amiss, but somehow I can't really see it happening. How would you go about doing it, anyway? Remake the old one that was absurdly difficult?
    [*]Dilbert - I'd actually quite like to see this. Think Strong Bad in the office he works at, then set a series of random adventures there. You wouldn't be too far off the mark, and I think (with enough imagination and occasional adventures 'out there') it could work pretty well.
    [/List]
    *An actual plot device from the very first episode.

• @Darth Marsden said: [*]Zak McKracken - There's several fan sequels for this. The New Adventures of... is one, Between Time and Space is another. A remake of the first one would be much appreciated though, it looks pretty basic these days.

Actually, if you can get your hands on the FM Towns version of Zak Mckracken, it looks pretty nice.

gfs_94813_2_3.jpg

Add Comment